Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Yup, shut your pie hole. Not related but I had a rich punk in mammas beemer make a illegal left turn from the third lane that didn't exist. I filled out a written report at the scene with the police and they issued the kid a ticket and there insurance kept calling me for a statement. I kept saying my report is at the police station. I was born at night, just not last night! Guess who won?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I have a few of my lawyers business cards in my wallet, that's all the police will get if I ever have to fire my gun.
Also helps when your lawyer is your brother in law.

Although when my wife had to use hers a few years ago the police treated her like a princess, it help when your Blond, Buxom and British (They even found her a tea bag for her cuppa.)

·
Registered
295 Posts
I pay for a special legal defense in case I have to use my gun. Their cheat sheet says, "If you have to use your gun inside your house:"

1. Call 911 and say, "I have just been the victim of a crime. Please send a squad car and an ambulance immediately."

2. HANG UP!!! They will try to keep you on the phone, but there is no legal requirement for you to stay on the phone and they can use the recording of the 911 call against you in court.

3. Call your prepaid attorney. Tell them where you are.

4. Return your gun to a safe place.

5. Wait for the cops to show up. Tell them, "There is the body of the person who just committed a crime against me."

6. Give them only the most basic information, Name, location of the gun, that's about it. Tell them that you will cooperate 100% with all of their requests, but you WILL REMAIN SILENT until your lawyer shows up.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I pay for a special legal defense in case I have to use my gun. Their cheat sheet says, "If you have to use your gun inside your house:"

1. Call 911 and say, "I have just been the victim of a crime. Please send a squad car and an ambulance immediately."

2. HANG UP!!! They will try to keep you on the phone, but there is no legal requirement for you to stay on the phone and they can use the recording of the 911 call against you in court.

3. Call your prepaid attorney. Tell them where you are.

5. Wait for the cops to show up. Tell them, "There is the body of the person who just committed a crime against me."

6. Give them only the most basic information, Name, location of the gun, that's about it. Tell them that you will cooperate 100% with all of their requests, but you WILL REMAIN SILENT until your lawyer shows up.
Mine's called 2AM. I'll call 911 and keep my gun on me. I'm not the perp so why hide my gun?

Reactions: aquajim

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I hope to never need this advice, but it is always good to get a reminder. It's amazing what can happen to a good guy in our joke of a legal system.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Well, you don't want to offer information and any "feeling" you want to express is "I feared for my life." But being totally resistant to police questions can have unpleasant initial repercussions (and concussions) as well.

·
Registered
541 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Which DOES NOT mean go put it away somewhere.
Keep it readily available should BG actually not be dead in your house, BG dying while still running another hundred yards and may return, or BG has partner/posse waiting outside and may provide assistance.

When LEOs arrive (XX minutes later) don't have it in your hands!
But don't have it locked up or "hidden" somewhere.

FOR YOU it's good to have it available and LEOs will be okay with that.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I too subscribe to a pre-paid self-defense legal package. I have advised me of the same thing with one caveat. I need to, since Salinas vs. Texas, explicitly invoke my right to remain silent for it to be in effect if my status is pre-Miranda. Otherwise, my silence can be used against me. SCOTUS Approves Use of Pre-Miranda Silence as Evidence of Guilt | NWSidebar
Excellent citation.

I now feel it appropriate to review my bill of rights to become more familiar with more than just 1, 2 & 4A.

Very nice. :thumb:

Reactions: egor20 and ncfarmer

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Sound advice. Even lawyers for the police will encourage them to decompress and get a couple of night's sleep before giving a statement.

The problems is that innocent people want to talk - understandably. But there will be omissions due to the stress. Innocent omissions can later seem like recent fabrications to help the defense. A good criminal defense attorney, if s/he encourages a client to talk at all, will have previously sat down and asked the client all the hard questions and allowed the client to get things straight (legitimately - not by encouraging lying) before making a statement.

·
Registered
8,052 Posts
Thanks for posting this! I haven't pulled my gun on anyone yet and pray that
I never do but knowing what to do and what can happen in the criminal justice
system of today's America is important. This article gives good advice and
having a good attorney who is experienced in self defense firearm involved
situations on retainer is a wise investment if it can be afforded.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Call your Lawyer.
Sue the BG for damages, costs of ammo, wear and tear on the gun, stress, damage to your well-being, repair costs for bullet holes in your walls...
They'll sure as hell try to sue you...Even if it was "justified" and you get no charges against you...

In this case, "shoot first" with the lawyer...

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
Well written article. I have always supposed Arizona as a more gun friendly state than Texas, although Texas does allow for use of deadly force to protect property and apparently from the article, Arizona doesn't. Another point of Texas law being more gun friendly, Arizona does not allow commercial truck drivers to be armed with a firearm, even though the state they feel they need to be armed in and are traveling across Arizona to get to, California, does allow them to be armed.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
The advice to call 911, provide minimal information, then hang up does not sound advisable to me and conflicts with other advice. My experience in military operations and the other advice I've seen on self-defense situations indicate you want an open and continuous flow of situation intelligence to "friendlies" coming your way with guns...right up to the point you say, "I see the squad cars pulling up now. Tell them I'm the guy wearing a red jacket with no gun in my hands."

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
From the original cited article:

"In a dispute over the facts, most, if not all, prosecutors will afford the least credibility to the defendant. Remember, it is the defendant in a criminal case who usually has the most to lose and therefore the most invested in a particular version of events. As I stated previously, the person with the shiny badge is usually afforded the most credibility by the prosecutor and the jury. The “victim” of the alleged crime is usually the next most credible to these people."

The victim is more credible than the defendant.
LOL! I see the truth in it!
Which is great if I'm the victim, not so great if it's me applying lethal force to stop someone else from imminent threat.

Reactions: FreeInAZ

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
The advice to call 911, provide minimal information, then hang up does not sound advisable to me and conflicts with other advice. My experience in military operations and the other advice I've seen on self-defense situations indicate you want an open and continuous flow of situation intelligence to "friendlies" coming your way with guns...right up to the point you say, "I see the squad cars pulling up now. Tell them I'm the guy wearing a red jacket with no gun in my hands."
I have seen multiple sources now say that if the bad guy is down you SHOULD call 911 FIRST, but don't stay on the phone with them. They will pump you for information before you're mirandized and it will be used against you in court. It is VERY common for the cops to play the 911 call in court, and even on TV before you've even gone to court. The best thing to say is, "Hello my name is ________. I live at _________. I have been the victim of a crime. Please send an ambulance and a squad car as soon as possible." Do NOT say, "Hello. I had to shoot someone and I think he's dead." The only statement you want recorded from you before you talk to a lawyer is "I've been the victim of a crime." They can play that in court and on TV all day long.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts