Taurus Firearm Forum banner

winchester mdl. 70, .264 magnum

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  texas shooter 
#1 ·
The wife went to her parents this weekend, I stayed home and ate pizza and drank beer. I got a call today and was told she was buying her dads dear rifle for me if I wanted it. It's a winchester 70 but in a .264 mag, even though it ain't the caliber I would chose it was almost a gift. Anyone in the vast knowledge of this room every have one , shoot one, reload one? He used to hunt mule dear, elk, etc. Just don't need that here in Texas. Worried it might shake my pace maker loose, lol.

#2 ·
My old man has a model 70 in .338 and a better bolt action you will not find my friend. Buy a good set of optics for it and it will serve you well. While the .264 may not be your cup of tea it can handle anything that walks on this continent. The only drawback to the cartridge is short barrel life, so if he shot it a lot you should have a gun smith check it out. But as for the action goes, I like them better than the Remington.

#3 ·
Thanks ace. Well I got it, it came with 5 boxes of ammo, it has 12 empty shells and he says that's all was shot and I believe him. It has an old model weaver 6x fixed power scope and sling, came with leather padded case. Not a scratch on it, except on the end of the barrel or end of crown, it was stored in case for years barrel down and I guess while he moved around he said out of his gun closet to clean, etc. it rubbed the blue off, but that's all. Ammo is from the '60's so I don't know if try to shoot it or pull bullets and reload. Was at Cabelas today factory ammo is over $50.00 for it, wow. At least I got all the brass. I saw on the web that pre 1964 model 70's were 700,000 and below, this one starts at 721, I will find the year later. Need help on another one will make new post.

#4 ·
Well Winchester could only tell me the year info. It was made in 1964. The sights have been removed and had flush mount screws installed. Calling around to local gunsmiths it seems this was needed when mounting scopes so I don't know if this hurts the value or not. No one seems to be able to even tell me where to look for them if I wanted them. One question if anyone out there can answer, in 1964 were the model 70's all the same or not ? Reason I ask the later model 70's come in different grades. Winchester - Browning as they go by now, could not even answer this. And people talk about Taurus. Anyone have a book that might show a value on this gun ?
Other than the sights it is perfect shape.

#5 ·
Found my sights! Someone sent me a link with the history of the post '64 model 70's. In it it told that the Williams Gunsight Co. made them. Called them yesterday and have some on the way.

#6 ·
I just had this redone, looks as if came out of the box brand new. Posted more info in the smithing section.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.