Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have been looking on some forums for a used gun, a hobby of mine, looking that is, and what I read got me thinking.

I read posts that state that the gun was their CCW and has 0 - 50 rounds through it or that they have carried it for X years and there is less than 100 rounds use. I also have a friend that practices with a full sized gun in 9mm because it has less recoil and the mag holds more ammo so he doesn't have to reload so often. He carries a .40.

Not setting myself up as an example but:

My first carry gun was a 1911 and I was taught that it had to have a minimum of 300 rounds to break it in. I always shoot a minimum of 300 rounds through anything I intend to carry, and if it malfunctions, more. I also tell my students that they should never carry a gun that they aren't sure will work. I do this for anything that will be used for SD on my person or night stand regardless of the manufacturer. Why on earth would someone trust their life to something untested.

Second, how could you possibly be ready to defend yourself when the bad things happen if you don't train or practice with what you carry. Even if you have multiples of the same model, that doesn't mean that they will function or aim the same.

Long and short of it, Train and Practice with the gun and ammo you carry.

How much do you train with the gun you carry?
How much do you practice with your carry gun?

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I don't carry as of yet but I shoot about 250-600 rounds per year.

Some things are in the works to ammend this though.

Can't say I'd trust a gun I ain't shot at least 100-250 times.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I may be going to the range to shoot something else primarily, but I will put at least a couple of mags through my primary carry gun. It is like the people that only shoot their gun when they go to re-qualify for for their CCW.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
To answer your first question I have no idea why someone wouldn't want to practice with the gun they carry. My answer to your second and third question is as often as I can which for me is one a month. When I go I bring at least 100 rounds for every gun that is going to be shot that day.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I don't know why more folks don't shoot more it is great fun to shoot Zombie Targets out at the range or Bowling Pins out in the back 40.

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
There are some folks that got a carry gun without really thinking it through, find out it takes a bit of work to carry, and so they leave the gun on the dresser for a year and then sell it. Others just flat lie about the amount of ammo through the gun, too. I get familiar with my carry gun before I start carrying it. That's somewhere between 500 and 2000 rounds depending on the gun. I then shoot my carry a couple times a year just to maintain a familiarly with it's shooting characteristics. My CCW guns are not target pistols and as such most of the training with them involves very close quarters training. A couple hundred rounds a year is really all that is required to keep that process up to speed.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
I always run my carry weapon at the range, no matter what I have the desire to shoot that day. If I'm light on ammo, I shoot what's available. But if I have it, I need to shoot 50-100 rounds through my carry weapon. If you don't shoot it, how do you know what to expect when you actually need to shoot it?

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Let me first say that I'll carry a particular pistol when I feel confident it will work and that it shoots to my POA. That may be 300 or more rounds, or it may just be a magazine or two, it really depends on the pistol and how confident I feel with it. Now, with my primary CCW on any trip to the range, I usually fire it first with the ammo that I've been carrying and then maybe a mag or two of FMJ, just to confirm that it is working and continues to hit where I aim.

Having said that, I also carry a knife, even though I have never had any formal training (if you don't count first hand experience on the other side of the blade) and don't practice its use, it just gives me piece of mind. I think a lot of people feel the same way about their CCW. Then there are those who carry a powerful handgun, that is punishing to fire. I have a friend who carries a .44 Magnum in a lightweight 2" snubbie when he goes fly fishing. He had a grizzly track him once and he barely escaped, so he always carries it fishing now, but after the pain it inflicted on him when he fired just a single cylinder of ammo, he says he'll only fire it again if he truly believes his life is in danger. But he always carries it with him fishing.

·
Registered
13,870 Posts
In the past I would have a number of guns that I had never fired. However these were not pieces that I carried. What ever I choose to carry I am very familar with and comfortable in both it's ability as well as mine.
Now for a twist, when ever I have had to qualify for my CCW I would use my Glock 17, yet never used it as a CCW. I liked the way it fired, the bright night sights were of help on the range (some areas of the range were kind of dark). The 9mm was always quick to aquire the target do to little recoil. But as a CCW it was a little on the large size and I prefer am manual safety with my CCW choice.
As of today I have only three firearms I haven't fired, yesterday that count was at five, I am getting caught up and will soon have experience with all of them.
But as my personal standard I will not carry a weapon that I don't know I can count on for delivering safe personal protection for when the need may arise.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I generally go out to the backyard and shoot a box or so once a month WITH THE GUN I CARRY.

Another bit of things that I do is

1) practice with the same grain of bullet you will carry. I carry .40 180 grain. I practice with 180 grain. I won't buy anything else.
If you jump around 155 to 165 to 180 then back to 155 and you got a recipie for trouble.

2) I do excercises such as turn my back to the target and put the gun on a platform beside me, raise my hands...I will grab the weapon, turn around, acquire the target and shoot...and variations of that...

I also practice drawing the weapon from my CC holster and shooting.

Couple mags doing each excercise once or twice a month---or more often if I get bored or just feel like shooting.

Sometimes I come up with other excercises too such as walking and shooting at the same time. Try it. Walking into a target and get three rounds on target. Walking back and get three rounds on target. Then go side to side.....

Just shooting for shooting is one thing.... but coming up with various excercises.... (multiple targets etc etc)

I don't do them all at each outing. I might just shoot one box of 50 rounds for a particular excercise then leave it at that. I rarely shoot more than 100 rounds in one outing. Then again my gun 'range' is anywhere from 50 feet from the back door (don't like to scare the house dogs though) so I go back a couple hundred yards from the backdoor....

Just mix it up a bit.

Ideally you would want to practice with your carry rounds, but that will get expensive as hell. But there is a difference between lead, plated, and FMJ bullets even in the same grain. Its not always possible but try to be consistent with the variables.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I generally go out to the backyard and shoot a box or so once a month WITH THE GUN I CARRY.

Ideally you would want to practice with your carry rounds, but that will get expensive as hell. But there is a difference between lead, plated, and FMJ bullets even in the same grain. Its not always possible but try to be consistent with the variables.
Words to live by for those who carry.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I do my best to shoot at least twice a month. I have several carry guns, and shoot at least one of them at each range trip. I won't carry a gun that I'm totally comfortable with.

·
Administrator
39,471 Posts
I shoot a minimum of a full load in my carry gun, every time I go to the range. Otherwise, how the hell you gonna know it's still functional? Did so today, and fired more than the minimum. Yep, it's still functional! :thumb:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Practice with what you carry. You need to be totally familiar with your carry weapon for when the time comes that you really need your gun, it must be second nature to you. No fumbling for safeties, no guessing if it will fire, know for sure that it will fire the ammo you have in it. I don't care if you have ball ammo, as long as it works it's much better than the explosive hollow point that hangs up on the feed ramp every second round. Practice malfunctions until they are second nature. Hopefully you won't have a malfunction, but Murphy lives just around the corner... . If you don't have money to burn, dry practice. 10 minutes a day, or every other day. Practice drawing and acquiring your target/sight picture. Practice trigger control (squeeze/press), practice malfunctions with dummy ammo. Practice, practice, practice, then verify with live ammo when you can. The more confidence you have in your weapon and your ability to use it, the more likely you won't have to use it. If you don't have to use your weapon, then you've just won.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I have two carry pistols, one for summer and one for winter or both for winter. I have run 1k through both to make sure they are reliable. I try, I said "try" to get to the range once a month but work sometime prohibits that, not worried since I've been shooting for forty years. I dismantle my carry gun once a week and inspect, wipe it down and re-assemble. This is my regimine.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
A corollary to the "low round count" guy is the guy who carries "occasionally".
My opinion: If you feel you have an occasional need for a concealed weapon (and you have the permit) how do you predict the occasion in these days of random violence?
Putting on your OWB or IWB, shoulder holster or sticking a gun in your pocket, should be as natural as putting on your shoes or checking to see whether you have your car keys.

