Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anything someone should consider ahead of time for winter carry? I notice my gun sweating after I'm outside for a while, or while I'm at work and it's in my car, and bringing it in the house likes to give off a lot of moisture. Bad in any way? I have the matte blue MilPro PT111, I wipe off whatever I see with a cloth after it warms up in the house, but I imagine some moisture finds it's way into places we don't want it to be.

I use either transmission fluid or Tetra gun grease for my autos, normally the ATF fluid but the gun grease seems to work better in the cold. Any preference anyone has to what grease on auto's in cold weather?

Am I just being anal or are these things to worry about?

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I notice a little moisture when I carry IWB and take the gun out after being outdoors. Actually for winter time, I been carrying on the farm in the right front pocket of my insulated vest. No moisture on gun, it keeps most of the hay out of the gun, and most of all it keeps the gun warm, even when I am outside for a long time. "it is almost impossible for anyone to tell I am carrying it in that vest pocket. "

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I have a SS Tracker,so i don't worry to much..I am pretty good at wiping my gun down after i have been outside with it.. Where I live in Arizona, it is really not a problem in the winter. The summertime though is a wee bit harder on them..lol
Esecially if you carry concealed :D

Dont have a auto , so i don't know about the grease
I use "Weapon Shield" it is a synthetic lube for cleaning and lube

Here is a cool thread that was started on cold weather stuff, might find it interesting :) :)
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=3717.0

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i would just make sure you keep it clean and oiled.. if it's your every day carry you should probably make sure it's not got any fuzz and stuff in it and make sure it's go sufficient lubrication once a week even if you have'nt fired it.

eezox is suppose to be godly rust protector, i just got a can of it my self but not enough exp with it yet to say one way or the other about it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I generally carry my revolver in the winter. I like the idea of the .357 penitration through heavy clothes and I've never had a revolver misfire in the cold, even when it has been pretty much covered with snow. Like Robby, I carry in my insulated vest pocket and have not noticed condensation on the gun. My snubbie is SS, though and I sometimes trade off with the PT-111 due to the polymer and SS construction.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I've never really had that problem, and I live in a pretty damp climate (Oregon). My carry guns are stainless, which I wipe down with silicone cloth about once a week or so, but I've never had a carry gun "sweat" like that. The only time I've seen that happen was a rifle carried in a soft sided, cloth with vinyl covered, carrying case. And only then when it was left in the hot sun.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
sholiz I been thinking about the moisture problem you mentioned. I wonder if maybe your house has high moisture levels. Some heating systems and homes are more moist than others. That would account for the cold gun gaining moisture when you put it down inside.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts