Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using Winchester 244 for multiple handgun loads?

I am only interested in users of WinClean 244 and their comments about the same.
I know there are other powders out there and at this time am not interested in them.
Normally I use WST for most loads and make up what’s left with W231.

Running low on both and want to try the WinClean 244 to see how it works for .44mag/spl, .45ACP and 9mm.

All will be used for target plinking and midrange loads. Paper punching and gong ringing.
On paper this powder looks good for all.

Don’t really need load details, just basic thoughts on the performance of 244 powder.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I use WST and W231 also. W244 is the latest development of copper fouling eraser, flash suppressants etc. Think of it as the 21st century version of W231. I have not found any to try as yet, but as far as burn rate, W244 and W231 are pretty close. My interest is in replacing, or trying to, both WST and W231 with a single powder: W244.

Also guys. I have a friend in the direct path of Hurricane Michael. He lives about a dozen miles from the St Marks Powder manufacturing facility. They're expecting storm surges of 12 - 14" and that's if it doesn't increase in intensity. St Marks makes most all of the Domestic Spherical *(ball type) powders sold in the US, whether it be Western Powder Co, Alliant or those sold under different labels by Hodgdon. Handgun & Rifle. If you're in a buying mood, this may be the time to grab some. ;)

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Thanks for a heads up!
I use WST and W231 also. W244 is the latest development of copper fouling eraser, flash suppressants etc. Think of it as the 21st century version of W231. I have not found any to try as yet, but as far as burn rate, W244 and W231 are pretty close. My interest is in replacing, or trying to, both WST and W231 with a single powder: W244.

Also guys. I have a friend in the direct path of Hurricane Michael. He lives about a dozen miles from the St Marks Powder manufacturing facility. They're expecting storm surges of 12 - 14" and that's if it doesn't increase in intensity. St Marks makes most all of the Domestic Spherical *(ball type) powders sold in the US, whether it be Western Powder Co, Alliant or those sold under different labels by Hodgdon. Handgun & Rifle. If you're in a buying mood, this may be the time to grab some. ;)
Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
37,975 Posts

Any updates on how they fared at the factory?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Any updates on how they fared at the factory?
I haven't heard as yet. Talked to my buddy a couple of days back to hear he was doing okay and thought St Marks was as well. Time to check on him again and if he doesn't have any info I'll check with Rob Behr up at Western, tomorrow.;)

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
3,254 Posts

From what my local shop told me, W244 will replace W231 in the future. The W231 rumor has been floating around for years, however, they now have an equivalent replacement with W244.

·
Registered
969 Posts
From what my local shop told me, W244 will replace W231 in the future. The W231 rumor has been floating around for years, however, they now have an equivalent replacement with W244.

The rumor had been floating around for a while, so evidently, WIN/Hodgdon got what they were looking for with W244. Last I heard, W231 was still WIN's top selling powder and has been for a number of years. W244 is a pretty big step for them.

I will also update here and at the thread I started. As of 14:00 today, my buddy says SMP is in good shape!;)

Reactions: Czechbikr
1 - 7 of 7 Posts