Further, once you choose a method of carry, make sure you also have a method of presenting the gun quickly - without fumbling, without snagging it on clothing or having to shift it to the other hand. And if you can't present it quickly and cleanly, explore other carry options until you can.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I would feel quite confident with a low round count revolver. Them critters pretty much just always work. I do run a mag or two thru my carry pieces on range trips. Lots of reasons for used guns to show up for sale that have barely been fired, same as every end of riding season hundreds and hundreds of motorcycles are up for sale across the country with VERY low mileage. People buy toys, find out they really don't like them and sell them. Which is GREAT for those of us who then can snap up a bargain.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Wouldn't trust it unless it's proven.

I dry practice at home with dummy rounds every few days for trigger control and draw, plus my wife and I run what if scenarios. She has my back and I trust her with my life if the SHTF. When I go to the range no matter what I shoot that day I aways shoot my EDC last so my final muscle memory is with it and not of what else I was shooting. My new but not new EDC I've had since May and have put between 12-13 hundred rounds through it and a couple hundred of that is my premium defense ammo usually about a mag full each trip so I keep fresh newer ammo loaded while carrying. I know ammo unless it's very old will go bang and even if it's very old it will go bang most of the time but I prefer it this way I'm just funny that way. When the life of someone I love or my self is on the line I want to eliminate as many possible problems as I can yet I still practice malfunction clearing and or acquiring my second carry and getting it on target. I find that drawing my second is faster and less likely to have equipment issues under stress because malfunction clearing sometimes can take up to 5-6 seconds I can draw and fire my second in about 1.5 - 2 seconds and when your life is at stake that extra 3-4 seconds can count as a lifetime.

Now I understand most people don't like to carry two guns for obvious reasons. One is enough to worry about and heft around all day so that's when practice, practice, practice comes in, to cut malfunction clearing time down to the minimum. I know a lot of people think that's why I want to trust my gun and if it ever malfunctions I can't carry it. Well machines such as guns plus the ammo we use aren't perfect and no matter what you own can malfunction and it's best to be prepared if it does God for bid. I think if someone who has bought a gun fired it thousands of times without a hitch can trust it however with it never having an issue they may not take malfunction clearing seriously because of this. Problem being the old saying everything and anything that can go wrong will at the wrong time and at that point it's no time to be figuring out what the heck is wrong with this thing but to instinctively go for the back up or if you don't have one do your malfunction clearing procedures without having to think about it. In the heat of the moment is the wrong time to learn how to clear a jam or misfeed or stove pipe or well the list can go on.

Why carry if you are not going to take it serious? It's not a game when someone is determined to take your life or that of someone you love.
Those that don't practice are carrying a false sense of security. Have you even watched a movie where a person has a gun and is scared grabs the gun closes there eyes points and shoots until the gun is empty then slowly opens one eye to see they shot everything but what they were wanting to? Well without practice most are as likely under pressure to do as good as this person.

I try to go to the range or other twice a month but when I can't go twice I go at least once a month to keep my sanity.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
In my case if I carry a gun daily I shot it weekly. My two carry pieces a have had more that 3000 rounds down range in less than a year. When they stop functioning they get replaced with another. If my life depends on it, I had better know what it will do every time I use it regardless.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I only have three handguns and or three guns total. I shoot the living crap out of my guns. The only caveat when I buy a gun is it has to be reliable and durable, I am not a polisher. I shoot my guns atleast twice a month. 200-300 rounds per range session. Mostly static shooting since I don't compete (yet). I wear my guns at home. I go to bed with them next to me. I draw and dry fire them just about every night. They are like my tools at work "just another appendage". The first thing I do when I get a new gun is get a holster and wear it like I would carry it until I forget it's there (not really forget ...but you know what I mean).

1 - 20 of 56 Posts