Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 8 factory Taurus mags for my 1911 and 2 Wilson Combat mags. When I put in the JHP ( Win 230gr) and release the slide stop, the first round will not feed with the Wilson's, (they work fine with FMJ), the Taurus mags work fine with either type of ammo.

I've gone to the range with both types of mags, but only used FMJ and never had a problem with either F2F or ejecting.

Has anyone had similar problems, and if so, how did you remedy it ?

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
Compare the top of the mags. Sometimes a set of needle nose pliers is all you need to make repairs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
StillStanding52 said:
I have 8 factory Taurus mags for my 1911 and 2 Wilson Combat mags. When I put in the JHP ( Win 230gr) and release the slide stop, the first round will not feed with the Wilson's, (they work fine with FMJ), the Taurus mags work fine with either type of ammo.

Has anyone had similar problems, and if so, how did you remedy it ?
It's just the opposite with me. Slingshotting the first round with JHPs doesn't work with the 8-round factory mags. If I only load 7-rounds in the mag the top round chambers properly. I can get the factory mags to chamber properly if I keep upward pressure on the bottom of the mag with my little finger. If I use the slide release, the JHPs chamber properly even with the factory mags, 8-round Novaks, 8-round KimPro, 8-round Mec-Gar, and 8-round CMC Shooting Stars. Wilson 47Ds cured that problem completely for me and chamber the JHPs properly without me having to be a contortionist, or using the slide release to chamber the top round. I suspect the springs in the other mags may not have enough power left when compressed fully by 8 rounds. All of them chamber properly with only 7 rounds in magazine. Since all the magazines chamber properly when I use the slide release and 8-rounds in the mag, I suspect that the recoil spring generates more power than I do when I slingshot. I just keep the Wilson 47Ds with the PT1911 and keep the other mags for its 1911 siblings. I plan on trying CMC Powermags at some point in the future -- these Wilsons are pricey. Oh, and no problems whatsoever with FMJ rounds.
edison

·
Registered
48 Posts
Did you try more than the one brand of HP's? My Wilson mags feed Speer Gold Dot's and Remington Golden Sabers just fine. I haven't tried any HP's in the Taurus mags as I just use those at the range.

Edison - There shouldn't be any difference between releasing the slide stop and "slingshotting." The slide will be getting the the full force of the recoil spring either way. Make sure your magazine is fully inserted.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Impulsive7 wrote: Edison - There shouldn't be any difference between releasing the slide stop and "slingshotting." The slide will be getting the the full force of the recoil spring either way. Make sure your magazine is fully inserted.

Perhaps it's possible I was riding the slide down when slingshotting, but I've not had that problem with any other pistol. Perhaps it was just me, or my PT1911, but I found what worked and that problem ended. I wondered about the magazine-- that perhaps the catch was off just a fraction of an inch. As I said, if I apply pressure with my little finger, the JHP round chambers properly.

edison

1 - 5 of 5 Posts