Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Open Carry. Sure, I can do it, and I've done it before, but these days I just prefer not to. Once I would welcome the comments, positive and negative, and sometimes enjoy the ensuing debate, but I feel it causes more trouble than it's worth at this point in my life. I don't want to 'make a statement' or 'get the sheep used to it' (never going change their mind anyhow) I just want a nice, quiet, low-drama life, that's all.

Open Carry -

'Look mommy, he has a GUN!'

'Oh, tough guy with a gun, whatcha gonna do now, huh?'

'OMG A GUN! I'm calling the police'

'Why do you need a gun at a _________?'

All of these are just unnecessary problems I don't need, that likely wouldn't happen in the first place if they couldn't see it. Then there's the element of surprise one has with a concealed firearm if it's ever needed...and keeping it 'out of sight, out of mind' can negate potential gun grabbers. I know the odds of someone going for a gun are low, but it HAS happened before, why risk even the slightest chance of it?

Just my thoughts about it. Everyone makes their own choice, of course.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
I don't open carry as much as I used to, but that's due to more business that have changed their stance on open carry. I do still however carry open if my business is not taking me to businesses that locations that prohibit OC.

Of all the times that I have OC I have never been confronted about doing so. I have received a look or two, to which I have simply nodded back towards. I will not stop carrying simply due the paranoia of those who don't want to understand or accept my legal right to do so.

If some one wants to call the police, I have no issue with that. Lets turn it into an educational situation.

If asked why do I need a gun, I will reply that I hope that I don't need a gun. But, if I do will also protect you as well as myself.

Tough guy with a gun, now what are you going to do...keep on walking and stay aware of my surroundings. If provocation requires it, I'll dial 911.

I have mentioned it before, it's not always about your choice to open carry, it's more about how you present yourself and demeanor when you open carry that will draw attention or acceptance in public.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Don't carry open very often. I like the element of surprise. There are those who open carry to make a statement. Others because it's convenient. If I do, it's because of the latter rather than the former.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
The only time I "open carry" is winter when I have a coat on that still provides concealment but would hinder me getting to an IWB carry. For me, the whole point is that it's concealed so any potential BG's don't see me as a target. Just another harmless bloke out shopping. I also don't feel the need to make any statements just because...

·
Registered
117 Posts
In todays world the element of supprise is often overlooked..
I always carry concealed wherever I go..
I was at Kroger yesterday & as I was walking in a guy came out with a pistol on his hip, It's against thier store policy to carry open, I just reached back & put my hand on mine & looked at him & walked on.. My Son works at this Kroger BTW..
They all know my take on this but this was caused by others who open carry.. One of my many NRA hats or shirts I'm sure..
They have never seen my guns..

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
Only time I OC is if I'm in the woods or trails with one of my revolvers too big to comfortably CC.
If you see me around town, I'm pocket carrying the TCP.
And I never wear tees, hats, belt buckles or anything else advertising or promoting firearms. I don't have any desire to stand out from the crowd.

·
Premium Member
3,630 Posts
Only time I OC is if I'm in the woods or trails with one of my revolvers too big to comfortably CC.
If you see me around town, I'm pocket carrying the TCP.
And I never wear tees, hats, belt buckles or anything else advertising or promoting firearms. I don't have any desire to stand out from the crowd.
I've only open carried once in my lifetime. That was as a teenager on the way to the Sheriff's range with my dad. I do, however, stand out in the crowd as the lucky guy holding hands with a beautiful woman!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Kansas is a gun friendly state and we even have Constitutional carry. I see people occasionally OC. I can, but I won't. I'll be 69 years old next week and one thing I don't want to do is get into a fight with a young punk who just wants to wrestle my gun away from me. Who is to say that this punk might just try to rob me....just because. But why be an attractive target? I would rather surprise him.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I only OC when in the woods or at the range. At the range, it's so common, and in the woods, it might be neccessary.

In normal public, I just try to blend in, an old duffer who happens to be very aware of the surroundings and the attitudes of other people. At my age and mobility issues, the element of surprise is more important for me to have than to give away, and as others said, to keep some young punk from thiking he's going to get an easy gun. Too old to fight, too lame to run.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Open carry is not a big deal to me as long as it's legal as it should be. Peace through strength. Soft targets invite criminals. Open carry can stop you from being seen as a soft target. I have been mistaken for LEO while open carry many times. Being aware of your surroundings is so important why would how you project yourself in your surroundings not be?
Many animals in the wild kingdom project themselves with danger by bright colors or warning sounds like a jungle cat. They also use camo and hide.
I can and will use things like this to my advantage if I need but mostly how I carry depends on my activities, how I dress and where I'm going. I'm free to do as I see fit and how my freedom fits me is only my business.
Why would anyone need to open carry? Why would anyone need to be free.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Open Carry. Sure, I can do it, and I've done it before, but these days I just prefer not to. Once I would welcome the comments, positive and negative, and sometimes enjoy the ensuing debate, but I feel it causes more trouble than it's worth at this point in my life. I don't want to 'make a statement' or 'get the sheep used to it' (never going change their mind anyhow) I just want a nice, quiet, low-drama life, that's all.

Open Carry -

'Look mommy, he has a GUN!'

'Oh, tough guy with a gun, whatcha gonna do now, huh?'

'OMG A GUN! I'm calling the police'

'Why do you need a gun at a _________?'

All of these are just unnecessary problems I don't need, that likely wouldn't happen in the first place if they couldn't see it. Then there's the element of surprise one has with a concealed firearm if it's ever needed...and keeping it 'out of sight, out of mind' can negate potential gun grabbers. I know the odds of someone going for a gun are low, but it HAS happened before, why risk even the slightest chance of it?

Just my thoughts about it. Everyone makes their own choice, of course.
Honestly, I've never experienced any of the things you mention when open carrying. I did often open carry when I lived in Phoenix in the mid 1960s and again when I moved to California when I went to the deserts or up in the forests. The only issue there came when Ronald Reagan and the Republican Legislature made public possession of any firearm illegal.

More recently down here on the border the only comments I've ever gotten have been a handful of other folk wanting to swap stories. In general over the last half century or more my experiences have shown that the general public is pretty much oblivious to anything around them.

·
Registered
14,677 Posts
That's the wonderful thing about America, you can choose to or choose not to.

The very second the government says that you cannot, that is when there will be an issue.

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
I have open carried, but doing so went along with either a uniform or a hunting license, so I guess it doesn't really count in the context we're discussing.

I get that there are people who advocate for, and choose to, open carry, and while I might consider such times extremely limited, there are circumstances in which open carry might be a better choice.

The general public can be amazingly oblivious to obvious signs someone is carrying concealed, while also being amazingly panicky over someone open carrying.

For myself, I would choose concealed carry even if open carry was an option. I would prefer to be the gray man.

https://www.thebugoutbagguide.com/gray-man-theory/

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
People around here dont pay any attention to those that open carry. I do on occasion and have only got positive comments.
And to those that say people only carry open for attention well, you're part of the problem. I guess in your opinion wearing my Ruger hat draws unwanted attention? Maybe those that have NRA stickers are just looking for attention. Oh, and make sure to check your ball hats to make sure and not offend anyone. Dont do anything that could indicate you own firearms, you're just doing it for the attention.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.