Taurus Firearm Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Why do I carry..??

Well, because I have traveled to a state where I am "allowed" the right to carry. So I do....

Oh.. And when I do carry, I carry a gun... (Because a cop is too heavy)

berry...

·
Registered
117 Posts
workman said:
I'm forced to agree. Me or my family. After that I'll be minding my own business unless it's an extremely clear cut circumstance.
Majorlk said:
I carry to protect my family - period! There is no "duty", either implicit or implied, for me to protect my neighbors, much less my "community". My carry permit does not confer upon me either the right, authority or responsibility to intervene in any altercation other than what may affect my immediate family. It does not, under ANY circumstances, turn me into a pseudo-police officer or other keeper of the peace. It does not make me a "sheepdog" or any other such currently popular (among the self-defense crowd) nonsense.

I am afraid that there are way too many gun-toters with delusions of grandeur that will one day come back to bite them.
I couldn't agree more..!

I am a former Airborne Ranger and Vietnam vet. I have been in combat and have been wounded in combat. There is nothing macho or glamorous about taking another person's life.

I truly hope that I never have to be in a situation again where it is necessary to kill another human being.

That said, there are too many cases of random shootings where some nut job goes into a restaurant, shopping mall, store etc. and goes on a shooting spree.

I have survived too much in my life to be taken out by some nut job on a shooting spree. I will shoot back..!!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hey Ranger, I first want to say thank you for your service. A lot of Vietman Vets did not get the thanks that they deserved. I appreciate it sincerely.

Having been held up at gun point years ago, I will not be put in that positiion again. Family first.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks, North Star. Let's hope that none of us ever get put into a life or death situation where we may have to shoot someone.

However, being a former Boy Scout as well, I believe in their motto of "Be Prepared".

·
Registered
435 Posts
"Be Prepared". The Boy Scouts have had it right for years. Having the ability to carry comes with large responsibility. I am with you Ranger in that I too sincerely hope that none of us or our loved ones get into a situation of life or death. Especially from some ahole that has no regard for human life. Stay sharp, stay alert and stay safe.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Ranger69 said:
Thanks, North Star. Let's hope that none of us ever get put into a life or death situation where we may have to shoot someone.

However, being a former Boy Scout as well, I believe in their motto of "Be Prepared".
82nd Airborne in Vietnam? My dad was 82nd. I did two tours to the middle east. Got out in 2005.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I was with H Co 75th Infantry (Ranger Airborne) which was attached to the 1st Air Cav from late 1968 through 1969.

We started out as E Co 52nd Infantry (LRRP) which was re-commishoned as H CO 75th Inf in Feb 1968.

Ah, yes... The good old days. ;D

·
Registered
117 Posts
tjwbass said:
Stay sharp, stay alert and stay safe.
You too, my friend.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I carry to protect my wife,kids and to defend our home and vehicle from people who use fear to get things they did not work their ass off for.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I am a former Airborne Ranger and Vietnam vet. I have been in combat and have been wounded in combat. There is nothing macho or glamorous about taking another person's life.
[/quote]

Amen to that. While in the service (Navy) we were stationed for picket duty off a non-friendly harbor. Orders were to sink target if it left port and turned towards our fleet. Seems half the crew was stoked to make a kill and the other half was feeling otherwise. I will have to say I was one of the other half. The thought of sending 83 men to the bottom (submarine) gave me a very queasy feeling in my stomach. Luckily the non-friendly left port but followed coast to another port. We were two tubes locked and loaded with fire control solution on it just waiting to press the buttons.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I carry for a couple reasons, One of which is I am a part time Bail Agent who does property seziure. The second of which is Las vegas to most is lights, glamour and "Sin City" but to a lot of us who live here it is becoming a dangerous place. As property values fall neighborhoods that were once good, like mine have gone bad quickly with houses sitting empty or turned into section 8 rentals making for not the safest of areas. We work damm hard for the things we have and want and both my wife and I work irregular hours and I'l be dammed if someone thinks they can just walk up and have it for themselves.
As a side note you can open carry in Las Vegas and occasionaly people do notice in the weirdest places... like Arbys

·
Registered
117 Posts
LV_BEA said:
I carry for a couple reasons, One of which is I am a part time Bail Agent who does property seziure. The second of which is Las vegas to most is lights, glamour and "Sin City" but to a lot of us who live here it is becoming a dangerous place. As property values fall neighborhoods that were once good, like mine have gone bad quickly with houses sitting empty or turned into section 8 rentals making for not the safest of areas. We work damm hard for the things we have and want and both my wife and I work irregular hours and I'l be dammed if someone thinks they can just walk up and have it for themselves.
As a side note you can open carry in Las Vegas and occasionaly people do notice in the weirdest places... like Arbys
We have open carry here in TN too. However, to me, open carry is an invitation to trouble. That's why I always go concealed. JMHO

·
Registered
435 Posts
I agree with you ranger. I would like Texas to make open carry legal. I would not do it but maybe it will do away with the "your but is in trouble if the gun prints law." I can understand the reasons for the law so you don't panic the general public. I am also a firm believer in Murphy's law. A wrong turn of the body, wind, bend over, reach for something that the gun could print. Not that anyone would ever notice but you never know.

·
Registered
117 Posts
That's the main reason that I really like the "Bulldog" holster/case that comes with the TCP. You can wear it anywhere, anytime and never have to worry about it "printing". Not to mention the fact that I can access (draw) the gun from the Bulldog holster faster than any other concealed holster that I've tried.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm sure its been said, I carry because I want to protect myself and loved ones from harm, Other members say they carry because they are not 20 something any more and don't feel invincible any more. Well I'm only 24 and have only had my CHL for about a month now and my PT140 Mil-Pro or my 709 are either on e or near me. I have been mugged two times once with a knife and once with a gun. At the time I was 18 and lived in a state where it pretty much takes an act of the state congress to carry. I refuse to be a victim again, before I was SOL for protection, and as for the cops they told me "sorry kid but without anything traceable there's nothing we can do. I'll give them that but 5 plus mins of waiting when you call can be a life time if your injured.

I carry because the LEO do a great job but can't be every where every second.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Ranger69 said:
That's the main reason that I really like the "Bulldog" holster/case that comes with the TCP. You can wear it anywhere, anytime and never have to worry about it "printing". Not to mention the fact that I can access (draw) the gun from the Bulldog holster faster than any other concealed holster that I've tried.
I quite agree! Perhaps we will see more and more of this method of carrying in the future.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
There are innumerable reasons for choosing to CCW, these are mine................

• At 60 years of age, with two titanium knees, a titanium shoulder, and damage to my back from a chopper crash in RVN; I can't run fast enough to outdistance the perp.
• As we age, we increase our chances of becoming victims of crime.
• There are just not bad people in the world, there are EVIL people in this world. I have, unfortunately, dealt with some of them.
• I have a wife, two sons, a daughter, a granddaughter, six grandsons, a great-granddaughter, and two great-grandchildren waiting to be born. They mean the world to me and I want to be there for them.
• I have no death wish, I'm not Rambo, or John Wayne incarnate. I will however protect myself and mine.
• Having been shot three times and stabbed a few times I have no desire to repeat the experience.
• Guns and bullets do not win the fight - mindset and tactics do.

I carry a minimum of two handguns every waking moment of every day. During hunting season I'm carrying three guns (Rifle or shotgun in addition to two handguns).

I AM NOT PARANOID - I AM PREPARED.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts