Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is public service announcement #1.
This article is from Portland so I assume the rats names are Buffy and Alastair.
Personally I love my F-150 and my wife's 6000 pound Expedition.
No D cells in those puppies......................:p

Why rats are chewing up hybrid cars | KGW.com

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
HAR! Eco friendly has a down side!!

From the article: One reader suggested using rodent-deterrent tape treated with super-spicy powder. Another post commented that coyote urine spray on the vehicle will help repel rats.Mary Rait said she parks her Toyota Prius elsewhere, just in case the rats come back for a second helping.
We don’t park the car in our driveway anymore. We just leave it on the street because maybe there’s less possibility of a rodent coming back.”

- yeah, ever wrap every inch of a modern wiring harness with tape - LOL
- coyote urine spray — say no more
- AND on a final note: parking in the street is better than the driveway??? Right, rats don’t walk in the street, that would be dangerous!!

Ya shoulda had a V8!!!!
:D

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Had the same problem LONG ago with the old cloth wrapped wiring in classic cars. Rats would eat the cloth.
The only wiring that did not get consumed by rats was the plastic wrapped wiring.
Can not believe that they are using a soy based covering on wires in cars. Sounds like an answer to a question that was not asked.

·
Registered
16,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HAR! Eco friendly has a down side!!

From the article: One reader suggested using rodent-deterrent tape treated with super-spicy powder. Another post commented that coyote urine spray on the vehicle will help repel rats.Mary Rait said she parks her Toyota Prius elsewhere, just in case the rats come back for a second helping.
We don’t park the car in our driveway anymore. We just leave it on the street because maybe there’s less possibility of a rodent coming back.”

- yeah, ever wrap every inch of a modern wiring harness with tape - LOL
- coyote urine spray – say no more
- AND on a final note: parking in the street is better than the driveway??? Right, rats don’t walk in the street, that would be dangerous!!

Ya shoulda had a V8!!!!
:D
My wife and I have spent more time in Portland than we would like to admit.
Oregon's national rep for WRAP (whippet rescue and placement) lives there and we have become friends
over the past 20 years or so. She is who found our pooches for us.
Having said that, the logic in that article is very representative of Portland folks.
They make people from Seattle look normal.
They make me look like a genius............:D

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
My wife and I have spent more time in Portland than we would like to admit.
Oregon's national rep for WRAP (whippet rescue and placement) lives there and we have become friends
over the past 20 years or so. She is who found our pooches for us.
Having said that, the logic in that article is very representative of Portland folks.
They make people from Seattle look normal.
They make me look like a genius............:D
We KNOW you are a genius, Rickenbacher, a DEMENTED genius, but a genius, nonetheless!!!!

·
Registered
16,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We KNOW you are a genius, Rickenbacher, a DEMENTED genius, but a genius, nonetheless!!!!

That's not the way my doctor put it but I'll accept it as alternative diagnosis.

·
Super Moderator
34,947 Posts
Not just hybrids. They chewed up the wiring in my daughters late 80s Olds Cutlass.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Yeah mice wrecked A BMW 525I that I had. It had been sitting a while. It was an older model and it wasn't worth the 1K or more in repairs. I parted it out but I'll never forget the damage they can do.

Reactions: Rickenbacher39

·
21,937 Posts
Ya shoulda had a V8!!!! :D
Bite your tongue.

Pack rats chewed a wire in my V8 F150. $25 part, $1000 in labor.

I fight a pretty constant battle with them. The vehicles in the garage seem pretty well protected just by keeping the hoods open and the lights in the garage turn on at night. Before I did that, I once popped the hood and there, right on top of the air intake, sat a big old pack rat. We stared at each other for a second, and I was so startled he bolted before I could do anything. Of course, what was I going to do? Grab him with my bare hands, in a part of the country where plague is endemic? Empty a magazine into him, right on top of the engine block? Fortunately, staring at him like an idiot and then deciding to keep the hoods open and lights on seemed to do the trick.

Outdoors, I've used lights under the hood, rat traps and mouse traps under the hood, I've cleared the weeds and positioned the vehicles as far from ground cover as possible, when it's cold I open the hoods for a while after I get home so the engine cools and the warm, safe space won't be as warm and attractive... Fun!

And just who the heck things biodegradable insulation is a good idea? Talk about planned obsolescence! Those hybrid heaps are supposed to be about minimizing impact, but they are full of difficult or impossible to recycle materials. When that biodegrading starts and you get shorts everywhere, you just created thousands of pounds of hazardous waste. You'd be better off, impact-wise, buying a junker Jeep or Volvo and keeping it on the road. Flipping envirowackos.

·
Premium Member
10,960 Posts
I guess it would never occur to the people up there to buy mouse/rat traps.

·
Registered
18,481 Posts
:dunno: They wouldn't have to chew on the wires if people'd just leave 'em the keys...:unsure:...y'all just overcomplicate everything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Having lived in Portland, Oregon, I can say that there, this is definitely something they would worry about. If you ever get a chance to see the show "Portlandia" (a damn good send-up of Portlanders), this would be in one of the episodes...

·
Premium Member
12,512 Posts
When we had chickens, we had rats. No more chickens and no more rats. We do however have to keep an eye on our air filters for field mice nests. We have a lot of feral cats in the neighborhood and my Wife started feeding them a few years ago. About 7 come to eat everyday now and I haven't seen a field mouse, mole or a chipmunk in a few years.

·
Premium Member
12,512 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts