Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I need to express my thanks to a few people on this forum that insisted that I take a second look at the Witness. So thank you jwc007, TheBulldog and NYPD for the good advice.

My new baby is a Witness Elite Match in 45ACP. It was suppose to have come in last Sunday but didn’t show up until yesterday. Thursday’s are my range day so I was starting to sweat it just a little bit. First the good stuff. When I ordered the Match I was under the impression, having read everything EAA published, that the front sights were interchangeable for elevation and the rear sights were adjustable for windage only. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the front sight was fixed and the rear sight was not only adjustable for windage but also elevation. A much better arrangement for target shooting in my book. The fit and finish was a little better than I expected…another pleasant surprise. The only negative about the basic package was the lack of a second magazine. No big deal but an inconvenience until I can get Bud’s to ship another one out.

I spent Wednesday night loading up ammo for my first shoot. The first time out is like a “getting to know you” date. I wanted to take it easy and also feel out my new toy for its pluses and minuses. I loaded up a total of 90 rounds. All were 230gr lead truncated cones. The first 30 were in front of 3.6gr of the Bull the next 30 in front of 3.8gr of the same and the last 30 loaded with 4.1gr of Bullseye. What I’m looking for is the lightest and most accurate load that will cycle the weapon. I don’t use a target for the first 10 rounds of each group; I just pop them down range to see if they cycle correctly and to check for felt recoil. The second ten of each group are fired from a rest at 10 yards to check for grouping and the last 10 are fired to sight in. I settled on the 3.8gr load as the best overall load. I did find out that O.A.L. was an important factor with this gun. Anything over 1.23 inches won’t seat in the chamber properly. All rounds were reduced to 1.19 inches and functioned perfectly.

While 90 rounds certainly don’t constitute a torture test, I was very please that I had zero problems…..no FTF’s, no FTE’s, no stovepipes nor any other semi auto dilemmas that have a way of popping up during the break in period. Overall I couldn’t be happier. Great weapon at a great price that does exactly what it’s suppose to do…punch little holes in paper in neat 2in groups.

·
Administrator
18,303 Posts
You are most Welcome, and Congratulations on your new Witness Elite Match! Long may it serve you well!

Loaded Cartridge OAL's will be more critical with the Tanfoglio Clones and CZ Pistols, as both types have less freebore in front of the Chamber. It's actually a good characteristic!

I use the Berry's 200 grn Flat Point as my IPSC Match Bullet in all of my .45's, most notably for my .45 Witnesses.

Witnesses have the deserved reputation for being tough, durable, reliable, and accurate. I have over 17,000 rounds thru my old 1992 vintage .45 Witness and I still shoot it!

You may wish to visit the posts over at the Clone Section of CZForum. http://czechpistols82792.yuku.com/forum/view/id/27

1 - 2 of 2 Posts