Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New gun, fired 100 rounds, cleaned twice. Both times when putting the slide back on this is what happens. It will NOT move forward to release. Why is the front the guide spring coming out of the end of the barrel? I cleaned my MillPro many, many times and never had problems like this. The first time this happened on this gun, I set it down and later came back to it. Working the slide back and forth trying to the damn thing loose. It finally came forward. Is it something I'm doing wrong somehow?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Have you tried pulling the trigger while trying to remove the slide? If this won't work, read below...

Will it move backwards? Far enough for the back of the slide to over hang the frame? If this is the case, move slide backwards to expose the underside of the slide and remove the firing pin assemble. This should free your slide and allow you to slide it off the front of your frame like you would in a normal disassembly. Then reinstall the firing pin assembly and reassemble your pistol.

If your not sure about the firing pin assembly, best bet is to look at the pistol schematics for your model. They are generally found on the Taurus website. When bought my first 24/7 I did this twice by accident, its no real problem. DON'T LET SOME GUNSMITH BEAT IT OFF WITH A HAMMER!!! As happened once or twice to some of our members...

This is a fairly common problem that is from the operator (not that you did anything wrong really), not the design of the firing arm.

·
Administrator
35,117 Posts
patience, grasshoppa - stick your finger in the ejector port and hold the barrel forward, THEN put the pin back in - I did this two or three times before I figured it out...... ;-)

·
Registered
325 Posts
its all about that pin. gotta love the people who designed that work of art. cant complain, ive seen worse.

seems the first time you take it apart and put it back together is the toughest.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I finally lost my cool and racked the slide back and forth like a mofo and it came off. Hope I didn't jack anything up. It's functioning normally now. Thanks for the info though, I'll be sure to be more careful next time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
MaddSkillz,

I played around with my 24/7 .45 and was able to make the barrel and guide rod protrude as shown in your picture. I did this by having the guide rod and spring off center (to either side) before replacing the slide on the frame. If you have the guide rod lined up with the barrel lug, the slide should slide fully on without catching on anything.

Hope it is as simple as this. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
How the heck did the guide rod go through? I dont think this should happen!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whammer said:
MaddSkillz,

I played around with my 24/7 .45 and was able to make the barrel and guide rod protrude as shown in your picture. I did this by having the guide rod and spring off center (to either side) before replacing the slide on the frame. If you have the guide rod lined up with the barrel lug, the slide should slide fully on without catching on anything.

Great to know! Thanks for sharing that.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Exact same thing happened on my 9mm, like yours it was the guide spring and rod being slightly off center of the barrell lug.As I put the slide back on, I noticed it didn't feel right. I got the slide back off with only a few cuss words. Then it felt right and slid back on easily, so I took it off again, and tried again and it didn't feel right, so I stopped and noticed the spring rod not being perfectly centered, straightened it, and it slid on easily. So it is just a minor thing to be aware of, if it doesn't slide on easily, don't force it, align the spring/rod with the barrell lug.
Whammer said:
MaddSkillz,

·
Administrator
39,379 Posts
I've gotta' agree that it's the take down pin. Cleaned my mil pro yesterday after a range trip, and thought of this thread. I can make mine do the same thing if the barrel is not fully forward upon reassembly. When I replace the pin I hold the gun with muzzle down and gravity holds the barrel properly forward. :thumb: :zzz:

·
Registered
235 Posts
All you need to do is when you put the take down pin back in, point the barrel of the gun towards the floor. It will fall all the way forward, and you can put the takedown pin back in, and it will go back together properly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts