Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering about this since every revolver maker seems to make a .500 Smith and Wesson, I don't think the .50 ae is a a proprietary round for IMI, so why haven't the other pistol makers offered an auto loader for .50 AE? Oh I have seen single action custom jobs but as you can imagine they were a lttle spendy.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My guess is that the market is too small. It's too much power/penetration for self-defense and most of the handgun hunting crowd use a revolver for accuracy. Hence, they wouldn't expect enough return on investment. Sure, you may want one....there just are not enough 'of you' to warrant making it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I too think the market is just too small to warrant making it; but it would be cool even in limited numbers if more manufacturers jumped on it.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I think someone is/was making a semi-auto carbine in 50AE. No idea who or what action it's on though.

Steelheart

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well they had a conversion for the AR-15 out but the trouble is getting the magazines to feed right on it, which is why they invented the .50 beowolf. I haven't seen the uppers advertized awhile.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Thats probably what I'm vaguely remembering.

Steelheart

·
Registered
539 Posts
As of a few months ago impactguns.com had those 50 beowolf uppers for sale on their website; I thought they were reasonably priced.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the 50 beowulf is still out there but getting an upper for .50 AE is tough to find.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I'd rather see a scaled up Desert Eagle chambered for the 50 Beowulf but that's just me. :)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm sure it could be done and I don't know why IMI hasn't tried to make a 500 autoloader yet but I bet is has something to do with the metalurgy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
According to Wikipedia, these handguns were also made in .50AE;

AMT AutoMag V, LAR Grizzly Win Mag, Freedom Arms model 555, Magnum Research BFR

The last 2 being revolvers.

The .50 and .41AE were developed by Action Arms, and there does seem to be a connection with IMI/Magnum Research as they made firearms in both of these rare cartridges.

·
Registered
69 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts