Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys;
Before I send a "letter" to the "new" Winchester ammo co., I have a big, old, case of their Super-X 44 Rem. Magnum 240 gr. Lead Semi-Wad Cutter Medium Velocity ammo -- product # X44MWCP. Can anyone give me the basic specs on this factory stuff, maybe even including the hardness of the lead?!

I am expecting it to be a nice fit for my brand new little, light, Taurus Tracker 44 but wonder if it might also be just hard enough for large game including Brown Bear...

Alden

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Unless it says hard cast on the box you have your typical bread and butter load for your .44. The stuff is dense, but not hard cast and typically was designed to punch paper cheaply. but fret not the 240 gr load is a workhorse of sorts for the .44 mag since it doesn't hurt the hand as much as full power 300 gr. Even though some of us on the board would not recommend it for bear. that 240 gr lead slug will put the hurt on most anything on this continent. While it would be ideal if you use 300 gr hard cast for grizzly, 240 will do the job if placed right and at combat distance.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ace.
I have a coupla old Winchester ammo sheets but this cartirdge model X44MWCP is not listed and I was hoping for actual Muzzle Velocity and Energy if anyone might have those manufacturer's specs please...
Alden

1 - 3 of 3 Posts