Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you have mentioned the PT1911 review in the November American Handgunner. Buried in that is an interesting statement. Bob Morrison, President of Taurus USA is a former VP of Colt. That would explain (1) why Taurus is venturing into building a 1911, and (2) why Taurus seems to really know how to build one that has the best of the features that people want.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Makes sense since 1911's are more popular then ever again, Thanks to the little thing going on in the middle east.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I read that springfield is manufacturing thier GI models in Brazil. I wonder who is doing their work? ;)

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I recall that Springfield has been doing that with most/all of their 1911's for many years. I haven't heard who down there though.

Steelheart

·
Registered
25 Posts
All Springfield's start their life at IMBEL in Brazil. The rest depends on the line and the serial number......

GI - 100% made in Brazil. They come in ready to ship. GI pistols have a WW serial number.

Mil Spec - All use Brazilian forgings. Some are complete when imported, some need finish machining and assembly. Guns under 80% complete when imported will have a serial number that starts with "NM". Guns more than 80% complete will have a serial number that starts with "N" alone.

Loaded - Same as above.

TRP - Brazilian forgings. Final machining, assembling, and fitting done in America. They should always have an NM serial number.

Operators - See TRP specifications.

Professional Models - Start from a blank Brazilian forging (a solid block of steel forged in the shape of a frame). They use more American parts, and every last bit if machining, fitting, and assembling is done in Springfield's custom shop. All Pro's have a GRG serial number.

Lightweight pistols have a different serial number regardless of where they're made. The only way to tell on them is by looking for a "Brazil" stamp on the dust cover or under the grips. The only Lightweights that are technically "NM" guns are the Operators.

From what I have seen with my own eyes, the NM guns finished by Springfield do have a better fit and finish to them than the Brazilian guns.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Then there are the exports. Most of IMBEL’s pistols, around 60 percent, are exported to countries like the United States, Venezuela and Uruguay. “All our products are designed from our factory for optimum price and quality,” asserts Ubirajara. “Our greatest market is in exporting pistols to the United States through distributors like Springfield. We work on increasing productivity and production without increasing price.” Ubirajara credits IMBEL’s strong partnerships with Brazilian metallurgical giants Alcan and Alcoa for the company’s cost-benefit ratio, along with its innovative ways of working with the materials, including modern forging methods.

http://www.usitoday.com/article_printview.asp?Articleid=2157
Oh boy! After reading that I thought about some other boards I participate on where the SA "cheer leaders" went on and on about how SA is made in America and doesn't use MIM. Ooops! LOL!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts