Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Back in February of 2019, I was burglarized by my neighbor, who happens to be Hispanic. He is now in jail for other crimes, but the police bungled the investigation of my burglary so badly, that he has not been charged with that crime. Essentially, he, and his accomplices (this was not done by one person alone) cleaned me out, including all of my guns with the exception of my S&W SD9VE, Taurus PT111G2 and a S&W 422.

The SD9VE was my carry gun and on me when the burglary happened. The other 2, I believe were left because something scared them away before they could take everything. Although they did take almost everything!

I was only gone for a little less than 2 hours, so the perps knew I was gone and had a lookout. There is no question that this was done by my neighbors who live right next door and have been a problem ever since I bought this house in 2017. Although the main culprit is in jail for other crimes, the same bunch of slime are still living next door to me.

Without going into all of the details, I will tell you that since I know my next door neighbor(s) is/are responsible for this (he has said things to me that make me certain of it) I have been unwilling to leave my home for more than very short trips to the grocery store, etc. I have lost friends and had family disown me because I won't get out to visit them. The police are useless. It took 45 minutes for an officer to arrive after I called 911 and she didn't even call in the crime scene unit. It was not until 3 days later that a "detective" arrived to investigate and take fingerprints.

I am not anti-police. Far from it, but in this case, I lost all respect for the police in my city and even more fully understand than I did before the old saw: "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!"

Well, that's my story. Nearly everything of value was stolen in less than 2 hours. I believe something, either me coming home or something else before I got home scared them away or they WOULD have completely gutted my home.

I got a call from the "detective" on the case about 2 weeks after his visit 3 days after the burglary. All he had to say was "Well, we followed all leads and came up with nothing." And then he hung up.

Sorry for the formatting of this post. I can't seem to figure out how to do it correctly on this forum... sigh

·
Super Moderator
19,635 Posts
Couple of comments and questions. Did you have photos and serial numbers of the guns stolen? May not sound like much but my dad had 5-6 hunting rifles stolen from his cabin on the River close to 25 years ago. He turned in photos and a list of serial numbers. A month later, the Sheriff dept called him to tell him they had broken a gun theft ring operating along the River banks where his cabin is located. He got all his guns returned promptly. A family camera had also been taken and when the film was developed there were pix of the thieves posing with his guns . . .

I live within the city limits but am as much of a hermit as I like to be. I spent my whole life around crowds of people which evolved to being available anytime others wanted me and distance and privacy became most cherished to me. Now, just about every neighbor we have knows I'm into guns despite the fact they not be. But we run a tight POA and I've served as president of this several times. I've made sure we have become cohesive enough to run a neighborhood watch. Not formally but anytime an unfamiliar car ends up hanging out around any house in our neighborhood that person and their immediate neighbors get a call. We have someone designated with a full POA distribution email list which is sent to everyone immediately with alerts anytime we get police notice to be on the lookout. Also, all deaths, robberies, house fires, storm damage to anyone in our 'hood or a nearby subdivisions trigger these general alerts. And, last, when we moved here we all had kids. Now the kids are all grown up and out of the 'hood leaving only us old folk "Geriatric Park". And there is only one way into out subdivision and it's the only way back out. We don't get a lot of teens or hell raisers just cruising through and there are always someone awake with eyes on the 'hood. And I trust everyone who lives down here because whereas most of the kids have left, there has been very little turnover in the parents who remain.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Couple of comments and questions. Did you have photos and serial numbers of the guns stolen? May not sound like much but my dad had 5-6 hunting rifles stolen from his cabin on the River close to 25 years ago. He turned in photos and a list of serial numbers. A month later, the Sheriff dept called him to tell him they had broken a gun theft ring operating along the River banks where his cabin is located. He got all his guns returned promptly. A family camera had also been taken and when the film was developed there were pix of the thieves posing with his guns . . .

I live within the city limits but am as much of a hermit as I like to be. I spent my whole life around crowds of people which evolved to being available anytime others wanted me and distance and privacy became most cherished to me. Now, just about every neighbor we have knows I'm into guns despite the fact they not be. But we run a tight POA and I've served as president of this several times. I've made sure we have become cohesive enough to run a neighborhood watch. Not formally but anytime an unfamiliar car ends up hanging out around any house in our neighborhood that person and their immediate neighbors get a call. We have someone designated with a full POA distribution email list which is sent to everyone immediately with alerts anytime we get police notice to be on the lookout. Also, all deaths, robberies, house fires, storm damage to anyone in our 'hood or a nearby subdivisions trigger these general alerts. And, last, when we moved here we all had kids. Now the kids are all grown up and out of the 'hood leaving only us old folk "Geriatric Park". And there is only one way into out subdivision and it's the only way back out. We don't get a lot of teens or hell raisers just cruising through and there are always someone awake with eyes on the 'hood. And I trust everyone who lives down here because whereas most of the kids have left, there has been very little turnover in the parents who remain.

I had the serial numbers for all of MY guns, but was only able to get the serial number for one of my Dad's guns. My fault, I should have done that long ago, but it is something many people, including myself, either forget to do or just "don't think it will happen to me". I think I fell into both categories having lived in an apartment for 20 years with nearly no problems with theft. Definitely no breaking/entering.

I wish the local police/sheriff's offices were that good here, but sadly they are not. The police chief recently declared that the city police would NOT work with ICE. Then the mayor piped up and said Decatur, Alabama will NOT "become" a sanctuary city. That's a joke! Decatur has been a sanctuary city for illegals for nearly 20 years! That should tell you all you need to know about the police chief, the mayor, city council and COC.

I had to look up POA. (chuckle) Well, I guess in my neighborhood, I AM the POA. I have some good neighbors, but nobody is as proactive as I am in looking out for my neighbors. Yes, even the ones who I am certain burglarized me.

Unfortunately, I did not do enough homework before I bought this house to know that most of my neighboring houses are rentals and they are slowly but surely turning into HUD/Section 8 housing. If you know anything about that, then you know my neighborhood is in a steep decline. Yet, I paid too much for my house and can't afford to sell... and that will only get worse, but I have no options. I am stuck.

I won't say that I envy you, but I will say that I wish I had done my homework better before I jumped into this house.

Thanks for the reply!

·
Super Moderator
40,396 Posts
Welcome back. Sorry to here of the theft. Sucks that you kind of have become a prisoner in your own home.

Personally I would be looking into buying high quality security cameras that will alert to my phone when triggered.

Good reminder to all of us to record serial numbers of our guns if have not already done so. Think I will take some time and verify all mine are recorded. Pictures are also a good idea.

Reactions: pegasus

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
Man, it sounds like you need some good security cameras and a security system that will alert you when your house perimeter has been breached. Otherwise, you may wake up with a gun in your face one morning. It would also let you get out to the store more often. I hope the situation gets better soon.

Reactions: pegasus

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Very sorry for your bad experience. A good cautionary tale for others with regards to recording all firearm serial numbers and locking up guns. Did you have a safe? Safes can be expensive, but even a locking "security cabinet" can be a big deterrence to those thieves who merely want to walk in and walk out. They are fairly easily compromised, but compromising them usually makes a lot of noise, which is another kind of deterrence.

Don't give up hope. You might get your items back. But definitely, don't take the law into your own hands. Best wishes.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
In addition to the great suggestions above, I would recommend firearms specific insurance of some type. My homeowners policy doesn't cover much in the way of what my firearms used to be worth when I had a collection. (before the boating accident :rolleyes: ) I know the NRA has or used to have a certain amount of firearms insurance, and you could buy extra, but when I checked I found I could get my guns insured for less money by gong through a different company than what NRA uses, if you need more than the amt. included in a membership. I won't mention the company here because I don't want to violate some forum rule but you can easily find it and perhaps other companies as well if you do an online search.

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
Sad that you have to live like that. I have all of the serial number recorded and all the guns are kept in safes except the one I am wearing. The extra insurance for the guns is not a bad idea either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts