Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not like seen on TV where you hide behind the car door and it takes multiple hits and keeps you safe while you return fire.

Reactions: LongTermGuy

·
32,490 Posts
That was informative and already knew that might happen, but it was great to see things first hand.

One can argue weakly that there are other factors at work and they would be right. Not written in stone obviously at the same time there are a few exceptions to the bullets going through a car door.

Tractor over cabs might be a different story at times. The case of a LEO who emptied his .45 ACP into one in the side door that had a armed violent miscreant inside the vehicle. Not one bullet made it through the door. The LEO's partner had his .357 Sig pistol with him and emptied the .357 SIG pistol into the same door. All of the .357 SIG bullets penetrated the door and most of those hit the attacker inside as well. The bad guy was put out of the fight by the wounds suffered.

This is just one example only. There are a lot of what ifs and those don't matter in this case. They might in other cases. :)

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
A few phone books stuffed in the door will stop most handgun ammo.
Mythbusters.
The Build Team filled several car doors with phone books and fired various firearms at it. The phonebooks were able to stop 9mm, .357 magnum, and .45 caliber rounds. However, the more powerful deer slug shotgun rounds and the M14 rifle were able to pierce the door and the phonebooks easily. Since the phonebooks could not stop all of the bullets, the myth was declared busted. However, the Build Team continued the experiment to see how many phone books behind the door would be needed to stop a deer slug and rifle round and found that only two phonebooks were needed.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
It can be difficult to discern the difference in “cover” and “concealment” and fight or flight will only make it worse. But the bottom line remains something will always be better than nothing. The only real answer to this issue is better training that most people aren’t willing to undertake or pay for to learn.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Considering I don't use FMJ as carry ammo, it would be much more interesting and salient if JHP were used in the same demonstration.

·
Registered
31,743 Posts
The Door window regulator would deflect some bullets, in all likelihood about 80% of a door is not safe to hide behind. As far as concealment, your feet and legs will tell where to shoot. Overall, about the only good places to give shelter behind a car is the engine block and the wheels.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I did a brief stint at a local scrap yard were I had to move car / truck doors off of a trailer and align them up by pairs in another section of the yard.. Wost day of my life, some of those suckers are heavy! From this hands on experience I can say that some doors such as older 90's Cadillac's and anything off of the same era lumina, would probably stop a damn tank round. (not really guys.) I suppose in these situations penetration is everything. So the situation begs to question, what are you gonna use?

Reactions: Armedpatriot

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
It can be difficult to discern the difference in “cover” and “concealment” and fight or flight will only make it worse. But the bottom line remains something will always be better than nothing. The only real answer to this issue is better training that most people aren’t willing to undertake or pay for to learn.
I do believe you have addressed the whole issue rather well, Max. A car door will give decent concealment, but its use as cover is not that great -- especially if you are facing rifle fire. However, sometimes it is all that you have, and you just have to make do.......

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
So, are we all agreed it's time to strip off interior panels on our vehicles and stuff phone books inside? :cool:

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Yup.
Collecting 2" thick phonebooks now.
Please send more.
Sorry, the little town where I live, you'd need 200 phone books to equal in inch. Don't think there's even that many published here.:)

Reactions: Wolf1477

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
When I was a kid the place I learned to shoot had an old abandoned car dumped there. I spent many a summer's afternoon riddling that thing with all kinds of bullets, and it was an early fifties vintage car. Back when they were made out of real steel. Having seen what I did, if I had to use a car for cover I think there's only two parts I'd hide behind - the first is the motor, and the second is the accelerator pedal. Not necessarily in that order.

·
10,379 Posts
Sorry, the little town where I live, you'd need 200 phone books to equal in inch. Don't think there's even that many published here.:)
Right, same here. I doubt our phonebook would stop a pellet from an old CO2 Daisy air pistol.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Changed my mind.
One 2" phonebook is NFG for stopping 9mm. 124gr. PHP or JHP.
Test subject.

SN850388.JPG

5 rounds Berry's 124gr PHP at 10 yards.

SN850389.JPG

Another yellow pages. 5 rounds Hornady XTP 124gr. at 10 yards.

SN850390.JPG

Although maybe the steel in the door slows them down enough for the phonebook to stop them.
Not going to try that with my pickup, though.

·
10,379 Posts
Changed my mind.
One 2" phonebook is NFG for stopping 9mm. 124gr. PHP or JHP.
Test subject.

View attachment 25534

5 rounds Berry's 124gr PHP at 10 yards.

View attachment 25535

Another yellow pages. 5 rounds Hornady XTP 124gr. at 10 yards.

View attachment 25536

Although maybe the steel in the door slows them down enough for the phonebook to stop them.
Not going to try that with my pickup, though.

oh c'mon! Take one for the team, otherwise it's inconclusive, and therefore flawed, testing!<g> (hey, don't look at me, I ain't shooting my truck either)

I remember the mythbusters episode where they did a phonebook car...took something like 6 inches of phonebook to prevent the round from coming in...and by the time they'd armored the vehicle with phonebooks it'd barely roll it was so heavy.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
oh c'mon! Take one for the team, otherwise it's inconclusive, and therefore flawed, testing!<g> (hey, don't look at me, I ain't shooting my truck either)

I remember the mythbusters episode where they did a phonebook car...took something like 6 inches of phonebook to prevent the round from coming in...and by the time they'd armored the vehicle with phonebooks it'd barely roll it was so heavy.
And the .50 went right through all of it AND the engine block!

·
10,379 Posts
And the .50 went right through all of it AND the engine block!
Yeap, I remember that.

If I'm on the exit end of a .50...something has gone terribly, horribly, wrong with my day and I'm probably not gonna like the outcome anyways.<g>

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
HeHeHe!
Did I mention that a LEO stopped by awhile ago and asked about shooting in the area?
He asked if we heard any shooting in the woods across the street.
Don't recall if he said someone called it in or if he was just in the area and heard the shots.
May have an anti-gun neighbor around here somewhere?
Doesn't matter, no laws broken. Perfectly legal to shoot in my backyard.
Told him I was target practicing earlier with my .22 and 9mm. and I have a backstop and woods for 400 yards behind it.
He said to keep it safe, we shook hands and he left.

(P.S. I pretty much know he knew where to stop since he pulled in my driveway. Or maybe because it's the only one with vehicles in it? All the close neighbors are gone right now)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts