Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bride of 30 years is finally going to bite the bullet (...sorry...) and try shooting a handgun. We've had a LOT of discussion lately. I have a job interview at 11:00 tomorrow, and we're going afterwards. I'm only taking 5 of my guns with; 2 pistols, a 20-ga double, a 10/22 and the model 94. I know she wants to shoot the PT1911, and hoping she will also try the 10/22 and the .22 High Standard. The 20-ga and the .30-30 are strictly for ME!! But this is very exciting for me and a quantum change for her. I hope to "create a monster" tomorrow!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Congratulations! I would let her start with the model 94 then move her up to something in a 38 before letting her try the PT1911.

My wife had shot my 22 SA revolver and our High Standard 22LR Auto's, but I hadn't properly told her what to expect with the 1911A1 before she fired it the first time. Yes she was shocked, but wanted to shoot it some more after I gave her a pair of ear muffs. Now I have to get her started all over again as she is concerned about shooting since she had a pacemaker/defibrillator implanted a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lil Beav....sorry, that's a Model 1894 Winchester, the "rifle what won the West". She's going to watch me shoot the 1911 1st to get an idea of the recoil...but that's the one she wants to try. She ain't interested too much in a measly .22... She'll be able to handle it. I have a set of muffs for her...she'll need 'em!
I wish she'd try the High Standard first, but she's stoked.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
My wife loves shooting my PT1911. It was the first gun she had ever fired. Today was her first time on steel targets with It, and she was a natural!

Sent a long time ago from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away...

Reactions: HD-Mike

·
Registered
930 Posts
My wife loves to go to the range. We usually shoot a .22WMR AMT Automag-II, the S&W SD40VE and a Taurus TCP .380. My wife loves to shoot all three but she really enjoys the .40 S&W. Have fun!!!! Take you time and enjoy the range.

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Wish i could get my wife to go, but as with so many women it seems, she isnt a fan of guns. It might eventually happen, but it is a very long way off, and something would have to happen.

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
Congrats. this is a start.Good luck

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Have fun at the range then stop and get a nice meal on the way home and enjoy the day spent together Randy

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Good luck at the range. You will have a good time. My wife shoots anything you put in front of her and she loves my PT1911. Good suggestion on going out to dinner afterwards. Make a full, fun day of it. My wife is always up for a trip to the range, hitting the road on our Harleys, or cruising in our hot rod '50 Ford Panel truck. We have been married for 35 years this month and I think a lot of the reason we have been together so long is because we have common interests.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
This past January I took my wife of 30 years to her first range session. Started her out on a Walther PP22, and she then progressed through our 9mm's, 1911, Beretta Stampede .45 Colt SA, and her favorites of the day, the AR and AKM. She was so excited she could hardly sleep later.

...if you know what I mean, and I think you do...

Reactions: Wolf1477

·
Super Moderator
37,260 Posts
Great news! Hope it's a fun and positive day!

·
5,686 Posts
Awesome! Have a great time and let us know how it goes. I'm always happy to hear that more and more women are shooting these days.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Bring plenty of ammunition for all of your guns, I get a feeling your wife is going to
find out why you love shooting and buying firearms and ammunition!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Report: (...this message has been approved by my wife...) THE MONSTER HAS BEEN CREATED!! We shot the .22 High Standard (1 10-round magazine...), and it was OFF TO THE RACES. "Now I want to try the .45..." We went through 50 rounds of FMJ, then I put 5 defensive (JHPs) into the magazine to see how it would feed. "Mikey LIKES it!!" Chewed it right up. Sour note of the day: the PT1911 threw the rear sight screw, so we couldn't hit a dang thing. So will contact Taurus to get that replaced. My "smithy" will tighten it down when it arrives and tweak it in with us at his range. Bottom line is my PT1911 might be getting a sibling. She really liked the large frame and was very comfortable with it. So I think soon I'll be hearing those seven loving words every husband on this forum longs to hear: "Honey, when are we going shooting again?"

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you one & all for the warm fuzzies. She really had a blast (pun intended...).

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
yep another range monster created next shell have more pistols than you my wife loves her 1911 compact 22 by ati and has conficated my new citedel compact 9mm lease she let me keep my pt1911 ss
jhp

·
Registered
215 Posts
YES! I created a monster myself earlier this year. My wife got a Millenium PT111PRO 9mm in February and the first range trip was a little scary for her(39 and NEVER shot a firearm before). The next range trip was awesome for her as she quickly got comfortable with the firearm and was putting bullets on the target. Now, every chance we get, we are at the range and she handles that 9 so well that i actually got her to try my .45 24/7g2. Bad move, SHE WANTS MY GUN NOW!!!

·
Super Moderator
37,260 Posts
Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun exercising those firearms and slinging lead. My wife always shied away from my PT 1911 thinking that the recoil would be too fierce. Once she shot it she realized that looks can be deceiving.

That reminds me...it's been a long time since she's gone to the range with me. My SIL has been afraid of guns and my wife's brother has been wanting to get her out to the range. I'll have to suggest that my wife talk her into going on a quiet weekday.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts