Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to get a general idea why you all reload? To save money, consistency, fun? I am thinking of doing it to save money. I shoot about 3000 rds a year through my handguns and I think I could save money. I also own a few rifles that I would like to reload for too.

·
Administrator
18,413 Posts
Save Money? Nope. Because you will tend to shoot more! But you will get more bang for your buck. Also, you will not be at the mercy of local ammunition retailers and their sale prices, or lack thereof. Also, it's a fun side hobby!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Better quality ammunition tailored to your specific needs. I agree with jwc007, I don't save any money but my cost per round is indeed quite a bit lower. Beside these benefits, just think of all the other cool gizmos and tools you can purchase. You will also get to know your postman and UPS driver on a more personal basis. They just love to carry the flat rate boxes full of bullets.

·
Super Moderator
35,535 Posts
All of the above and consistent availability of my chosen ammo.

·
Administrator
40,568 Posts
Well, I started out to save money, and this was in 1975. But I enjoy doin' it, almost as much as actually shootin'. So now it's for the enjoyment mostly. :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Where the savings really get large is in the big bore revolver cartridges, specifically 44 Special, 44 Magnum and 45 Colt. I was in a shop the other day and Winchester 45 Colt cowboy loads were $30 for 50, for lead bullets, no less! Unbelievable. You'd think for $30 you could at least get a Hornady XTP bullet and a mid-range load, not some plinking round! I can make 45 Colt lead bullet target rounds for $9.50/50. You'd go broke otherwise paying these factory prices. I am just now acquiring 50 BMG equipment for the same reason. Should be able to make rounds for 1/2 of what retail is. There's just no other way to enjoy the hobby with retail prices what they are today.

·
Super Moderator
35,535 Posts
I can make 45 Colt lead bullet target rounds for $9.50/50.
I cast a very accurate 255 grain flat point from range scrap lead. All I pay for is primer and 8.3 grains of Unique. Under 2 dollars a box of 50. Of course, brass has to be bought occasionally. I was recently given about 300 rounds of cowboy loads from a guy that shot cowboy stuff and didn't reload. He quit because of the expense of ammo. I never talked him into reloaded, he just didn't seem to wanna mess with it. Well, one box of that stuff had the price tag on it, 25 dollars. OUCH! Load it with a light charge of Unique and you can reload brass for nearly ever.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is the "standard" number times you should reload? I've heard 3 is the majic number but what do you all do?

·
Administrator
40,568 Posts
I don't use a standard number of times I reuse brass. Just examine it for cracks, splits or other damage. If it looks ok, reuse it again. I know a lot of my brass has far many more reloadings than three. :angel:

·
Administrator
18,413 Posts
paulrabe78 said:
What is the "standard" number times you should reload? I've heard 3 is the majic number but what do you all do?
Different loads put either little (light/low pressure loads) or a lot (Maximum Pressure Loadings) of stress on brass, so it's condition that should be your guide. I've loaded .45 ACP brass with light Target Loads 12 times or more. Done the same with 9mm brass. Some near maximum pressure loaded .223/5.56mm brass was only loaded 5 times. Also, some brands of brass are thicker and will last longer for more reloads. Remington Rifle Brass in particular, is thicker and longer lasting.

·
22,058 Posts
Different loads put either little (light/low pressure loads) or a lot (Maximum Pressure Loadings) of stress on brass, so it's condition that should be your guide. I've loaded .45 ACP brass with light Target Loads 12 times or more.
I agree jwc007. I also load light competition rounds in 9 40 and 45 so we get more cycles out of our brass. A good inspection routine is needed to find cracks and deformaties in used
brass.

·
Super Moderator
35,535 Posts
Reloading rifles on the edge, usually, he primer pocket will stretch before the rest of the brass is wasted, so it has to be tossed. I don't shoot such hot loads much, though, ad really, the only rifle I push that hard is my .257 Roberts. I'm pushing a 100 grain Sierra Game King to 3150 in that gun from a 24 inch barrel. It'll kill anything a .25-06 will, but it's pushing pressure limits for the Winchester +P brass I've used for that load.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Just started to reload myself. First of all, it's a real education into the finer points of shooting. When you buy ammo off the shelf do you really consider the powder weight, primer type, chamber preasure or fps?? I sure didn't but sure think of it now. Like others, I started to reload to save a few dollars. With a furnace, tumbler, single stage reloader, free lead and free recycled brass, I can put together 38 specials or .357's for about 4 cents a round....about the same as a good 22lr round. Now that I've been cranking out the home growns, I've discovered that it's just plan FUN!! I can't shoot everyday but I can spend a few hours every night learning a new hobby that actually pays for itself.

·
Premium Member
11,265 Posts
The initial investment is pretty high, but after a couple of thousand rounds (various calibers) it more than pays for itself. When you can load'em yourself, you will shoot more. The only time I buy ammo now is when I go to an indoor range to requalify for my CCW license.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I reloaded several years ago and I plan on starting again. The savings on the larger pistol calibers(40,45, etc) really make it worthwhile. I've done the math on 9mm. If you buy 5000 primers, 4lbs of powder, and 1000 or 2000 bullets, it comes to about $6.04/box of 50 versus $9.40/box of 50 i just paid for 1000 rounds of CCI blazer 115g fmj. The savings here comes since you only pay the hazmat fee one time($20-$25). Thats 35% less & isn't completely accurate since the reloads are brass & CCI is aluminum. So basically 3 boxes for the price of 2. If you buy the powder and primers in roughly 1000 round increments, you pay the hazmat each time and that cuts the savings down.

I'll pick up most of the equipment used which I hope to have the savings on ammo = to break even on the equipment in 2900 rounds.

Not to mention there is minimal price differential reloading the various bullet weights. Different weight factory ammo can vary widely in price.

Good luck & I hope this helps.

CSTripp

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I reload because it makes me feel manly :p oh and I can shoot a lot more for the same amount of $.

I've loaded .44mag brass as much as 10 times they still looked OK...

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I must admit, I haven't reloaded in years... however, my daughter is going to college in 2 months and her bedroom is going to be my new room... I can't wait.

·
Super Moderator
35,535 Posts
Well, mine went to college, I took over her room with the intent to put my reloading stuff back there (same idea :D) and she wound up coming home to finish out at a local school here. She graduated LAST spring and he's still here! [email protected]_!&&%#!!!!!!! My reloading is low volume until I get her OUT of here. GOD, somebody HIRE her!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts