Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate this BS of trying to make guns safer by screwing up the guns for those of us who know how to handle them. So, do you like the locks and are they a pain or is it better without it?

Taurus & Rossi

They are both made by Taurus but do you find one is better than the other due to design differences? Older vs newer?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
it depends.. in general though i'd rather they not have a internal lock.

on my tracker it's not a big deal it's small and outta the way, i never use it but i dont think its' hurting anything..

my pt92 on the other hand has a pencil size hole in the back strap cause of that damn internal lock.. and even though you can remove it no prob it's a pita getting it back on.. which means changing main springs on it is 3 or 4 hour ordeal.

it also uglyfies the gun but i got a rubber cover for the back strap so outta sight outta mind i guess.

the way i figure it the locks are so simple i think they save money by not having to include a real lock with the gun.. i bet they save a bundle actually.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
the way i figure it the locks are so simple i think they save money by not having to include a real lock with the gun.. i bet they save a bundle actually.
+1... :D

There has been some pretty good discussions on this subject..
This is pretty good
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=3332.0

The one on my Tracker is out of the way ..so that is cool...I still won't use it though 8)

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I don't use mine. Just one more thing to deal with if you need to use your gun. I keep my guns in the safe so they are locked up. Keep my carry gun on me or in my nightstand when I'm in bed.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
The locks don't bother me. They're rather inconspicuously placed and certainly not an eye-sore IMO.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I have a 20+ year old Rossi 971 with out the lock. My pt1911 and Rossi 462 both have the lock. I never use them. Just one more thing to go wrong. These locks are used so they can sell them in Kalifornia.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I still bear the same feelings towards them as when I started the last thread on this. I don't think it would be to hard for a gun manufacturer to offer a pistol with or without the lock for those states that don't have the laws, and that would be the best kind of voting on such items, with people's wallets.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On to the second question, is there any real difference between the two guns? Revolvers mainly, I don't think I have ever fired a Rossi. Is there any quality issues before Taurus took them over?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dan31 said:
On to the second question, is there any real difference between the two guns? Revolvers mainly, I don't think I have ever fired a Rossi. Is there any quality issues before Taurus took them over?
In the Late Sixties/Early Seventies I had to carry a Rossi and at that time they were an unadulterated piece of crap to put it mildly. I packed one about twice and purchased myself a Ruger Security Six, that solved my Rossi Problem as with the Security Six I could pack my own Personal Weapon. The Rossi Blue pealed badly the cylanders were sloppy, in otherwords you took your life into your own hands as the medal in their weapons was soft.

Rossi may put out a good weapon today but due to my experience with them back then today I consider them to meet the criteria and be clasified as nothing more than a Saturday Nite Special.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
W7ACT said:
In the Late Sixties/Early Seventies I had to carry a Rossi and at that time they were an unadulterated piece of crap to put it mildly. I packed one about twice and purchased myself a Ruger Security Six, that solved my Rossi Problem as with the Security Six I could pack my own Personal Weapon. The Rossi Blue pealed badly the cylanders were sloppy, in otherwords you took your life into your own hands as the medal in their weapons was soft.

Rossi may put out a good weapon today but due to my experience with them back then today I consider them to meet the criteria and be clasified as nothing more than a Saturday Nite Special.
Sir do you like any of the Taurus guns. I was just wondering. I am not aware of the 60 or 70 guns, but I do have a blue Rossi new manufacture, model 461, 357. The finish on mine is great, and actually holds up better to carry than my PT111 slide does. I do not have many rounds thru it yet, but the fit to the forcing cone is tight, and the lock up is positive.
I have shot it enough to know, that even with a 2 inch barrel compared to my PT111 3 inch, it shoots more to POA than the PT.

You might want to look at them again some time. They have changed, and they are made by Taurus under contract.

·
Administrator
35,632 Posts
The locks keep the frivilous lawsuits down to a minimum. The companies can say that they are 'making every effort' at gun safety.....personally, I don't even notice the safety lock, I just keep my guns locked up in a safe.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Robby

If you will read my post carefully I was refering to Rossi Firearm Manufactured in the the late 1960's and Early 1970's at that time both Rossi & Taurus Firearms were manufactured under license from S&W as they were copies based on S&W Frames. They were in many cases crude replicas of S&W Revolvers as the workmanship just wasn't there. If memory serves me right the Rossi was built in Argintina and the Taurus was a product from Brazil and at that time niether manufacturer put to gether a quality gun although the Taurus 38 Special did have the better reputation.

You asked me if I liked any of the Taurus Guns. Yes, I do own a Taurus Raging Bull in 44 Mag, I've owned it now for several years. It is one of SS Models with Magna Porting w/4" Barrel and it's a pleasure to shoot. Taurus is putting out some pretty well thought out wheel guns onto the market. They have come a long way in the improvement and quality control of their weapons. As far as their Semi Autos are concerned I have no experience with them other than reports I get from others. I have heard excellent reports on their 1911's and in my opinion they are well worth what they are asking for them. But on the new Semi Auto patterned after the Glock and the Springfeild XD I have heard a number of reports of feeding problems with the new pistol, but I believe that they will be worked out. As a result of this problem I wish they would have gone the route that Ruger has gone with their new offering and pulled the pistol off the market until they got feeding problem solved. It is my understanding problem is caused by a design flaw in the magazine and redsign of the Magazine should fix the problem.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
As stated my Rossi 971 is 20+ years old, and still locks up tight. Have no problems with it. Even carry it concealed from time to time. She still puts them where I went them. My 462 is just as tight, but hate putting 357 through it, one heck of a kick. The trigger guard hits my finger and just makes it uncomfortable. So I use +P's. That is the only problem I have with the 462. Up to 15 yards she is dead on and yes I carry it. So far have not had a worry with either one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts