Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a new SR-22 for my wife!

2012-01-27 20.37.39.jpg

Practiced stripping, assembling, and taught her how to clean our new weapon. I mean her new weapon. I think she can focus on the fundamentals better on this weapon without being distracted by the recoil and report of our PT809. I expect her to shoot better too, a good confidence-building exercise. Eventually, I expect this to be a cheap training aid with the PT809 being the focus.

Despite using the larger grip and the pinkie rest, it still feels small. But that's okay, since I won't be the primary user. For the weapon to "point" right, my thumb-hand joint presses hard against the bottom of the lower receiver. I chalk it down to a much narrower grip.

The safety is a little annoying on three counts. Firstly, it is the "wrong" way, but that's not a big deal at the range because I rarely manipulate the safety.

Stripping and assembling the weapon is not difficult, disassembling with the safety engaged as Ruger instructs makes it seem more complicated than it need be. It feels more like consciously disassembling a machine than a drill you do without thinking too much about. Then again, the M-16 is disassembled after you cock it and engage the safety, so maybe that's just me. I tried disassembling it with the safety disengaged and the "flow" is much better. With the safety engaged, you need to cock the hammer back before assembly.

Lastly, removal of the magazine, and/or engagement of the safety renders the trigger limp. I have a habit of checking the function of the firearm after reassembly, and all I can do is to rack the slide and perhaps pull the trigger in SA & DA modes once.

The trigger reset is better than the SIG Mosquito, but worse than my PT809. To get a feel of it, I need to hold down the slide stop with an empty magazine loaded. Squeezing the trigger, it is easy to take up the slack, but the final bit required to make it fire requires quite a bit of force.

The slide seems kind of stiff right now, and the pull isn't very smooth. I'm sure it'll improve with use.

Going to the range tomorrow, can't wait!

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Nice looking gun, I agree the safety on these are wrong but hey other then that they look very good.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Back from the range!

Shot 100 rounds of CCI Mini-Mags and about 200 rounds of Winchester 555-round bulk pack, both copper plated hollow points. I usually prefer FMJs but that's what I could get.

Using the Mini-Mags, the rounds were landing low at 15' even though I was covering the target with the front sight. Adjusted the rear sight to the lowest position and it still won't move, so I unwound it by two turns. At 25', the rounds went through the bullseye. I gues I was lucky. Windage is dead on. I'm not too worried about elevation. I don't know what range the firearm was zeroed at, and with what load, at the factory.

The pistol was accurate. The Mini-Mags gave solid cracks, while the Winchester ammo gave bangs. The Winchester ammo seemed inconsistent though, and my friend experienced an extra light recoil that made me check for a bore obstruction. No stoppages with the Mini-Mags, and one no-feed with the Winchesters, toward the end of our day. Maybe that was due to the fouling and a light load which ejected the last shell, without pushing the slide far enough to strip a round off the magazine.

Despite the compact size of this pistol, the recoil was light because the pistol is quite dense. I had doubts about its ergonomics in my last post, but when I started firing it was perfectly usable. The trigger doesn't feel stiff unlike what I reported last night too.

Quite pleased with how much this trip to the range cost: $25 inc. tax for three shooters and two extra targets, $10 in 9 mm, $7 for the Mini-Mags, and $7 for the Winchester .22. I think we'll save money by spending money on the SR-22. :) Also pleased by how my shots with the PT809 were better without many "warm-up" rounds.

Here are some pictures of the targets. There were three shooters. I was also firing my PT809. Even after the targets are too worn for .22, they are still usable for 9 mm. The black circles are 6" in diameter.

At 15 & 25 feet:
2012-01-28 12.57.01.jpg

At 45 feet. Need more practice, evidently.
2012-01-28 12.57.22.jpg

After 300 rounds, the pistol is filthy. My wife is complaining very loudly right now. There appears to be some unburned grains of powder. Is that normal?
2012-01-28 13.02.47.jpg

·
Super Moderator
26,865 Posts
Back from the range!

Shot 100 rounds of CCI Mini-Mags and about 200 rounds of Winchester 555-round bulk pack, both copper plated hollow points. I usually prefer FMJs but that's what I could get.

Using the Mini-Mags, the rounds were landing low at 15' even though I was covering the target with the front sight. Adjusted the rear sight to the lowest position and it still won't move, so I unwound it by two turns. At 25', the rounds went through the bullseye. I gues I was lucky. Windage is dead on. I'm not too worried about elevation. I don't know what range the firearm was zeroed at, and with what load, at the factory.

The pistol was accurate. The Mini-Mags gave solid cracks, while the Winchester ammo gave bangs. The Winchester ammo seemed inconsistent though, and my friend experienced an extra light recoil that made me check for a bore obstruction. No stoppages with the Mini-Mags, and one no-feed with the Winchesters, toward the end of our day. Maybe that was due to the fouling and a light load which ejected the last shell, without pushing the slide far enough to strip a round off the magazine.

Despite the compact size of this pistol, the recoil was light because the pistol is quite dense. I had doubts about its ergonomics in my last post, but when I started firing it was perfectly usable. The trigger doesn't feel stiff unlike what I reported last night too.

Quite pleased with how much this trip to the range cost: $25 inc. tax for three shooters and two extra targets, $10 in 9 mm, $7 for the Mini-Mags, and $7 for the Winchester .22. I think we'll save money by spending money on the SR-22. :) Also pleased by how my shots with the PT809 were better without many "warm-up" rounds.

Here are some pictures of the targets. There were three shooters. I was also firing my PT809. Even after the targets are too worn for .22, they are still usable for 9 mm. The black circles are 6" in diameter.

At 15 & 25 feet:
View attachment 20418

At 45 feet. Need more practice, evidently.
View attachment 20419

After 300 rounds, the pistol is filthy. My wife is complaining very loudly right now. There appears to be some unburned grains of powder. Is that normal?
View attachment 20417
Good report.
My experience with bulk pack 22's no matter what maker, on a PT22 and both my 22 rifles is that unburnt powder, if that is what it is, is common. More expensive the round...the less residue.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I shot some winchester bulk in my Bersa 22 a couple weeks ago. Occasionally I would have some rounds that wouldn't eject the case. There was quite a difference than the CCI Stingers I keep it loaded with. Congrats on a new pistol.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Nice little package. I might have to unload one of my Mk2 or Mk3s to free some cash to get one.

My wife likes the new Walther. I muttered something about my dead body and walked away from the gun case. This Ruger might be a good comprimise.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Congratulations on your new pistol. Like Taurus, Ruger is putting out a few new handguns that are highly sought after and it seems the new SR-22 is no exception to this. :)

Reactions: andreew

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice little package. I might have to unload one of my Mk2 or Mk3s to free some cash to get one.

My wife likes the new Walther. I muttered something about my dead body and walked away from the gun case. This Ruger might be a good comprimise.
I was tempted by an offer at my LGS for a used P22 with 3 magazines and a holster. I even got to shoot it, unlike the Ruger, but the aluminum vs. zinc slide was the deciding factor for me.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I have been looking at these guns and will probably get one when I find one for the right price. The last gun show I attended the prices were all over the place. $429 was the cheapest I found at the show but I've seen them in my LGS cheaper.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Interesting pistol -- it looks sort of like a Hi Point. I would like to shoot one, but I don't think I would trade my Beretta Neos for it....

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The place I got it from was selling it at $305. It was $299 right at the beginning of the month.

I got them to check that the barrel nut was firmly secured, and there were no problems there.

This weapon shoots CCI Mini-Mags and the Winchester 555 pack very well. I tried Winchester Super-X high velocity (Walmart.com: Winchester SuperX 22LR 37gr HP: Hunting), but the weapon would eject the spent round, but the slide would not go back far enough to chamber the next. I'm not sure if it was because the rounds were under-powered, or if it was because the Remoil I applied last Saturday had seeped away or dried up.

I thought that by choosing a little "nicer" ammo, I would get more consistency in the ammunition, but I guess that did not happen. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Using the Mini-Mags, the rounds were landing low at 15' even though I was covering the target with the front sight. Adjusted the rear sight to the lowest position and it still won't move, so I unwound it by two turns.
If you adjusted the rear sight down, you were making the strike go lower, not higher. Gotta go up on the rear to bring the strike up. JAT

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks! I reasoned it wrong the last time. I'm just lucky I guess. Wherever the sights are now, they go through the bullseye at 25'!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts