Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will happily concede that all things being equal, 45acp is a better round than the 9millie. However, a quality 9mm hollow point can narrow the performance edge. For me since 45acp runs 50%+ more per box of 50, I can practice far more with 9mm and increase overall proficiency. So when the bullets fly, so to speak, I like to think I'm FAR more likely to be on target with a 9mm. What say you?

CSTripp

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I do not have the 45 acp, but I do like my 9mm for cost to practice.
Even the 45 colt, which I do have, runs $20+ per box to as high as $35/37 for normal stuff. I do not even look at the high dollar ones, as they are out of my price range, even if they are twice as effective.
I am just about down to 22LR for practice if it keeps up.

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
I can get 45 acp ammo for about $15 per 50. 9mm is about $12 per 50, normally. Price is too close to just say "it's way more expensive to shoot a 45".

Personally, I just like punching a big, fat hole into the target.

·
Super Moderator
21,796 Posts
I'm compleatly satisfied with both cal. and shoot my 9mm more then my 45. I just happen to be a 1911 fan. I know there are better or newer versions of the 45 but its just a history thing with me. It amazes me that an almost 100 year old gun has so many brands and is used by Swat and FBI HRT teams today. But like Robby I broke out my .22's the other day and had a gas and my hands didn't hurt. I have Rheumatoid arthritis and pay a big price shooting my 45 all day. :(

·
22,058 Posts
Shoot both and like shooting both. 9mm is a little cheaper to reload.

·
Super Moderator
35,439 Posts
9mm holds a little less powder and the bullet takes a little less lead, but I get my lead for free anyway, so essentially, they cost me about the same to shoot. I own and shoot both. I like 9 for carry, more compact and concealable, but .45 is more fun to shoot and has more accuracy, or at least mine does.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
I've always found the .45 ACP to be asier to shoot than a 9mm. Believe it or not, the .45 ACP tends to "push", rather than the "snap" feeling that a 9mm delivers. This is due to the usually smaller platform that 9mm pistols are fond of.

For concealed carry, the 9mm can be found in some tiny packages. I'm a big boy, though, so I can conceal a Commander just fine. If you're going to go in harms way, go with whatever you can control, and trust. I just like to shoot the biggest hole-maker that I can in case of a gun-fight. ;D

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
prefer 9mm over all other handgun calibers for SD.

hi capacity.
less recoil for follow ups.
cheaper
has a larger variantly of ammo.
with modern JHP's can get excellent expansion & penetration out of a 9mm and is quite sufficient for SD imo.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I have a couple of pistols in both 9mm and .45ACP :cool: Also relaod for both. .45 cases are bigger so I guess they are easier to relaod...

Both are fun to shoot, but I guess if I had to pick one I'd pick 9mm. Ammo is cheaper, higher capacity, and packs a good punch for its size. Not to mention that it has been around longer than .45!

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have both of the calibers, and i prefer the 45. For me, the 45 is more accurate and easily controlled. I enjoy shooting the 9, but it is a sub compact and my accuracy with it is marginal at best. And plus, i like lookin at those big ol' 45 swc holes.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I used the 45acp in a 1911 in combat and it saved my backside a time or two. Just like big bullets and the stopping power it as. I reload for it and also for my 38spl and 357. I carry a 1911 or a Rossi 462 now. Never had a 45acp let me down.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Back when I reloaded, I didn't think much of 9mm. My fingers were too stubby to comfortably load the cases into the shellholder. I always chose .45acp as my auto of choice. Now, here in Ohio, I can get 9mm for ~$10/50, and .45 for ~$18/50. That is enough difference for me to shoot many more 9mm for my buck. Also, with the hi-cap mags and the improved technology, I feel very comfortable carrying a 9mm for SD. As for accuracy, I see no discernible difference between the two.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Interesting question, CSTripp. I prefer to practice with what I carry, which is a PT-145. I have a 9mm Glock, but I haven't shot it since getting qualified with it for CCW. I carry a .45 because it has a proven track record. But, I would not feel under-gunned with a 9mm.

BTW, what's with the Esquire magazine cover for your avatar? You know the model?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Shoot both, but since I prefer 1911's I stick with .45's. I wouldn't feel under gunned with a 9mm though and if it were for tactical or police use, I'd either go with a hi cap 9mm or an XD in .45. If I were to go with 9mm as my primary carry, I'd go back to CZ's. Even the alloy framed PO1 was really light in the perceived recoil department and accurate as all get out.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I shoot both. I do shoot a lot more 9mm and .40s than .45s. Not because of price but because I carry my 9 and .40 not my .45.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I prefer .45 acp, preferring a bigger, heavier bullet, but your reasoning is sound. Nine millimeter ammo has greatly improved in the past couple of years, getting much better performance.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I shoot both, more 9mm at the range then the .45. But there is something about the .45 that's hard to explain. You have the history as THE military sidearm for quite a long time. If it's good enough for them........ The recoil on most .45's have a greater recoil then the 9mm. Manly yes,but I like it too! And if you ever have to look down a barrel that big O is much scarier. Just look at the size of the bullets. Side by side you just KNOW ones got to hurt more.

Both are deadly,but maybe the 45 is so just a little bit more. :D

·
Administrator
40,363 Posts
I own and shoot both regularly. No bones about carrying either one. I carry a .45 though, because I just like it. :thumb:

·
Registered
147 Posts
CSTripp said:
I will happily concede that all things being equal, 45acp is a better round than the 9millie. However, a quality 9mm hollow point can narrow the performance edge. For me since 45acp runs 50%+ more per box of 50, I can practice far more with 9mm and increase overall proficiency. So when the bullets fly, so to speak, I like to think I'm FAR more likely to be on target with a 9mm. What say you?

CSTripp
And i will concede that the 9mm is a lot cheaper to shoot. I have overcome that problem fairly well however by reloading my own stuff for target practice though i carry only factory premium rounds for concealed carry.

Now as to why i carry a 45, it's simple. If i am going to be in a fight i want the biggest round i can get. Though a good 9mm hollow point is going to do a good job, it simply is not going to do a better job than a good 45 hollow point will. I like big ragged holes, they bleed better.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts