Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

basic question: If I get my pistol barrel Nitrided for durability, will this accelerate the wear on the aluminum frame that it sits in?

This is for a Taurus PT92, but the logic would be the same for a Beretta 92/M9, except that there wouldn't be as much value in the Nitride inside the bore on a Beretta.

I am considering a refinish of the slide and barrel on my PT92 and like the black nitride look, esp with the durability inside the bore.

However, the 'basic question' above came to me and I thought I'd ask.

Please- no snark about the pistol. I know what it is and how it differs from the Beretta- and that is my choice.

I want it to last as long as possible.

My first goal is the inside of the barrel bore. I don't need it everywhere, but I don't think they can do inside barrel only.

So, your thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
35,722 Posts
Snarky comments about the PT 92? It has all of the great attributes of the Beretta with the extra benefit of a frame mounted safety, a huge improvement over Beretta. I love mine.

I'm not a gunsmith, but I can't imagine that coating the barrel would accelerate frame or slide wear. Generally a coating is primarily to seal the metal and afford a better surface for lubricant to adhere to. The pistol is built from the factory for decades of use and carries a lifetime warranty if you are concerned that you'll wear it out. I had the locking block crack and freeze the slide shut a couple of years ago on mine. A friendly LGS mailed it to Taurus USPS (you can't use them unless an FFL) and it cost me 30 bucks to send it and have a new barrel and locking block installed for free. Took about six weeks back then.

If durability is not the concern as much as cosmetics, then go for it but be advised that Taurus historically would not warranty any parts that have been modified / customized. Some say they won't touch the pistol at all, but that wasn't the case in the past. You would have to ask them to see what the current policy is.

As a side note also...anyone who sends a gun to Taurus for service should remove any custom parts added...FO or night sights, grips etc. If they deem the gun unrepairable and decide to replace it, they may not swap those out for you.

Good luck with your gun and shoot the heck out of it! Let us know what you decide.

edit to add...it's just occurred to me..if it's just the barrel you want nitrided, maybe buy an aftermarket barrel...possibly find one that comes coated like that, and save your OEM barrel for spare or if you ever have to send the gun in for repair.

·
Administrator
17,688 Posts
Titanium Nitride Finishes are twice as hard as the Steel, but as long as you properly Lubricate the Frame Barrel Rails, there should be no issue.
Consult your Finish Applicator to find out if there have been any issues in their experience.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I think your only consideration for any amount of wear would be between the barrel outside where it contacts the close fit (between muzzle and the hole in the slide through which the muzzle protrudes when the pistol is in battery ) . I hardly think there would be much wear, because when the slide and barrel begin their recoil movement, the barrel tilts a few degrees and the slide then moves to a position where there is a lot more room - relatively speaking - and continues its reward movement with a lot of slack between the barrel and slide, probably wouldn't be any significant wear there for thousands of rounds. You would only notice this if you first measured the slide-barrel clearance (in battery) when new, then, after a few thousand rounds.

Nitriding the barrel will make it a bit more impervious to wear, but (the stainless steel slide, inside the hole) would be the thing that would wear - first, most obviously, and more. However, a judicious peening of the inside of the slide at this point will tighten it appropriately and you are again, right back where you started. On the other hand, you may find that the nitriding process might actually make wear there less, depending on your lubrication process.

So, my opinion is: "If you like the look, go ahead. There are simple mechanical remedies for any (if at all) wear."

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Which is heavier, a hundred pounds of bricks or a hundred pounds of feathers?
Hard is hard, lube it and shoot it. My Taurus 92 is a Beretta. First run Taurus made off the equipment.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks All!

I have the PT99, which is known for having rear sight failures of the adjustable sight- and there are no more available for repair/replacement.

After my first range trip, and how well this pistol shot, I found a PT92 parts kit, with everything except frame and grips, for about $129 shipped. This way I'd have the fixed sight slide if I run into issues down the road. And I have all the other spares also!

However, there was a spot of rust here/there on inside of 1 rail on slide and about a dime size of rust inside the barrel at the muzzle end. It was like a drop of water was sitting on the front edge of the inside of the barrel, and it lightly rusted there. I have killed the rust and cold blued, but I was thinking of nitride for inside the barrel to reduce the odds of a return.

The spare slide is blued, so I believe it is the carbon steel, the rust dusting cleaned up nicely, but it could be nicer also. I may or may not get the slide done as well.

As to the 'don't judge' line, that deserves a confession. I first posted this on another forum, and then thought I'd ask the Taurus experts. That forum has a lot of taurus bashing, esp from those who haven't used them. I forgot to change that language.

Thanks for the insights everyone!

·
22,055 Posts
Which is heavier, a hundred pounds of bricks or a hundred pounds of feathers?
Hard is hard, lube it and shoot it. My Taurus 92 is a Beretta. First run Taurus made off the equipment.
The teeth of a saw blade are the same hardness as the flat edge of the blade.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
It depends on the process. The liquid salt bath process not only hardens, it creates a surface that has more lubricity. In short, it reduces wear.

So a hard surface does not translate into being more abrasive.

Maloy

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a 13 year old G21 that came from the factory with both the slide and barrel done in black nitride. After all this time and many rounds, it still looks new. A little lube (along with proper maintenance) goes a long way. Look at the wear marks on your barrel and slide. This will be a point of lubrication whether you have the process done or not.

·
Registered
818 Posts
i really have question as to anyone wearing out the inside of a pistol barrel. i would thing that is the last place you would worry about wear though i can't imagine it hurting. on my rifles nitride does make cleaning the bore a dream as copper deposits seem to be almost non-existent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts