Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd take a chance on the stuff for the purpose of cheap practice ammo. But it won't even feed properly. The casing doesn't go all the way into the chamber. I manually placed one round into the chamber and it fired fine, but several others were too big to fit. So at the risk of getting one lodged in the chamber we just quit and she blazed through 100 rounds out of the SR22.

At least she got some fundamental work at the range. And the Ruger does put a lot of fun in fundamental!

So I've got 99 rounds of .380 Tulammo. If anyone can use it just let me know.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
The TCP does not like the bullet profile of the Tulammo. I got some sample .380 bullets to reload from a company and they also would not fit the TCP. The bullet profile was just to fat near the base.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
I would be glad to take the Tula.
But its probably not worth the cost to ship it-unless you know something I don't.

I have 4 -380's. I am sure I could shoot it up.

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
Sounds like a good reason to buy another 380. Well you just can't leave those bullets sittin around can you?

What you wanna bet they'd work in the Taurus 380 revolver.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Lots of guns apparently don't like that garbage.

Reactions: gajoe

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Tula is trying to move up in market placement and quality. Good for them but the growing pains are real for many people/shooters. I shoot their steel cased 7.62 AK rounds but that is still my limit to date. I'm hoping that they DO grow to meet their aspirations but until then...

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Bought a 50 count box of it for my 9mm, haven't even tried it yet.. Time is coming though, i'm running out of everything else!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
May as well find out in the case that you are looking for more!

·
Registered
14,821 Posts
My PT145 eats Tulammo just fine.

My son's Ruger SR9c eats Tulammo just fine.

My AK47 eats Tulammo too.

A friend of my son only has one pistol, a Hi Point 9mm. For practice, he uses Tulammo. He is the reason my son tried it as he got a bunch for cheap and it works.

You really cannot label a whole brand as "garbage" simply because some guns do not like it.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I also won't label it all garbage, but I will say that the Sig P238 didn't like it. Could not even camber a round from any of the 3 boxes of 50 I bought. They hung approx .125" from going in completely.

Both my 809 & 709 liked the first 400 rds of a 900 rd Spam can I split with my son, that's why I picked it up the for the Sig. Well that plus it was the only thing in the store.

However both my guns have developed a distaste for the Tula and I had 3 of the casings split and jam from the last 50 rd box I shot. Had to rod out the spent shells in both.

I have another 900 rds can in the stash I might end up putting on GunGrab or whatever it's called.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And lots of guns do like it.
It works fine in my AR. I ran 200 rounds through it at Thanksgiving. It's all good though. Met a guy last night who was all too happy to buy it for exactly what I paid. Said he had a Ruger that eats it up.

I've been lucky to find something I can use at BassPro almost everytime I stop in, but I'm still searching for the elusive .22lr. I long for the days when the 500 round boxes could be found anywhere for $20.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My TCP has no problem with Tula ammo...I rarely use it tho because I heard the steel casings could break the extractor although I've ran a couple of hundred thru it and never experienced any probs.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I had a prob with That ammo in my 709 Guess some guns can be finicky bout what kind of ammo you feed it.
My 709 eats it with no problems, kicks all the empty in a nice little pile. I think it's the only ammo I havnt had a failure with.

·
Registered
14,821 Posts
I never shot that stuff always seen it but never tried glad I didn't after hearing stuff like this.
I prefer to try it and see if my firearm will use it.

So far I (and my son) have not been disappointed.

Seems many rely upon hearing bad things from a friend of a friend.

Truthfully though, people have problems with other ammo brands too. But, the difference is, if they say anything on a forum like this about the other brands, people will immediately point the blame at the firearm and not the ammo.

But, if it is steel cased ammo, many will automatically assume that it is the ammo at fault.

I deliberately try steel cased ammo in all my firearms. If they struggle to shoot it, I fix them, or have them fixed to where they will shoot it.

This leaves more ammo for me when the SHTF as I have made sure my firearms will handle any ammo available.

YMMV

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have not tried tulammo in my 740 but my Jericho 941 eats it up and throws it out. Leaves the gun really dirty though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts