Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the topic states, Why doesnt Taurus make there guns in 357sig? Any thoughts about this, and would anybody like to see a 357sig weapon from Taurus.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
They do, and if you check gunsamerica.com you will see a Taurus PT957 (357sig) ported! It looks just like the 945, 909...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DRAEGER said:
They do, and if you check gunsamerica.com you will see a Taurus PT957 (357sig) ported! It looks just like the 945, 909...
DRAEGER would you say that this gun is a rare one to find or are they fairly common?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I'm fairly sure that they are out of production as I don't even see 357 Sig on the caliber list for the Gun Selector. I also don't see 400 Corbon which they made for a time (or at the least listed).

Those early Taurus autos (92 series is excluded here) just didn't do it for many people. I'm not saying that they are bad guns, they just didn't seem to attract interest.

On a related question, does anyone know if any companies are making replacement barrels for Taurus guns? Usually 357Sig is a drop in from a 40 S&W gun, smaller guns are less likely. The Mil Pro series probably wouldn't work real well. I know that for the small XD's that are in 40 you can't switch them to 357 Sig as the pressures are too high. A larger gun like the 24/7's shouldn't be a problem.

Steelheart

·
32,811 Posts
Steelheart is correct. There are other reasons as well that might play into it though Steelheart covered the main ones.

With the plethora of decent available pistol cartridges out there the market for an caliber gets diluted. So many chioces. These cartridges all do well for the criterea set down for defense and combat.

There are so many good revolver and semiauto cartridges to fill the bill for the military, agencies, and head tails above everything else. Some calibers and types do things better than others, but do not do all things well.

Users needs have to be considered.

With all those choices great demand for any cartridge may not happen for a while. There are some cartridges that are highly used. Just not on a scale companies or people might have thought possible. There are exceptions.

The .357 SIG is an excellent cartridge. There are however other cartidges that have what the .357 SIG duplicates or matches closely. This was introduced after the other decent cartridges and came late to the game.

With the " Cartridge Flavor of the Week or Month" that the shooting industry have put out, it is not surprising that acceptance is slow by the buyers and users.

Right now there is not much of a market for Taurus in the military or police market for that caliber. The share of that market isn't that big yet and other companies filled what share there was so far. That is where most of their profits would come from with us civilains kind of at the back of the pack.

Eventually all that could change. We have to wait and see where all this is going.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I have been a long time fan of the 357 sig and these are my thoughts...When the PT957 was around ( 1999 ) there were only a handfull of factory loadings for the 357 Sig - maybe 8 to10 at most - and not much of a following in the gun community.
Now, almost 8 years later there is a plethora of Sig ammo out there if you shop via internet. I have shot 51 different factory loadings or factory reloads. I have 8 more on the shelf to try and still more to buy!!!!
Also, there are more and more Law Enforcement using the Sig round which, I think, will eventually trickle down to the general population as people tend to like to use what law enforcent uses. Here is a list of States whose State Troopers now use the 357 SIG:

Delaware
Montana
New Mexico
North Carolina
North Dakota
Oklahoma
Rhode Island
Tennessee
Texas
and Virginia.

In addition, the Secret Service and the U.S. Air marshall use the Sig round.
The Pennsylvania Game commission uses the 357 Sig in the Glock 31 and I believe the NJ Fish and game uses 357 sig.

Gunmakers that make pistols in 357 sig:

SIG
Glock
H&K
Springfield ( in their XD's)
Steyr
S&W will soon release one in the M&P platform
and Beretta may in their PX4

I think the Taurus 957 may have been the wrong platform at the wrong time. And I think they are missing the boat on this one. I think a .357 Sig in their 24/7 platform, if not a big hit, would certainly sell. A modern caliber, in a modern platform, at prices more affordable than a H&K or SIG??
Sounds like a winner to me!!!!

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Ditto what DRAEGER said. Sometimes specimens are listed for sale on gunbroker, guns america and other online auction sites. They're probably one's best bet for finding a particular brand/model/caliber etc.. that's difficult to find.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
TitaniumMan said:
Gunmakers that make pistols in 357 sig:

SIG
Glock
H&K
Springfield ( in their XD's)
Steyr
S&W will soon release one in the M&P platform
and Beretta may in their PX4

I think they (Taurus) are missing the boat on this one. I think a .357 Sig in their 24/7 platform, if not a big hit, would certainly sell. A modern caliber, in a modern platform, at prices more affordable than a H&K or SIG?? Sounds like a winner to me!!!!
While I agree that a 24/7 in .357sig would sell, there are already modern platforms at prices more affordable then H&K and SIG (see the italics above), granted they cost a little more then a Taurus would, but not much and still affordable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts