Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
35,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen alot of guns here with the Williams Fire Sights and I wanted to see if somebody could give me some information about these. Do they glow in the dark, and if so, for how long? Do they have to be charged by sunlight, or by indoor light, before they will work at night? Or do they glow like tritium sights?

I can get a tritium set of Heinie sights for about $120, and the FireSights for about $40. But this is important to me - I don't want to have to buy any more sights for the gun, and I definitely want something that glows at night, all night, without worry. I'd rather only have to spend the lower amount but we'll see.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide !!

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
They don't glow in the dark, they cannot be charged, they are useless in low light.

Not degrading them by any means but if you need night sights these are not the way to go. They're a good upgrade from white dots since the fiber optic tubes will capture ambient light and flow it through the tube to the dot portion that you see when aiming.

Do a search at the main page and you'll see many happy members who have used Williams. They're just not for me as I have no use for them.

With these---no light equals no sight.

·
Administrator
35,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, thats pretty much what I needed to know. Thank you for the input - I like the FireSights, and they look way cool but I'm like you - if they don't glow in the dark, I can't use them. I like the sponsors product, but I'm looking for something a bit more permanent and maintenance free for a long-term solution.

·
Registered
329 Posts
my front green fiber optic flew out of the sight at the range last night and could not be found among the spent casings. I don't know what to do with them now.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
high5apparatus said:
my front green fiber optic flew out of the sight at the range last night and could not be found among the spent casings. I don't know what to do with them now.
Call Williams. They have good customer service.

·
Super Moderator
21,631 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Called Williams and they are sending me a length of fiber optic replacement tubes, no questions asked other than what's my mailing address.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a question and I'm not trying to poke a sharp stick in anyone's eye, but it pertains to dark - not low light - shooting. I'm having some personal conflict on this one. I'm really getting into territory where I'm out of my element and I need help clarifying ideas to myself. Haven't been there, done that on this concept.

I fully understand the need for LEO's to have tritium (or some variation thereof) night sights. Hopefully, my situations won't ever mirror what these people have to live through day/night. My question would be, is it responsible for us CC permittees, to be shooting in such low light situations that there is not 100% certainty of the target. You might have 100% certainty of your sights with night sights, but what assurance do you have that the target is in the position you assume?

I have never been involved in serious night shooting. (Other than my uncles S&W 629 .357 Mag 20 years ago - that was just for fun!)

The situation itself should be so rare as to be very specific. I know we can't deal with all the variables here, however, it goes against my life long hunter education training of being 100% certain of your target before even pointing the gun.

I guess I'm also a little apprehensive at the fact that I just ordered the Williams Fire Sights and I don't want my investment to be totally useless. In my thinking, a good quality tactical flashlight, used in the weak hand, would be in order for total darkness. Turning it on at the exact moment you are ready to make final sighting. Instinct should get you close, a tactical flashlight will give you 100% identification of the target at 30' or less. Wouldn't a set of fiber optic sights acquire all the necessary ambient light to be fully functional at that time? Is SOP for a LEO tactical flashlight at the ready or not?

Sure would be a shame to put an unarmed man down if when the lights come on you find a shiny candy bar wrapper sure looked like a stainless pistol at the time (3 Musketeers wrapper was my thought).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Your firesights will work just great in good light and even in kind of lower light as they will pick up any light they can, but at night they will be just like any other normal site.... you won't be able to see them in the dark. If you want sights you can see in the dark you have to get the Tritium night sights, simple as that. Problem is there, you may see your sights ok, but can you see the target...

And, as for getting into a gun fight at night, many times you have no choice other than not going out at night because like the Leo's, you don't usually have the choice, if you do, then the choice should always be avoid the fight if possible.

As for the flashlight, yes it will give you a chance to see the target alright, just remember the second you turn it on the other guy can also see where you are. Used properly they can help, used improperly they can help the other guy more.

·
Super Moderator
21,631 Posts
The flashlight held in front of your gun won't do much for your sites. And in an Home invasion I want to be hidden as long as possible then hold the flashlight high forward and to the left if your right handed that will give the BG the wrong target you line up the night sights and bang. or low as far as you can, the point is not to give your center mass away. and hopefully you will be behind cover of some kind. :) In my opinion
Hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Cover, in the house? No way. First, our house ain't that big - only about 1500sqf. Second, there's no place big enough for all of us to hide - too much junk. Third, you likely will not have time to gather everyone up and move them around quietly to a safe spot. Trying to wake my kids.............Well, setting off an explosion "might" do the trick.

Given a short amount of time to respond, I'll be waiting in the bathroom off the main hallway. He/she/they will have to get through me to get to the family. I can also see reflections in the mirror while hiding behind the door. (Go ahead, ask me how I know.............I played laser tag in the house with the kids) There's always ambient light in the house from mercury vapor lamps on the street. I'll just have to see if it's enough on a moonless night to light up the fiber optics.

I just can't justify less than 100% target identification - to myself, at least. I'll get there! It's just going to take me some time to get my scenarios working in my head.

As for me, I will shout a declaration that I am armed and will shoot to any intruder. If the perp leaves, good retreat. If not, time to pay the piper. I will never shoot without giving a family member the chance to identify themselves. Too many sister-in-law, aunt, mother-in-law, mother - those people with keys to our house. And yes, a few of them enter the house with WAAAAAYYYY too much noise. You might think it's a home invasion if aroused from sleepy land.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
The ONLY way I'd engage a target that I wasn't 100% sure on the ID of would be if I was 100% sure that they were a serious threat to me. The easiest way that I'd be sure of that is if I was already being shot at and I didn't have actual cover.

Steelheart

·
Registered
509 Posts
I think people these days fall for the gimmicks the after market makes.
Back in the day, we were happy if we could get a red ramp front and a white rear notch.
Never mind, glow in the dark.
Heck, I just want a big NON adjustable sight on my fighting guns so If I loose a hand I can hook the dang thing on my pants, a door frame, fence or table and rack the slide, that is one thing I LOVE about my 24/7 sights!
Yeah the hated Heinie, I like the size an beef they have to em!

Any of you ever think about that? One handed reloading of your fighting gun?
Thats why autoloaders rock in combat you know, a wheelgun is hard to load 1 handed.

Muscle memory will get you pointed in the RIGHT direction with enough practice.
I don't care what you will shoot at in the dark, if you can't see the enemy you can't shoot anyway!
All the gimmicks and gadgets will be useless unless you are wearing night vision goggles.
:guns::guns::guns::shooter::shooter::shooter: :soapbox: :wave:​

·
Registered
68 Posts
So...... Who has these fire sights installed and in use? I feel they would work great for my application (home defense/CCW/weekend plinker). First off, my kids' bb/pellet guns have front 'optic' sights and I like em. Also I believe they'd work great in lower light situations, especially against a darker target where maybe the front site would blend in, and just low enough light, not to show up lil white dot. As it has been stated, any darker than that, I can be sure of my target, and shouldn't be pointin anyway. And in good light, there'd be no missin it! Thirdly, I'd be gettin rid of these crazy Heine 8s.
Last, but not least, the price is in my range. (gotta save up for a laser someday, and more Taurus', of course)
Sooo... For those that have, how do you rate? Good, Bad, Ugly :???:

Thanx!!!

·
Super Moderator
21,631 Posts
I'm not talking about the safe room cover I'm talking about just what you just said somewhere your not exposed. And I agree with 100% identification I have adult children that live in the house and they come home at anytime. but I have dogs that no them and a alarm system with the keypad in my bedroom so the kids come trough the door holler the safe word that lets me know they are not being forced into the house and come into the bedroom and shut off the alarm. really vary simple.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I have used ONLY the rear fire sights and painted the front sight dot with lime/yellow fluorescent paint. It does help raise the point of impact (IMO) slightly and make it a three dot sight. I like it and have shot many rounds through with this configuration. I am able to put shots on target with real accuracy when target practicing and plinking. Keep your old sights and if it doesn't work swap them back and sell the Williams online (these forums) as slightly used.

I also would use a flashlight inside the house for home defense. I need to positively be sure of what I'm shooting. Although my first choice for Home Defense would be the 12 gauge SG I have in the bedroom. My Taurus is always nearby as back-up.

With a handgun you can carry the flashlight in weak hand and use your forearm as a brace for shooting. You don't have to give away your position in your home with the flashlight because you know your home better than the perp. Don't plan to roam around with the flashlight on. Use night lights at strategic locations to illuminate hallways and rooms away from your bedroom. You can use the light to positively ID the BG and even flicker the light to stun/ blind the perp (practice this in a mirror once at night, it's effective). The perp won't be able to see momentarily and you can change your position relative to his while he is stunned. I use a 5 D cell Mag light with LED bulb swapped in, it's very bright. And yes the fiber optic sights do pick up the flashlight beam and illuminate in the house at night. Try different set-ups do dry run drills through the house (with empty firearm) and see what works for you.

·
Super Moderator
21,631 Posts
I use a G2 surefire it has a 60 lumen high intensity light the will blind you for a few seconds. It fits in your hand and is easy to use.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
G2 is an excellent choice! They also make hand held lights that have a strobe setting to disorient the perp.

I also recommend Massad Ayoob's books like "Combat Handgunnery", "In the Gravest Extreme" & "Stress Fire". The ladies can look for books by Paxton Quigley, she has additional books that includes info on the female perspective, CCW and using firearms in self defense, including "Not an Easy Target: Paxton Quigley's Self-Protection for Women"

·
Super Moderator
21,631 Posts
I've heard Massad's books are really good. The second one is supposed to go through the after shooting situation and what not to do or say.

My second flashlight will have the strobe feature that is vary disorientating. And would be a great feature to have. It's almost impossible to keep your act together in an unfamilar place with a strobe going off.

I remember back in the 70's you could hardly walk around a room with one of those things going off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts