21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,548 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
MilProGuy said:
Now that you are here, don't be shy...jump in and broaden our knowledge base by sharing your handgun experiences with us. :thumb:
I don't know about broadening it, maybe adding to it at times. ;)

·
Registered
435 Posts
To say that I carry cause I went through the course and can just simplifies things way to much. It is a chosen lifestyle. This affords me the opportunity to distance myself from the rest of the sheep. Everyday I look at my family and that is all the justification that I need. Hey Tarpon, I am not like you in that I carry my gun around the house. I simply put it on the backrest of whatever chair I am on so I don't have to stand up to draw. In all seriousness I am like Tarpon all the way in that I am not complacent to the point that I believe nothing will happen in the home.
By the way Tarpon, did you ever get that 36?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Nope, I ended up not getting the 36. I noted in another thread about what happened. I went to the local gun shop and they had a 36 and a 30 in stock. I picked them both up and didn't notice much of a difference at all. I was dissapointed, to say the least. I had hyped myself up on the dramatic difference and how cool it would be to have a 36. Well, the 30 holds more rounds, and since the difference in width was so negligible it wasn't noticable, I left torn and sad. :D I decided my 27 can do anything I need done, especially with the PDX1 ammo i'm carrying in it.

I don't know man, I was just really dissapointed. So, I did what any respectable shooter would do, I bought upgrade parts for my 27 to boost moral. :) I had the local gun shop order the Amerglo U-TAP, or something like that, half ghost ring night sights. Next, i'm putting all the extended crap on it, to include the aluminum mag release. That will be later, since this recent influx of bills I just got.

I know in my heart, as a true shooter and collector, I will continue to uselessly purchase firearms that I don't need. And that's OK. But the truth be told, the 27 is the ultimate firearm in my VERY HUMBLE opinion. There are a lot of great gun manufacturers out there, I know. But to balance price, reliability, and all the goods, Glock does it better than most; and the 27 is the right caliber in the right size.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Tarpon, for the last two years I have been trying to decide between what I think I want versus what I think I need. I have finally settled on 4 guns. I have a Judge for outside the house doing yardwork. (Plenty of snakes here). I carry a 740 in my pocket for the heat waves we have here in Texas. Fall and winter is my Glock 30 and the glove box gun is a 29. This just just what I feel will cover all the bases for me personally and so far it has worked out fine for me.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Why do I carry? I am 63 years old now. I want to live to be 64 + a few more.

Nuff said......

·
Registered
36 Posts
My neighbor told me once he was going to kill me about 5 times in the same heated conversation. All that over a stinking parking spot. I took him seriously. Since then I've been prepared for anything. The wife and I both carry now.

Some things shouldn't be said lightly.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Because I can. If I didn't and something happened to my wife or daughter, I'd have a really hard time with that.

I carry everywhere, everyday.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I carry because:

I believe it is my duty to do my part in protecting my family, neighbors and community and not rely on someone else to run to their aid to find them hurt or worse. I hope and pray I never have to draw my weapon but should the occasion arise I am prepared.

JD

·
Registered
435 Posts
After reading all the posts, to me, it seems that it boils down to this: We as husbands, fathers, grandfathers have a strong belief that it is our obligation to take care of our loved ones. To rely on the police or others would unnecessarily put our loved ones into harms way. I will do all that I possibly can to keep them safe and happy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
tjwbass said:
After reading all the posts, to me, it seems that it boils down to this: We as husbands, fathers, grandfathers have a strong belief that it is our obligation to take care of our loved ones. To rely on the police or others would unnecessarily put our loved ones into harms way. I will do all that I possibly can to keep them safe and happy.
Agreed. I ask no one for help with anything else in life--why would I leave the most important thing to someone else?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I never really carried much until about eighteens months ago when i ruptured my Achilles tendon. This was the first injury i ever had that left me pretty helpless laying on the ground. Six months on crutches, 3 months wearing a boot and it took 16 months before i could even do a little light jogging.
I started carrying more because i had to go places by my self a lot and on crutches you just can't run away. The crutches were a good club, but then you could easily lose your balance. My wife went and got her permit at this time, she got much more protective of me and the kids while i was down.Now we' er a duel threat.
Funny how a injury to you or someone you care about can change your prospective.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
workman said:
Agreed. I ask no one for help with anything else in life--why would I leave the most important thing to someone else?
Excellent!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Why do I carry?

Just in case I can't run fast enough.

·
Banned
2,620 Posts
jdanderson said:
I carry because:

I believe it is my duty to do my part in protecting my family, neighbors and community and not rely on someone else to run to their aid to find them hurt or worse. I hope and pray I never have to draw my weapon but should the occasion arise I am prepared.

JD
I carry to protect my family - period! There is no "duty", either implicit or implied, for me to protect my neighbors, much less my "community". My carry permit does not confer upon me either the right, authority or responsibility to intervene in any altercation other than what may affect my immediate family. It does not, under ANY circumstances, turn me into a pseudo-police officer or other keeper of the peace. It does not make me a "sheepdog" or any other such currently popular (among the self-defense crowd) nonsense.

I am afraid that there are way too many gun-toters with delusions of grandeur that will one day come back to bite them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Majorlk said:
I carry to protect my family - period! There is no "duty", either implicit or implied, for me to protect my neighbors, much less my "community". My carry permit does not confer upon me either the right, authority or responsibility to intervene in any altercation other than what may affect my immediate family. It does not, under ANY circumstances, turn me into a pseudo-police officer or other keeper of the peace. It does not make me a "sheepdog" or any other such currently popular (among the self-defense crowd) nonsense.

I am afraid that there are way too many gun-toters with delusions of grandeur that will one day come back to bite them.
I'm forced to agree. Me or my family. After that I'll be minding my own business unless it's an extremely clear cut circumstance.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Majorlk said:
Exactly why I would prefer to run if it is the wisest choice to make. Of course, avoiding the sitch to start with is always the best scenario.

·
Banned
2,620 Posts
taptwice said:
Exactly why I would prefer to run if it is the wisest choice to make. Of course, avoiding the sitch to start with is always the best scenario.
Agreed. I am very picky about the places I go and I will flee in a heartbeat to avoid a potential problem. It's MUCH cheaper and less stressful than being involved in a shooting - even a righteous one. The very last thing I ever want to do is shoot someone.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts