Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My PT92 has had a steady diet of Winchester White Box 9mm 115 grain FMJ.
A coworker warned me that this type of ammo is not good for the thin barrels they use on most 9mm pistols.
Even though I think this is just a bunch of hooey I want to make sure I do no damage to my Taurus.
Is there any truth to this?

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
It's a bunch of hooey. The Winnie White box is a little dirty, but that's about all. You will probably want to replace your barrel after 20,000-30,000 rounds anyway!

Reactions: gbusmech

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
If anything. I am sure that ammo is los]aded a little on the conservative side. Tell your co worker to keep buying the more expensive ammo!

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Buddy of mine in the Ohio National Guard says that this is what his unit trains with.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have never had an issue with it in any of my weapons, that is what i mostly practice with. Tell your friend you keep the zombie max ammo at home, and keep on shooting.

·
Administrator
17,592 Posts
It's a bunch of hooey.
+1 ! Balderdash! :rolleyes:

Actually, with the slightly dirty powder WWB is loaded with, I think it's actually easier on Barrel wear. I think your barrel will wear a lot less using it.

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
It's a bunch of hooey. The Winnie White box is a little dirty, but that's about all. You will probably want to replace your barrel after 20,000-30,000 rounds anyway!
Yup, I reckon your correct. This is my steady diet with no problems.

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
There are shooters with enough money and time to buy or reload enough ammo to wear out a barrel. Odds are, they will spend more on the wallets they wear out than the barrels they wear out. Most shooters have several handguns in their stables to share wear in their shooting times. I can only think of maybe two or three shooters on this forum who would ever need to change barrels due to normal wear, and I suspect those would have upgraded prior to shooting a barrel out anyway.

Reactions: bre346

·
17,579 Posts
Yeah, I think that's a load of BS. If you google around you'll find all sorts of myths and urban legends about WWB. One rumor has it that the jackets are thinner than most, and they will shear off in a ported barrel. Never, ever, is there any documentation of this. It's always "I heard" or "I know a guy". I guess there are ammo snobs, just like there are gun snobs.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Just stay away from Monarch ammo when it comes to your revolvers. Had bought some 158gr .357 and it locked up my cylinder twice.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I had one shell that caught on the top of the chamber and peeled back a bit, jamming the action. And that's out of 600 rounds of WWB. Don't worry, if it shoots from your gun, use it and enjoy the lower price.

·
Registered
703 Posts
WWB shoots well in my firearm. Just make sure to inspect your ammo. I've fired maybe 400 of them and I found 2 which were canted, not seated properly, and had a heavy indentation at the tip. I found them as I was loading them into trays - the two of them sat higher than the rest because of the greater overall length. I won't have noticed them in the loose boxes otherwise.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
The truth about WWB is that it's underpowered and dirty. The underpowered part is probably better for the gun than full power loads 'cause it doesn't slam it as hard. The dirty part cleans off. The worst thing I can say about WWB is that you get more stove pipes with it than more powerful rounds. For the price I'll clear the odd malfunction and keep on shooting. That being said, I prefer Federal Champions from wally world. They're a little on the underpowered side too but seem a bit stouter than the WWB's - and they're a lot cleaner.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Glad to hear all of this, I was thinking maybe the wwb was why I was shooting low left;;

·
Registered
518 Posts
That low, left stuff was just my trigger squeeze ;)

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
That low, left stuff was just my trigger squeeze ;)
This is why dry firing is so important. The idea is to keep the sights on the target until you decide to move them. If you see the sights jumping when the hammer falls, then you need to adjust your pull technique - a little more trigger finger, a little less usually does it. You'll catch subtle things while dry firing that are nearly impossible to notice under recoil. Once you've found the sweet spot, then you need to do a minimum of twenty five repetitions to cement the muscle memory. Then go back to the range.

And it probably goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway - make sure you clear the weapon before dry firing. ;)

·
Registered
436 Posts
This is why dry firing is so important. The idea is to keep the sights on the target until you decide to move them. If you see the sights jumping when the hammer falls, then you need to adjust your pull technique - a little more trigger finger, a little less usually does it. You'll catch subtle things while dry firing that are nearly impossible to notice under recoil. Once you've found the sweet spot, then you need to do a minimum of twenty five repetitions to cement the muscle memory. Then go back to the range.

And it probably goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway - make sure you clear the weapon before dry firing. ;)
Something I need to work on myself . As soon as I can get me some snap caps I plan to do a lot of dry firing.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Yes the Winchester WB is bad for your gun. Lucky for you I will take them off your hands for half of what you paid.

·
Administrator
17,592 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts