Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Administrator
40,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Permit holders across the nation are in a minority. Probably on this site they are also a minority. So the question is, Why have you not gotten your permit? Cost? Time? Too many places where carry is prohibited? Don't know how to go about it? What are your reasons? :???:

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Smokewagon said:
Permit holders across the nation are in a minority. Probably on this site they are also a minority. So the question is, Why have you not gotten your permit? Cost? Time? Too many places where carry is prohibited? Don't know how to go about it? What are your reasons? :???:
Why have I not gotten it? In all honesty, the sessions held here from Nov, until now fell during a time when I could not attend.
Then I found out that most of the local sessions were 40 members to a class. (yeah I know they have to make a buck off of it, but too many in a class for me, I would feel like I was in a cattle drive).

I did find a trainer, who does multi state training, with a Max of 12 per class, but he is not having winter classes as his range is outdoors. So I am scheduled for March, but will be glad to have the option to get FL non resident, or possibly UT. He also will be teaching a course in defensive handgun during the month that I plan to take also.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Cost was a main factor, but where I live, I applied to take the test, and was told they have to wait until enough people are registered before they will give a class. We ll it has been about a year since I registered and just kinda forgot about it. I guess I dont really need one as bad since we can carry a gun anywhere in the car in Mo., and can carry one as long as it is not concealed in public.

I mainly needd mine in St. Louis, and just slap it on my hip and get my work done. I have not had one person call the cops on my for holstering it. I figured people would be calling the cops on me because you never see anyone just walk around with a gun exept for cops. I will still take it, but it has fallen back a ways on the priority list.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the process of getting my ccw license. Here in Gwinnett county, GA it only cost $40 and to my surprise all you need are the basic requirements (21 yrs.old, U.S. Citizen, no misdemeanor violence, etc..), not even a safety class. I lived in Cali for most of my life then moved to Missouri for a year before coming here and I must say that my thinking has been warped by the "Golden State's" liberal laws. I went to apply for my ccw on Jan. 8th and while I filled it out in the room it seemed as though every other person was getting an app also. I was the 98th application handed out on the 8th day of 2008. I had a friend get fingerprinted the day before me and he got his license 13 days after (they're fast here). I haven't got mine yet, but I figure it has to do with the fact that I've moved around the US more than the friend who lived in GA his whole life. Anxiously awaiting...............

·
Registered
43 Posts
I guess cost is the main issue for me. However, I plan on getting it very soon(i'm a college student, so when my federal student loan funds come in). Here in FLA the permit is $117, and you have to take a course. I could take the course from 'a guy who knows a guy' for 50 bucks, but in my area there's a retired army Ssgt/FL law enforcement who offers a private 200 round tactical course for $165 that i'm saving up for. He has a whole training routine for strong hand, weak hand, one hand, retreating, and reloading that I'm totally interested in.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I've got mine and am about due for my renewal but I'll give a rough run-down on the cost up here in Mn.

Carry course: $100+
Initial Permit: $100 (Renewals are $75)
Basic carry gun: $300 (good price seen recently on a M85)
Ammo: $50 (just a number, some for practice, some for the course and some for carry)
Pocket holster: $12 (Uncle Mikes)
Cleaning Kit: $8 (just a guess as I haven't gotten a new one in years)

Total: $570

Yes, you may be able to find a less expensive gun and could cheaper ammo but thats probably about the lowest you'll be able to find for a new shooter starting out who wants a new gun. A smaller 22 pistol (PT22) would be cheaper but I'd rather find a well used service gun for that price. Of course if a person already has a suitable gun then it becomes much cheaper.

Steelheart

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i've not looked to deeply but here you have ot take a course 10hr class time and 2hr range time..

i've seen courses for like 160.. im not sure if thats ammo included (i doubt it)

another thing is wtf woudl i carry? i want to get a px4sc but they are'nt out yet.
the smallest gun i own is my hi-point C9, and i would'nt carry that unless it's all i had, might make a good car,travel, or camp gun though..

so im left with some pretty hefty guns.. my favorite is my beretta92, but my pt92 would serve carry duty since it's easier to replace and i like the safety better.

but it's a big gun, i could probably conceal it cause im a big guy and it's definately the gun i'd most wanna carry because of it's accuracy, reliability, handles great and im comfortable with it.

the next problem being a good level 2 or 3 holster for it (basicly taurus w/rail = beretta vertec) is probably gonna run about a 100 bucks..

i got a fobus ev2 on the way.. but it has no security, not a problem for concealment but it's OWB which makes it a little harder.

ok so say i have no problem with holster or concealment..

im still not sure i wanna go though the hassle of being finger printed and all that jazz.. i understand the reasoning but i dont like it just the same..

im also a fan of open carry that i can do legally without a license but it goes back to the holster.. you really need a level2 or better for open carry in a hostile environment IE: a busy close quarters place or a pack of strangers.

then there is also a nasty little pit fall in ohio, you can't carry a gun even open carry in a vehicle unless you have a CC license, which means locking the gun up everytime you get in and out of a car.

i know at some point i would like to start carrying but atm i do not.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I persoanlly am waiting till the weather warms up as the shooting portion is outside.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here in Iowa its up to each individual county sheriff as to who gets a permit. So we have as many different rules and requirements as there are sheriffs. I'm trying in April when the next class is held.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Reading over my posts, and I realized my spelling gets worse the later it is. Where is the spell check?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
firefox and mozilla (seamonkey now) have built in spell checker..

even so i dont proof read most of my posts.. looking over them i always sound half drunk.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
chad_rn said:
I persoanlly am waiting till the weather warms up as the shooting portion is outside.
You aren't the only one....

Internet Explorer used to have IESpell that was a free download. I used it when I was still using IE. It worked about as well as the Firefox one. Also, spell checker will correct to a word but its not necessarily the word you wanted. And your grammar can still suck (just check out some of my posts...).

Steelheart

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
you and me both steel, but i always put thought over form.

would you rather have talk to someone with something interesting to say but is a little sloppy on expressing it, or someone who has perfect spelling and glamor but has'nt got a unique thought in their head?

i'll take the first choice.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I was lucky. It takes time and you have to make the time. I found a range that did the class, photo, fingerprints, and notary all in one shot. I had to mail in the info and it took about 2mos. Now I'm told they can no longer do it.
Now you have to go to a local police dept to get the prints done. My friend took his course about 2mos ago, but has yet to take a day off from work to do the prints. It's a chore at best.
And of course the financial commitment.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Up until a year ago I hadn't given the gun toten think a thought. Just one of the sheeple hoping that the BG wouldn't shoot me after I gave him everything I had. Then my mom gave out the last 3 longguns that were my grandfathers. I took the 30-30 thinking I'd be able to kill more animals with it then the shotguns. But after getting it I started thinking about how limited its use is. To complement it I went looking for a handgun. Guy at the gun shop ask what I wanted it for. Thinking about this and finding out from them that CCW is easier (still descretionary) then when I was a child. I decided then to go about the process of getting a license and a compact handgun.

Cost for the whole process including the gun would end up under $800, have spent twice that since starting; second gun, lots of ammo, time and cost at the range. All well worth it.

Got the CCDW back in Sept. and haven't regretted it. Found a few guys in my state, over at opencarry.org , who are testing out the concept of carrying openly in this state. Met up with them last month, a couple of us have the CCDW and chose to carry either way. I lean towards concealed.

I look like trouble without the gun and see no need to scare the natives further with something like the Judge hanging halfway down my leg. Keep the compact gun inside a pocket I've sewn into a leather vest. Keeps the wife(hates guns) from freaking out. End up looking like any other gang member type biker. Not in any gang, I'm neither a leader or follower, more of a lone wolf. Look a lot tougher then I am. Keeps me from looking like prey. Luckily I have a job with no dress code. 5 minutes talking to me and the illusion disappears.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
stephpd personally i think it would be a good thing if open carry was common.. it's legal here but you very rarely see it, they both have there pros and cons, but we've gotten away from our heiritage, so now days anything you hear about guns is automatically bad, its' been demonized and the general public is leary at best.. sad.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Met up with some local guys I met over at opencarry.org. A couple guys have started testing the water on open carry in this state. Rumor had it that it's frowned upon but these guys haven't had any problems yet. Get a few stares and a couple questions but nobody freaking out.

WE had a meeting at IHOP this month to put faces to the screen names and everything went well. Decided to see if we could make it a monthly thing and try different places. Only thing we over heard was the waitresses saying something like 'they're here in case we get robbed.' Seem like most people assume we're LEO's of some sort. Two of us look like undercover and the rest look like normal people. Luckily there are very few restrictions on where we can carry.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts