Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife, for the first time, has expressed an interest in learning how to shoot a handgun. My first thought is Yeah!! Maybe she'll like it as much as me. My second thought, however, is Uh-Ohh, she's going to want me to suggest a gun and show her how. I'm a firm believer that instructing a spouse on anything is a recipe for disaster. And I really like living and living with her.
So, my question is, how's the best way to say "Here's an hour with a pro at the local range. Ask him what pistol is best for you and have him teach you how to use it."?

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
I taught my wife how to shoot handguns. Only problem is my ammo cost doubled!

As to the time with the Pro... tell her you want her to have the best experience possible and that a pro has expereince helping people make these types of decisions for the first time!

Or you can tell her the truth, Honey I like you too much!

·
Super Moderator
36,757 Posts
My wife, sister and cousin wanted to take a handgun safety course and I tagged along. It was a great refresher for me and they seem to listen and learn better when the information comes from someone else (although maybe they listen better because they paid for it).

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Take her to a beginners class at a local range, a lot of times they let you shoot a few kinds of handguns, and/or rifles.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
My wife, for the first time, has expressed an interest in learning how to shoot a handgun. My first thought is Yeah!! Maybe she'll like it as much as me. My second thought, however, is Uh-Ohh, she's going to want me to suggest a gun and show her how. I'm a firm believer that instructing a spouse on anything is a recipe for disaster. And I really like living and living with her.
So, my question is, how's the best way to say "Here's an hour with a pro at the local range. Ask him what pistol is best for you and have him teach you how to use it."?
I don't see a problem, take your wife to the range and have a great time, I must be missing something.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Keep it simple and unless she violate one of the 4 rules let her have fun. When my wife first start shooting she was bad about waving the gun around. I got a little tense with her on that, but otherwise she had a good time and wants to go whenever she can. She understood it was for both of our safety. The time with a pro is a good idea for improving her handling skills.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
BTW Congrats on her interest in your past time.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Hi,

I think you will both enjoy shooting together.
I started my wife shooting my 22, then moved on up to my 38 revolver.
She got real comfortable shooting the 38. It became "her" gun
Going to the range became like "date night". We then got our "HCP"'s.
Recently, I got her a private lesson with the gun range pro, and she really got alot out of it.
Right after that, she started shooting my Sig .380, and Taurus 9mm.

So, my advise is...Either have her start buying her own ammo, or get her interested in reloading.
Seriously, Hope you both have as much fun as we do shooting together!

Rob

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I did the same thing with my wife..paid $35/hr for a range pro to teach her the basics, don't wave that thing around and keep your booger finger out of the trigger. Best monies I have ever spent...except...our ammo allowance doubled.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I agree with Bored1. If the person teaching the class is a legitimate instructor, they usually like raw material to work with (no bad habits). When I recently took a class for my permit the two range people were a retired policeman and a retired marine. Both have extensive experience training others to shoot and the women in the class that had very little experience in shooting got 1 on 1 training while qualifying. They all really enjoyed the class and all of them were able to qualify the first time.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If I had a Wife or GF right now I would take them to a class and let a professional give the advice, that way theres no "back fire". (pardon the pun) Yanno that wife thing where they say "Well you told me to do it this way" or "So and so told me you were wrong about such and such" or "Its your fault!" yanno avoid the trap man, but stay involved in her evolution as a shooter. I agree with some of these guys that it could be a fun date night thing (that is if you aren't the one totally responsable for her training) another piece of advice is hide her gun when its "That time of the month" lol

·
Registered
591 Posts
Some of the best markspersons have been women, as long as your wife does not want to shoot you, buy her a handlable pistol and get her some lessons, great one more convert

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
It sounds as if you may have had some bad luck trying to teach your wife something in the past???
I tried to teach my wife to drive a clutch, BIG mistake, same thing for riding motorcycles, BIG mistake.

This is my plan for next year as far as training.

I would suggest you buy her a gift certificate for an all female basic handgun/ safety course and a concealed carry course, and maybe buy another for a friend of hers so they can go together.

As far as a weapon for your wife, I say take her to as many different places as you can to find what she likes and what fits her hand, then figure out what she can handle as far as caliber.

.22's are the way to go for introducing newbies to the shooting sports.

Buying similar weapons in carry caliber and .22 make for cheap and easy practice.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Keep it simple and unless she violate one of the 4 rules let her have fun. When my wife first start shooting she was bad about waving the gun around. I got a little tense with her on that, but otherwise she had a good time and wants to go whenever she can. She understood it was for both of our safety. The time with a pro is a good idea for improving her handling skills.
Good advice!

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Yep, go with her. I told my wife and daughter..."Look, I'm not a professional instructor, in fact I would probably learn from it so let's all do it together." Shows how seriously you take it.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
You guys don't know how Blessed you are to have your wife or girlfriend to care about shooting with you...man what I would give if mine cared about going to the range or guns...she jumps me when I buy a box of ammo to want to go to the range...So give your better half a good hug!!!!

·
Super Moderator
27,039 Posts
I teach kids to shoot.
Before each kid goes to the range for the first time with me. They are instructed in my rules. At the end of every rule there is the line: If you disobey this rule, I will lose trust in you, and you will be removed from my range. If, you are reinstated to my range, and you disobey this, or ANY other rule, you will be removed from my range FOREVER and used as an example of what not to do!
My point is: Lay out the ground rules first before you even agree to go to the range...if they cant handle that.... SORRY...not my range!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts