Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
JimL said:
Will a PT22 chamber a stinger?
Bumble Bee, or Wasp Stinger :D You know looking at the spec's it says 22LR, if the stinger is just a more high powered version, it should load and fire. But I would bet if it is longer even by a bit, it would be a no go in those mags.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Q: The 22 LR Stinger case is longer that a regular 22 LR. Why?
A: To get high velocity, we use a lighter and shorter bullet in Stinger. For proper feeding, a 22 LR cartridge must be close to one inch long. We stretched the Stinger case to compensate for the shorter bullet and keep the total cartridge length within industry specs.\

The case is a little longer than normal .22lr ammo to take up for the shorter, light 30grain bullet. So the shell will go deeper into the chamber than most .22lr ammo, but this should not be a problem with most guns because the shell casing isn't as wide as the base of the bullet. The shell goes a little bit further up into the chamber where the bullet normally sits. Try placing one in the chamber by hand. They drop right in my ruger 10/22 and fall out without any assistance. Make shure you chamber is cleaned of any lead/powder residue with a bore brush.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
adam731432 said:
Q: The 22 LR Stinger case is longer that a regular 22 LR. Why?
I know the Stingers are longer and I know why. I also know that I can use them in my Browning rifle, but only because I can pull up on the lever and force it in. By forcing it I get about 1/16 inch of rifling imprint in the base of the bullet.

What I don't know is whether, if I bought a PT22, the Stingers would chamber properly. Obviously a chamber the length of the one in my rifle would cause trouble in a semi-auto, given that semi-autos aren't designed to push the lead into the rifling.

A round that also interests me is the Velocitor with the 40 grain HP bullet. I imagine it's at least as long as the Stinger.

JimL

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Robby said:
I would bet if it is longer even by a bit, it would be a no go in those mags.
Then there's that. Stingers are definitely around 1/16 inch longer.

I've read a fair number of posts by people blithley reporting the use of Stingers in the Beretta Bobcat, PT22's progenitor, but that doesn't necessarily cut any ice in PT22 circles.

JimL

·
Registered
418 Posts
The shell is longer to make up for the shorter bullet. The over all length of the bullet is the same though. As stated i have read many people that run stingers threw there BERETTA .22 variant for selfdefence so i would assum they work reliably . The taurus barrel/chamber could be different. I would like the stainless one also with an after market stainless threaded barrel i spotted for 100.00

·
Registered
418 Posts
Only gun i have ever had that didn't take stingers was the youth .22lr Keystone Sporting Arms Davey Cricket Rifle and the copy called the chipmunk. :) http://www.crickett.com/

As stated in that link remingtons work best but you don't want to use bulk pack ammo for self defence. The remington bullets are more rounded like a .25 and feed better than the slanted federals. He also stated that the pistol needed some break in and buffing and works flawlessly now. Most .22lr rim fire guns are picky on ammo an not as reliable as a center fire pistol anyways.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
adam731432 said:
The shell is longer to make up for the shorter bullet. The over all length of the bullet is the same though.
So say internet articles. When I wrote that the Stinger is longer, OAL, than the LR, I was referring to the ones I have in my hand, which I measured with a micrometer.

JimL

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NYPD in AZ said:
This looks like a lost cause. There are posts out there saying yes and saying no. Of course there is no guarantee that older PT22's are identical to later models. It looks like the only way to be sure is to buy one and try it out. I won't do that, because if they won't shoot Stingers I don't want one.

JimL

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
adam731432 said:
Only gun i have ever had that didn't take stingers was the youth .22lr Keystone Sporting Arms Davey Cricket Rifle and the copy called the chipmunk. :)
Did you ever have a Taurus PT22?

JimL

·
Registered
418 Posts
That was cci's statement.
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/education/faq.aspx
I also measured the cci stinger,and bulk pack federal and remington golden bullet. It is very close,only a hair longer. But if you notice the only part that touches the rifling is the base of the bullet that is wider than the conned part.

Other hyper velocity/SD ammo you might want to try is Remington Yellow Jacket,CCI quick shock that fragments into 3 pieces,and the fastest .22lr Aguila claims is there "Super Max" @1750 FPS at the muzzle with 204lbs of energy

·
Registered
418 Posts
Calm down buddy. Go to the local gunstore that doesn't have a commando working there with is own opinions he sees as fact,and ask if you or they can pop the barrel up and see if it chambers/drops in easily and has a short enough OAL to fit in the magazine. If he isn't willing to do so, then tell him he must not want a sell. :) The guy shows one in the pic with his beretta 22 so he obviously shoots them. The guy with the tuarus pt22 just says they wont feed. He doesn't say they wont chamber. Maby it needed break in,was dirty, ect.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
adam731432 said:
I also measured the cci stinger,and bulk pack federal and remington golden bullet. It is very close,only a hair longer.
Mine shows .0030 inches.

But if you notice the only part that touches the rifling is the base of the bullet
That's what I said.

JimL

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Will a PT22 shoot Stingers reliably?

adam731432 said:
Calm down buddy. Go to the local gunstore that doesn't have a commando working there with is own opinions he sees as fact,and ask if you or they can pop the barrel up and see if it chambers/drops in easily and has a short enough OAL to fit in the magazine.
As soon as someone opens a gun shop with PT-22's in it I'll hop right on that.

The guy with the tuarus pt22 just says they wont feed. He doesn't say they wont chamber. Maby it needed break in,was dirty, ect.
OK, I just changed the title from "chamber."

BTW, you forgot to say if you have had a PT-22.

JimL

·
Registered
418 Posts
No i don't own one, but im not saying they fit either. I would bet on they do in the beretta, but if i found a pt22 for 250.00 out the door i would buy it today.

If the stingers don't work, i would go with a beretta or different ammo. I wonder if the beretta barrel fits the p22?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Other hyper velocity/SD ammo you might want to try is Remington Yellow Jacket,CCI quick shock that fragments into 3 pieces,and the fastest .22lr Aguila claims is there "Super Max" @1750 FPS at the muzzle with 204lbs of energy

I bought mine in 1996 and it works well with them. I however did split the slide on it with just three rounds of that hot Aguila stuff. Taurus repaired it but sent a strongly worded letter saying not to shoot any hyper velocity ammo in it.

I practice with bulk pack stuff and carry Stingers in it. It is also one of the few semi auto's I have found that will chamber and shoot Yellowjackets reliably.

YMMV ;D

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gopher said:
I bought mine in 1996 and it works well with them. I however did split the slide on it with just three rounds of that hot Aguila stuff. Taurus repaired it but sent a strongly worded letter saying not to shoot any hyper velocity ammo in it.
You know, I could almost swear I've seen that comment somewhere else just yesterday... Same thing. Used Aguila ... a split slide ... an irate Taurus...

Did you post that on another forum?

I still find it very interesting that Taurus declares ALL their guns +P capable in their sales literature, but after you buy they say you should not use +P.

JimL

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gopher said:
I however did split the slide on it with just three rounds of that hot Aguila stuff.
I had this same thought the first time I read this. I'd like for someone to tell me how a hot round splits a PT22 slide. Were does it split?

JimL

1 - 20 of 39 Posts