Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen some posts about windoze problems here. A couple of things to help out
1. Back up
2. Always have a live Linux cd handy. If windows worn't boot drop in the cd. Boot from it you can get to all of your files and continue working until you get it fix. Unless it's a hardware problem then nothing will boot.
3. Use Download Hiren the cd has a linux + windoze boot option. Many tool virus cleaners, password recovery and so on.
4. Just ditch windowze. PClinuxOS, Ubuntu, Open-suse, Fedora, Debian, Mint are all top notch.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I worked as a UNIX admin after retiring from the Fed Govt for a few years and was pretty comfy with Linux. I cheaped out and bought a system with no O/S and installed Red Hat and the missus was highly annoyed as she had no interest in learning Linux. She complained until I partitioned the system and installed Windoze in the new partition. It was kind of a pain and the productivity software at the time wasn't nearly as good for the UNIX boxes as the Windoze; such as MS Office and tools of this nature. I suspect productivty software is stronger now since a lot of folks are running some form of UNIX.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
+1 here2serve- thats good info.

I can vouch for Ubuntu, Mint,PCLinuxos,Open Suse, and Fedora. Debian is a little rough for me....I don't know how to use the command line-and do not want to learn. All those you mention for me are very easy- just point-n-click, no terminal work. If I can do it....any idiot can do it. I have been using one or another flavor of Linux for 3 years now- with no issues. My only problem is deciding which one I like best. All much easier than any windows os.

·
Super Moderator
17,636 Posts
After trying a few, I settled on Mint as the best all around and have been using it for maybe a year and a half at home. I'd prefer Fedora if I was the only user and I had bit more powerful computer. I have to use Windows at work.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I've been running Linux as my main OS for over 6 years now. Like BroJohn, if I've got to go Command Line then the distro is not what I consider User Friendly and I will move on to another distro. I've got to LOL about the wife and Linux comment. I put my wife on Linux several years ago, now if anything goes wrong or doesn't work, she gives me the if I had Windows it would work. When I first put her on Linux, I told her it was the new "Windows 7", but my daughter told on me.

Among the distros, I like PCLinuxOS the best, it is easy and I've been using it for over 3 years now. But there are some others that work very well and some of them are very good if your PC is a little on the old side. After booting up PCLinuxOS, I suggest you try these distros: Vector, DreamLinux, Puppy, and if you have a bunch of nerd buddies, try Sabayon, then tell them you are using a Gentoo distro and see how envious they get.

PCLOS has a very good forum where you can ask and get answers to any problems you run into. They publish a monthly magazine that has instructions on how to use different programs and talks about new user stuff that is very helpful.

I have 2 problems with Mint: 1. It is built around the Gnome interface which I do not care for at all, and 2. the people who run it are a bunch of far left Liberals who run off anyone whose views differ from theirs.

My suggestion would be to go to DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD. and just try some of the live distros. They are free to download. Then just burn them to a CD/DVD and try them. When you partition your drive for installation, I suggest you go with a Swap partition (twice the size of your system RAM) a Root, or /:, partition and a data partition, or /home: . The data partition stores all of your data and no program or system files, so if you replace the linux distro, or have a corrupted partition, all of your data is unaffected (why doesn't Windows do this???). Just reformat your root and install or reinstall a Linux distro, even your browser and email settings will come back up.

Good luck, you will find Linux is getting better every day and that many of the best parts of MS Windows are just copied from Linux. The first time I loaded up Win7, I thought I had booted into Linux by mistake.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
WHERE'S MY BeOS UPDATES!?! IT'S ONLY BEEN 10 YEARS!!!

Lol, now that i got that out of my system, back to playing general contractor at home.

Reactions: Three Percent

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I personally use Ubuntu but the wife insists on windoze. But we've had zero problems since we banished any teenagers or kids from using this computer!

Sarge

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
BeOS, really? Now you do know that Amiga OS is back, don't you?

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I downloaded the new Commodore Vision OS about a month ago, I could not get it running good. But all my equipment is old. I think its based off Mint 12.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW! Lots O Linux here. Gave up on windoze just before xp Sp2 came out. I fix/maintain systems for work only set up Linux servers unless my boss demands windoze.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I have a couple pc's laying around, I should try linux.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a couple pc's laying around, I should try linux.
That's how I got started. Ended up having less problems with it than windows. I then started loading up linux with gcompriz and other educational software. Those PCs were given to families with young kids.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
BeOS, really? Now you do know that Amiga OS is back, don't you?
Oh yeah i know, the BeOS part was just me remembering my first Linux experience on a computer i owned. I've used a number of other Linux OS's, Red Hat, Fedora, and by far my favorite Ubuntu (mostly for the excellent hardware support). Now i just stick with Windows 7, dead are the days of dual booting for me. For now anyway, it just helps with continuity having it on all the computers in the house so no matter where someone logs on, they know how to work the computer.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Couldn't kick the MS addiction, huh?

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Two kids and a Father who only knows Windows forced my hand so to speak. The kids actually show him how to use his computer most of the time if it's more than just email. I also play games, and the major game companies just don't pump out many Linux products that i would play. But hey, at least i can control every computer in the house with my Android phone.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I know the games bit, I have one box setup just for games and it runs WIN7. Waiting on Diablo III, so I only turn it on about once a month now to keep it updated. Older folks seem to be fine with Linux, if you don't tell them what it is and just show them which icons to click. Just tell the its Winders 8. The kids you have to start early because between peer pressure and MS addiction it is hard for them not to want to change to what their friends have. Then again when I show them that the program they wanted (or a reasonable facsimile) is available for free on Linux, they like that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts