Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that thanks to the Gun Salesman of the decade, Barack Obama, panic buying has never been in greater evidence, but dang....... tried a dozen online suppliers and they are all Out Of Stock on these two and frankly most other brands of powder.

I sure hope inventories improve one of these days.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
They aren't made of unobtanium. It's just they are made by companies that are scared to death that they will be forced out of business soon and, so (quite smartly), are extremely hesitant to make capital investments that could easily leave them not only out of business, but bankrupt as well, with a simple stroke of El Presidente's pen. The result is that they can't grow their businesses, hire more people, and ramp up production like they might otherwise.

So, in actuality, all the components and parts we want are made of waitinlineandpraywitheveryoneelse-ium. ;)

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Or they are simply waiting to all the hoopla is over and then they can make up the lost money raising their prices as they did last time.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
I like Universal in most of my pistol rounds.

·
Premium Member
16,973 Posts
Everything is dried up around here. Fixin to load up some target .38's with Green Dot because that is all I can get....

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I don't use 231 but, evrything is thin. I have about 8# for 5 different rounds w 1k+ already loaded for each. I just cutback on shooting until things simmer down.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
They did not have the jug of Universal last time I went to buy reloading supplies, so I bought 4# of Unique. Going to give it a try, my only complaint about Universal is it does not meter that well.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I lucked out at a local shop and picked up a 1# of Win 231 for $28 out the door. The clerk mentioned they had a couple more out back but my brother was only in desperate need for 1.

I too hope for a return to buying sanity soon. The hoarders and panic buying is out of proportion to reality I'm thinking.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
I just looked at my local source Sportsman Warehouse now I don't use 231 but do use HP-38, Unique, Universal, Titegroup, Bullseye and it looks like they are out of them all. They are also out of small, large pistol and large rifle primers. Sure glad I bought my supplies before the election to at least last a good year or so. I did order some FMJ in 124 gr 9mm and 230 gr 45ACP from Precision Delta that I got today and was told they are about 6 weeks behind on filling orders at this time. I've not had problems though getting the cast bullets I use at all but it seems Franklin Arsenal flip top Ammo boxes are back order now in 9mm, 45 ACP and 45 Colt are out of stock but did get a 10 pack of 45-70. Those where supposed to be in stock tomorrow but now shows 1/31/13 as expected date. No one else has them in 10 packs either and I've sure looked. So it isn't just ammo but every thing gun related pretty much as before.

·
Administrator
19,745 Posts
I don't use 231 but do use HP-38,
HP38 and W231 are the same powder under different labels, made in the same facility. HP38 is usually priced a bit less than W231 for no good reason.

Fixin to load up some target .38's with Green Dot because that is all I can get....
Green Dot is an excellent powder! :cool: Have used it in quite a few handgun loads and calibers, and .38 Specials with 158 grain LSWC's in particular.

I also like Red Dot and in the .45 ACP in particular.

Have not shopped for powder lately, as I have plenty on stock. Perhaps I should look around a bit, and see what our local Market is doing.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
At a small gun show in Big Sandy Montana, held in City Hall, I saw an 8# of HP38 for 140$ and two 4# of same for 75$ each.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
W231 was not available when we moved into this area, so I bought up several pounds of HP-38. Works in my .45 ACP and .40 SW. Also picked up several pounds of AR-Comp before everything went crazy. The next time primers are available, I will order more Small Pistol. I have plenty of the rest, thank goodness.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.