Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I brought my wife out to the range and had her try my 24/7 Pro DS Compact .40 and it was a little too much gun for her. She managed to fire off two and a half mags but that was all she could do. So I'm looking for some suggestions as to what would be a good gun for her. She is a smaller woman but is tough lol. Thanks!

·
Registered
475 Posts
My wife has a 9mm 24/7 Pro Compact, for range and carry. She chose it on her own, slide easy to rack and the 24/7 handles recoil well for her comfort( if you both have 24/7's that's a plus , if you ever had to use the others firearm in a pinch). If you still want to go lighter, check out a .380, in a compact.

I think a day shopping with your wife at the LGS's is called for so she can look and you get to have fun shopping too.

Go luck on your search.

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
Mine shoots my PT 1911 very well :D :D :D

I'd recommend looking at an M85 (regular or ultra lite). they are great .38spcl revolvers!

I have a M85UL that I carry alot, I am carrying it today as a matter of fact.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
.40 S&W is a hot caliber, especially for many members of the fairer sex. My wife likes her Ruger
LCR in .38 Special but firing a lot of shots during a range session puts a hurting on her hand
because it's such a light gun. The 9mm 24/7 compact the previous poster suggested sounds
good to me. I've thought about getting a Ruger LC9 for my wife but she isn't very familiar
with semiauto pistols yet. After last weekends range session with one of my 1911s that she
fell in love with, I think she is now willing to learn a few things.

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Wow - once you get your wife started, there's no stopping the two of you! ;) I like a lot of calibers: 22, 32, 38, 380,9mm, 45c; but in general prefer revolvers (I like shooting 45 acp out of a revolver better than most pistols). I do have several pistols that I like, too - but for me the most important factor besides comfort is the ability to take the firearm apart and put it all back together by myself! That being said - I make the folks at the lgs demo dis-assembly and ask them if I can try to do it myself.

Try to find "previously owned" firearms in the beginning because as she starts to get comfortable she will want to change hand guns rather quickly. There's nothing like haveing the shooting hobbies to enjoy together! Best of luck!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Got a range that rents in your area. 9, 380 and 38 special are ALL going to have a bit less recoil.

I like sekol's mention of buying used - I swapped guns early in my experience a good bit more than I do now. Renting a few can get through some of that IF it is an option.

The Bersa is a good mention as well in 9 or 380. A bit of weight in the gun can mitigate recoil quite well IF the weight is not a problem for her.

I don't go below 9mm but that is personal preference. I prefer semi auto to revolvers as well - same reason. Shortening the route to the good match is the challenge!! ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah the range I go to does rent out pistols. I'm a fan of semi auto over revolvers. Idk why just always have been. I think I'll have her try a couple at the range and then when she can say which she's more comfortable with I'll prob buy used cuz knowing her, she'll change her mind lol. I'd prefer her to be in a 9mm personally.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Ouch, that's a bit much to expect the wife to be comfortable shooting .40's. Personally, I would shoot 1,000 rounds of .45 ACP from a Derringer than to run more than 100 rounds of .40 S&W in any handgun I've shot in my life. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on the caliber too much really. It's done fairly well over time having almost the speed of a 9mm with almost the power of a .45, would supersede any arguments if it was a 10mm load but that's another topic for another thread.

But as for her, she needs to decide what she would be comfortable with. The rental options of a good range should help a ton, just make sure you get her to know you're going for feel and function not looks in most cases. Range guns that are popular generally speaking have a fair amount of wear on them, but they function fine and are the best maintained guns in the building. Afterwards you can browse the cases to get an idea on prices, and then you can decide what you're going to do from there.

Reactions: MilProGuy and Sekol

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
You really need to let your wife decide what she likes. Don't just let someone talk you into a 38 snubby or a pocket sized 380. My wife hates both my 380s, my 45ACP, my 40s, and my 327. I let her choose her firearm and she chose a Taurus 709Slim. That's how we got into Taurus, actually. Let your wife choose; her choice may surprise you.

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
Ok - as always she needs to try the gun for fit & feel in the hand. This said my wife shoots very well with many of my pistols, yet she would never considering carrying them. Her first carry gun? a TCP PT 732. Sadly Taurus discontinued them, but they can be found new from time to time on GB. The 32acp has much less felt recoil than its big brother the PT 738. She now owns one of each, & shoots well with them (better with the 732).

Here's a shot of her PT 738 in SS with a lavender frame from the factory. Her PT 732 is SS with a custom cera-cote paint job in joker purple.

Remember the pistol needs to not only be functional, it most be fashionable too! :p

Women - they certainly make the world a more colorful place ;)

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
The .380 pistols, Kel-tec P3AT and Bersa Thunder, are the least pleasant guns to shoot that I own.

I like all metal pistol in 9 mm, but I also own .40 S&W and .45 ACP. I suggest you find something she will be willing to practice with. Don't overlook .38 Special for her. A revolver is a simple to operate and that is good for a beginner.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
620 Posts
So I brought my wife out to the range and had her try my 24/7 Pro DS Compact .40 and it was a little too much gun for her. She managed to fire off two and a half mags but that was all she could do. So I'm looking for some suggestions as to what would be a good gun for her. She is a smaller woman but is tough lol. Thanks!
For a range gun or what...?? She has loads of options if its just for a range gun.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Too many variables involved here to really make a suggestion. Does she carry? How? On or off body? How dedicated is she to dressing around the gun/holster combination? Is there a gun that she has shot that she really likes?

Too many of today's revolvers, especially small ones, have a double-action pull in the 10-12 pound range. A lot of people find that excessive. Most semi-autos are today striker fired, with trigger pulls in the 5-8 pound range, and shorter. This makes them easier to shoot.

Hand size, and hand and wrist strength also factor into this.

My neighbor has fibromyalgia. This has caused weak wrists. For her, a full-sized anything rapidly becomes uncomfortable, regardless of recoil levels. Add in recoil, and her ability to shoot degrades quickly. Add in pain from a session with the fibromyalgia, and she would be best suited to show a picture of the gun. She obtained her CCW after a road-rage incident in which she was menaced by a fat freak with a gun. Her choice after shooting multiple weapons? A S&W Bodyguard. At the usual engagement range of 7-10 yards, the laser allows for a wobbly hold, and she is proficient with it. A smallish person, the little Bodyguard fits her ability to conceal well.

Her husband, on the other hand, chose a S&W Shield, in .40 S&W caliber. To his wife, you might just as well show her the gun, then hit her hand with a hammer. It hurts her to shoot it.

Both use a different gun for Home Defense. She has a Ruger Security-Six, 4", loaded with Federal 125 gr. JHPs. However, she cannot conceal it. She also, despite everything multiple instructors have tried, shoots it single-action. The husband keeps a Sig P229 DAK, in .40 for the bed-side gun.

Let her find, shoot, and decide what SHE wants. No matter what she chooses, it WILL beat a sharp word for self-defense. ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
My wife loves the Bursa 380. Actually I do too. They were cheap but really shoot well. My wife likes the 1911's think it is.we have and she really wants a .40 like my Ruger P94. (.40) Was looking into a Taurus 840 I think it is.

·
Registered
29,895 Posts
My #1 recommendation for any newbie is a all steel medium framed .38/.357 revolver (S&W K-frame, Taurus 65/80/82 series). They can be loaded from "Mild to Wild". So start em off with some super light recoiling 148 gr. target wadcutters and when their confidence and skill improves, they can move up the heavier loads at their own pace. However wadcutters are not a bad choice for recoil sensitive folks either.. .

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
I've got a Sig 232 on my hip this week. I loaned it to my Grandmother for several years. She fired it in her late 80s and liked it. She gave it back about 2 years before she died at 94. Just didn't want it around the house anymore. Too many health care people and maids in and out and she didn't want it to disappear. Or for one of my cousins to inherit my gun. LOL

1 - 20 of 61 Posts