Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
coy1369,
Who installed them?

Turbostar66,
Just install the front one and leave the factory rear in place.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I installed them. It's real easy. just loosen the screws and tap them out. be sure and loosen the screws about 4 or 5 turns. the screw sets in a little recess that is milled into the slide, on both front and back sights. I just turned mine out a turn or so and started tapping out the rear sight, it moved a little then got real tight. that's when i discovered the recess. As far as a "fire sight" heine, NO they don't have one. They do however have a night site set that are real exspensive. way more money than I was willing to pay.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not sure about the point of aim. going shooting tomorrow. I kind of hope they do because I was shooting low with the heine sights. I really hated having just one pistol like this one that i had to use a different "hold" on the target. However they looked to be the same height and stuff. we'll see tomorrow. on another post i submited, the more i shot, the hotter and dirtier the pistol got, the lower it shot. i haven't figured that one out yet. other than that, i haven't had any failures of any kind. it's been pretty reliable.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
took the taurus out today for a test drive with the new sights. the new sights didn't change the point of aim. still shooting about 3 inches low at 20yards, however, with the new sights it was real easy to get used to holding (what we call here in W.Va.) a full bead. That brought the point of aim right on target at 20yards. Did some 7yard shooting too. point of aim still ok. These sights are a vast improvement in my opinion over the heine "crazy eights".

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
orlandodriver said:
How do they function in low Light? are they still visible?
How low of a light are we talking about here? Fiber optic sights are useful from dawn to dusk if that helps. And with the use of artificial light also (streetlamps, indoor lighting).

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
NYPD said:
How low of a light are we talking about here? Fiber optic sights are useful from dawn to dusk if that helps. And with the use of artificial light also (streetlamps, indoor lighting).
I was thnking as in Dim just curious.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Dim....no----just as useful as white dots in dim lighting since the tubes need to capture ambient light to "glow".

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
in low light, say, at dusk, you can still see the orange and green but they don't appear illuminated. now, I have a dusk to dawn light over my garage door. standing in the vicinity of the light, the sights do gather some light and are visable. i guess what it all boils down to is, if ya have an extra 150 bucks or so, and want a set of sights that you can see in the dark, go with the tridium ones.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Tritium night sights can be had for as low as $65 these days. The price has really come down a lot in the last 2 years.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the price has really come down on the sights, but try and find a set for the 24/7. when i was looking, heine was the only one besides williams that sold aftermarket sights. as per the heine web sight, #418 Heinie Taurus 24/7 SlantPro 3-D Night Sight Set
[#418] $145.13 . even at that price you're still stuck with the "crazy eight" design.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got a Taurus OSS with the tan color (had to have it). It is basically a 24/7 long slide. I like the gun, but I think the Heine sights absolutely suck. Also, this gun shoots low. If I hear one more person tell me I have to "adjust" to the Heine sights. I don't have to adjust to my Sig, Beretta, Ruger, M&P sights. This is absolutely idiotic.

I ordered a set of these sights. I'm okay with the two color scheme. I don't mind having to form a triangle with the green dot a little higher. That's a heck of a lot easier than trying to figure out where to put three white dots at. I use all kind of fiber optic sites. In 90 percent of the cases, these sites are better than tritium. I know, I own a SIG P220 with tritium night sights. They are great in a dark room; however, I find many of these sites difficult to pick up in the daytime.

If there is any ambient light at all, fiber optic sights are awesome. I have them on all my shotguns. Thanks for your article. I can't wait to put these on and get these horrible sights off this gun. If anyone does any research on Taurus guns, everybody complains they shoot low. I've been shooting guns for years, and the last thing I need is to remember "oh yeah, I'm shooting my taurus, so I have to aim a little higher".

It's pretty simple - you pick up a gun - line up the sights - then shoot. If every guns hits the bulls eye and one shoots 5 inches low, it's not the shooter. Thanks for your article. I want to like this gun, but I have to tell you. I absolutely love my M&P. I can shoot lights out at 25 yards. I'm pretty sure the sights will fix the problem.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
pearlcityoss said:
I got a Taurus OSS with the tan color (had to have it). It is basically a 24/7 long slide. I like the gun, but I think the Heine sights absolutely suck.
Didn't your 24/7 OSS come standard with 3-dot Novak sights?
If you look at the specs on the OSS line, they all have Novak 3-dot sights.

http://taurususa.com/products/gunselector-results.cfm?page=1

·
Registered
126 Posts
Is it True-Glo that has the Tritium lamped fiber optics?

Coy, did you talk to PTnightsights? PT will install them for free if you pay the $15 shipping back. If I get a PT111 I will have them install for me as I could never get the factory loctited bolts to loosen.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I agree with the shooting low. Irks me to no end. I once had a pistol (black powder) that shot high. and had to compensate for it. But with this 24/7 Pro I really really want it to shot like it should and not low. Makes me think the bullets are falling out the end of the barrel!! LOL

1 - 20 of 43 Posts