Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Why haven't you applied for a concealed handgun/weapon license?

• Cost of the license too high

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No time for the class

• Prior arrest record

• I don't feel I need one

• Too many places I can't carry

• My state doesn't allow it

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up to 3 reasons may be selected.

If you already have yours, indicate what was the most significant reason you hesitated before getting the license.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I always justified my not having a license with the "I don't have time" excuse. Then when I went to get it. St. Louis city would not issue them. Waiting for the courts to force them to issue seemed silly so...I got a Florida license. ;D

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
I was hesitant cause I didn't have a semi auto gun. I wasn't going to go through it with a revolver. Once I got a semi I signed up.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Flyer said:
I was hesitant cause I didn't have a semi auto gun. I wasn't going to go through it with a revolver. Once I got a semi I signed up.
There were several in my class (and in my friend's class) that rented a semi-auto at the range that held the class.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm in the process right now. Got my birth certificate in today, so will call and schedule my interview tomorrow. I guess my biggest reason for waiting was that I didn't think I needed to carry.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've got one I hardly waited for the ink to dry on the new law in 2001 befor I applied. I had one from time to time befor depending on what business I was in but it was very restricted.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thats so odd we just go in and fill out the form, then we get finger printed, and then they send it to the FBI for background check and in about 14 days it comes in the mail, it's so fast and we can carry pretty much anywhere. The only places that we can't carry are schools, bars, federal buildings, and buildings that are posted that you can't.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Since I live on an Air Force Base and can't carry the thing, I don't worry about it. I would get one, but with leaving for Korea in a month. I figured that I would get it when I get back. Shoot it would take that long for the permit just to come in (month).

·
Registered
122 Posts
I got my notice today From the KY State Police to pick my CCDW on Tuesday!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Does anyone really believe that someone will check "Prior arrest record"? Not likely! Heck, I must have been arrested 5 or 6 times in my youth....5 or so for driving with a suspended license and 1 time for 'tresspassing'. Did it make any difference about me getting a ccw license? No. I also picked up a Utah permit to allow me to carry in 15 more states besides my home state.
Yes, I know, the above weren't serious arrests.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Arizona allows open carry so I never felt a compelling reason to conceal. I finaly decided to get one to cover the times when I hide it under the seat while visiting a bank or post office. I still open carry from time to time but if it's cool and I have a jacket on I am covered.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Flyer did the instrutors in your area not make autos available to the class? Just being nosey.

·
Registered
7 Posts
texas shooter said:
Flyer did the instrutors in your area not make autos available to the class? Just being nosey.
Is it normal for the instructor to provide weapons?

Everybody in my class provided their own and there was no discussion about someone else providing one.

·
Registered
846 Posts
In my area they all do some rent, but the one the Ms. and I took ours from furnished them and you bought you ammo which he even had(9mm) for $10 a box.
It was hard for me to believe that people came even without ammo, but they did. Hope their more prepared out in the real world.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Didn't vote, nothing applies.

As a retired police officer, I'm able to carry with no permit required. I still carry a badge & police ID. That's in Oregon. Heck, that's the reason I wanted to be a cop in the first place. 8)

Three yerars ago I qualified for nation wide carry under HR-218. For that, I am issued a card saying that I am a retired cop and qualified for national carry. HR-218 requires annual qualification and updated ID.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Didn't vote, nothing applies.

As a retired police officer, I am able to carry with no permit required. I still carry a badge & police ID. That's in Oregon. Heck, that's the reason I wanted to be a cop in the first place.

Three yerars ago I qualified for nation wide carry under HR-218. For that, I am issued a card saying that I am a retired cop and qualified for national carry. HR-218 requires annual qualification and updated ID.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I try and tell people I know about the CHL because I think as the number of licensees rises the politicians will be more inclined to pay attention; or at least I would if I were running a campaign. IMO, the time/cost commitment is relatively cheap compared to the aggravation of carrying without a license and getting caught and I always tell people my motto is that all persons legally allowed should own at least 1 firearm because every criminal has at least two! What a signal it would send to our local/state/federal government if the number of licenses shot up dramatically!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Didn't vote in above poll due to unique NY laws that applied to me. I moved to another county, the county I am in now (40 minutes from old county) has a great Judge who believes in the 2nd amendment and an individual's right to carry (provided you pass the strict requirements).

Basically it's possible to get a CCW permit here in this county that allows me to carry in all of NY State (except NY City). Don't get me wrong NY is very tough all over, a long, costly & thorough background check, fingerprinting, reference checks, NRA course, etc. The final process is to meet with a Judge or Sheriff to review your application in person, if the Judge or Sheriff doesn't believe in an individual's right to carry you may have to prove you've been robbed or carry a lot of ca$h.

New York lacks state-wide consistency in some counties it's up to the local Sheriff's dept., in others it's the County Judge(s). Some Judges & Sheriffs simply don't believe in an individuals right to carry, they have their own agenda, and apply the law as they see fit. I have since applied and can carry as non-resident in PA, NH, ME & VT (no non-resident needed). I am looking to apply to FL next and can never expect to carry in NJ, but unfortunately only law-abiding citizens obey the law and there are plenty of criminals who carry in Jersey.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts