Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you guys have been going over and over this but I tried something a bit different that worked for me. I just was not satisfied with the way Torx and recommended hex wrenches fit into that front sight screw for removal. I decided to try a 5/32 hex and even tho it doesn't exactly fit, you can feel it might go if forced. I heated w/hair dryer until I could feel good heat inside the slide and then hammered the hex home. (applied WD-40 bout 1/2 hr. before) Yeah, it came right out, no problem...........Really had to hump to get my hex outta that screw though.

My MilPro's a gen 3, I'm guessing.

Still have to shim that rear sight if I ever find my old feeler guage. .008, you say?

Appreciate all the advice. Good to be a newbie!

smit

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Wilson 367D to P145

Almost forgot

Ordered the 367D from uberarms.com for 31 bucks & change on Monday and received it yesterday (Thurs). Shipping was 9.00 or so. Bout 41.00 total.

smit

·
Registered
846 Posts

Those front sites are metric.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Right Tex, they ARE metric. My 1.5 (almost new) was too sloppy in my view, however, to risk rounding out the screw. Just a suggestion..........

BTW, I was born & raised just east of Mesquite. Used to hunt around Red Oak, Rosser, Seagoville, Forney, Terrell.......noticed lots of Texans on the forum. Kinda like goin back home occasionally.

smit

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Wilson 367D to PT145

Whoa guys!

I'm going to lose all my credibility if I don't correct a serious mistake. I inadvertently misread the back of my little fold-out hex set. You want to use a 1/16" standard wrench to tap into that 1.5 mm screw in the front sight (not a 5/32 as mentioned above.........duh). It'll fit, just force it! The 1.5 metric wrench can round out the screw because the fit is too sloppy.

I'm oooold and just wasn't thinking.

Very sorry!
smit

·
Registered
723 Posts
Just orderer a set of Wilson 367D (from wilsons) Anybody have an idea about how long shipping time is, I ordered on line gave my c/c number and part number and got wham bam thanks for the order can't find any info. on their site as to shipping info.(did get a conformation #) but no avenue for fauther info.Do you guys know anything about their shipping? hope they are prompt with orders THANKS

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wish I could help but I ordered mine from uberarms.com on a Monday and completed installation on the following Friday. Those guys were good!

smit

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
James

I installed them. Pretty simple, really. The hardest part is supposed to be the removal of that front sight screw. Just take a 1/16" hex wrench and tap it into that 1.5mm set screw (heat sight up first with a hair dryer). A 1.5mm hex wrench can fail because it is too sloppy and can easily round out that 1.5mm screw. Then you've got a Dremel problem.

The rear sight is no big problem. I did heat the sight & slide but the screw turned out easily. A brass punch pushes out old and drifts in new sights.

Others in "Smithing" section advised me to use a .008 shim in back dovetail of rear sight. This works great if you cut it to right size with heavy scissors or tin shears. I used an old spark plug guage for shim and then squared it off nice with a fine sharpening stone. When finished, I can barely see that shim on either side of the sight. Snugs up perfectly with the screw you'll get w/new sights.

I believe (w/o me leavin' the 'puter to check) that rear Heine takes a 2mm hex and it turned for me easily.

After firing a couple of days ago, I had to move the rear sight very slightly but haven't been back to the range to check correction. (they will not let me do "range adjustments"). It'll be worth it. I hated the "2 dot" figure 8's!

Give it a shot................smit

·
Registered
723 Posts
Smithlock thanks for the info. I got my allen screws loose did that a while back on account of the front site was off to the left when I got the gun (P145). Wilson shipped yesterday the 4th. Let me ask you, how far away from the target are you siteing in for (distance) and do you have to cover the target with the front site dot like on the 8 sites? hope not, thats one of the things I didn't like about them.....PS that front site was initally -uncooperative indeed-

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
james

I line up three dots level across and center middle dot just under and barely touching the 6" bull at 20 feet. From a rest, earlier this week, I was hitting good clusters elevation-wise but about 3 inches right of center. Haven't shot since sight adjustment. I'm not good at that windage adjustment stuff, but I moved rear sight approx 1/64th" to correct. I'll let you know result after range visit this weekend. I'm guessing she'll be close enough for this old guy. To tell you the truth, james, I disliked the LOOKS of that old 2-dot system more than anything. (Got used to the 3 dots on my Glock 36). I also liked having to use no adhesive on the new sights (they are quite firm, at least to my satisfaction).

Some folks just tighten the rear sight w/o shimming of dovetail. That's a mistake, IMHO. Doesn't look good and HAS to affect elevation. Hard to critique when you haven't tried it. To each his own..........

I just can't seem to settle on factory OEM. Good luck, buddy!

smit

·
Registered
723 Posts
Smithlock My wilsons are scheduled for Fri. delivery. I'll put um on but don't think I'll get to the range till the first of the week it can get a little busy out there on weekends(scarey) I didn't like covering up the target with the front site plus I'm at that bifocal age,hope these 367Ds help a bit with that. I'm thinkin I shoud have gone with firesites also that 21ft. range is what I am lookin at thats not asking to much is it? p145 is no target gun but its nice to shoot tight. thanks for the reply above

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.