Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it has been two weeks from my last range trip I decided to enjoy this cool weather and headed for the range.

I put a few handguns in a case, five boxes of ammunition in a tool bag, grabbed my range bag, and headed out.

Hit the café on the way and had coffee and an omelet with shaved rare Ribeye steak and chopped mushrooms and tomatoes in it. Finished off breakfast with another cup of coffee and two Beignets.

I had five handguns with me..... a stainless Remington R1S Enhanced 1911 in .45 acp, a Springfield Stainless Range Officer Target 1911 in .45 acp, A Kimber Stainless Target II 1911 in 9mm, a Rock Island Precision International double stack 1911 in 9mm, and a Bond Bullpup Pistol in 9mm.

All of my targets were shot at 10 yards free hand. In the .45's I was shooting a favorite reload of mine using a 200 grain LSW. In the 9's I was shooting Winchester White Box 115 grain 9mm.

I had a very satisfying day shooting, visiting with a few of the old timers, drinking more coffee, and telling war stories as well as I could remember them! I told those boys that I would have been a shoe in for a CMH but my CO's wife liked me more than him so he never put me in for it! I'm pretty sure a couple of them might even have believed me!

Anyway, here are a couple pictures of my targets and the guns I used. I don't know why but I just can't warm up to that Rock Island 9... It refuses to give me the groups the other guns do. Maybe I'm trying to compare apples and oranges...

In the first picture, left to right.... Kimber, Remington, Springfield, Rock Island, and Bond. Second picture is the target from the 1911's and the third picture is the Bond Bullpup.

Don

Attachments

·
Registered
24,939 Posts
Great way to waste a day. I haven't done that for a while now.

Reactions: BangBang

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Good looking bunch of pistols! The Rock Island? Puts some proper grips on it! ;)
Darbo, I would love to put some grips on that Rock Island but nobody makes them. VZ made them for a while but because there is so much difference in the Rock Island grip frames from one to the other they were constantly getting their grips back with complaints that they didn't fit. For that reason they quit making them

The only grips I can find to fit a rock Double Stack are the ones you see in the picture. They are wrap around finger groove grips manufactured to fit a Pàra 14. They don't fit perfectly but you can cut out a small Groove to fit the thumb safety linkage with an exacto knife and make them fit. They are softer and little bit sticky like a set of pack Myers or hoag's.

Custom grip makers don't want to make them because the grips for a Double Stack Rock are very complicated on the underside. There is linkage 4 the thumb safeties and some linkage for the trigger and it's all underneath the grips. It requires different angles, depth, and shape that takes a lot of time and labor to manufacture by hand. The grips are originally meant to be manufactured on a CNC machine. A custom maker working by hand has to charge so much money for the grips most people will not pay for them. I have 3 rocks and I would be glad to pay the money but I can't find a grip maker who's willing to tie up that much time for a customer that only wants three sets. I wish I could find someone who could make grips on a 3D printer.

I have six or seven 1911's in addition to these in the picture and the only ones that do not have custom grips are the three rocks.

Don

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
Very nice way to fix a "nothing to do"

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Yeah I haven't been to the range since early July as I lost my shooting companion to a knee replacement.

·
Registered
37,064 Posts
I am going to the range later today.
thinking of taking one of MY Tanfoglio 10 MM cause I want to really kill them paper bad guys!
don't know what else to carry???
maybe one of the 1911's???
decisions ,decisions.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Darbo, I would love to put some grips on that Rock Island but nobody makes them. VZ made them for a while but because there is so much difference in the Rock Island grip frames from one to the other they were constantly getting their grips back with complaints that they didn't fit. For that reason they quit making them

The only grips I can find to fit a rock Double Stack are the ones you see in the picture. They are wrap around finger groove grips manufactured to fit a Pàra 14. They don't fit perfectly but you can cut out a small Groove to fit the thumb safety linkage with an exacto knife and make them fit. They are softer and little bit sticky like a set of pack Myers or hoag's.

Custom grip makers don't want to make them because the grips for a Double Stack Rock are very complicated on the underside. There is linkage 4 the thumb safeties and some linkage for the trigger and it's all underneath the grips. It requires different angles, depth, and shape that takes a lot of time and labor to manufacture by hand. The grips are originally meant to be manufactured on a CNC machine. A custom maker working by hand has to charge so much money for the grips most people will not pay for them. I have 3 rocks and I would be glad to pay the money but I can't find a grip maker who's willing to tie up that much time for a customer that only wants three sets. I wish I could find someone who could make grips on a 3D printer.

I have six or seven 1911's in addition to these in the picture and the only ones that do not have custom grips are the three rocks.

Don
Of course my comment was one of those half kidding/half serious comments. Who knew that pistol required unique grips? Obviously I didn't. Now I wish I had a solution for your dilemma!

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey Jimmy, are you planning on joining us for the Taurus armed get together next weekend?

Don

·
Registered
37,064 Posts
Of course my comment was one of those half kidding/half serious comments. Who knew that pistol required unique grips? Obviously I didn't. Now I wish I had a solution for your dilemma!
My Dan Wesson High Capacity Point Man also uses P-14 grips and magazines as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts