16,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
People born before 1946 were called -
The Greatest Generation.

People born between 1946 and 1964 are called -
The Baby Boomers.

People born between 1965 and 1979 are called -

Generation X.

And people born between 1980 and 2010 are called - Generation Y.
Why do we call the last group - Generation Y ?

Y should I get a job?

Y should I leave home and find my own place?

Y should I get a car when I can borrow yours?

Y should I clean my room?

Y should I wash and iron my own clothes?

Y should I buy any food?

But a cartoonist explained it very eloquently below...

Gen Y.jpg

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Is this missing an image?
You have to log into Yahoo to see the image....I don't have a Yahoo account!

I have a son born in 1992 and he is as hard of a working kid as I've ever known. He starts back to class next week, but has been working at a retirement center for over three years in the dining facility, loves old folks, Tutors math after he gets off work at the Retirement center, and on his off days does odds and ends for some rich folks. When classes starts back he will cut down to 20 hours of work a week as he is an engineering major in his 2nd year. He's a likable kid, honest and will go far in life. Yes I realize this is in the funny farm, but I am proud of this kid. He works harder than I ever did, both at work and school.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Lame. Very Lame.

I would have to make an educated guess that it's not the 30 year olds and younger that have brought the world to it's current state of affairs...Those generation x'ers and baby boomers can take credit for that...also, not to pass the buck because ultimately everybody is responsible for themselves (I work 2 jobs and am a full time graduate student) but don't you think it's fair to say that part of the reason for entitled/lazy youth today are their helicopter parents protecting them from the world and not letting them face adversity? I'm sort of tired of the "old guy telling the young person how lazy they are and how much better it was in their day". Don't get me wrong, the majority of people I hang out with are 20 years older than myself, but I get annoyed when some old dude creates this illusion based on his past that nobody else in the room can confirm about how he was the ultimate badass and kicked 8 dudes ass after working a 25 hour day that he had to walk to work in the snow uphill both ways to get to...It's kinda immature...like a 16 year old talking about the 20 girls he "has" had sex with.

Get off it. I know this is just in fun, but you caught me a bad time. The fact is that the world is infinitely more complex for young people in my generation to have to break into and find a niche and make a living than it was when the old folk were graduating high school/college and entering the labor pool. And the world isn't where it is because of any fault of the people who are 20 years old in 2012...what, 10 years ago when they were only 10 years old were they messing up the world by making stupid decisions in 4th grade?

Is anybody here willing to acknowledge that the world is a more difficult place for 20-somethings to become established in now than it was in the 1970s? Life is more expensive, minimum wage has NOT gone up with inflation/cost of living and a 4 year degree gets you a $10/hour dead end retail "management" job unless mommy and daddy know somebody on the board of directors at a major corporation. Back when my parents graduated from college in the 70's a college degree was like certification to being a well to do, aspiring, motivated and bright kid. Now graduating college is like graduating high school and then going into a tiny labor pool with few jobs where you're competing with people who have 20 more years of experience than yourself.

The fact of the matter is the world has become a tougher place. I know this doesn't mean that they're not lazy, but I seriously suspect that if you look at a 10 year old in 2012 vs a 10 year old in 1960, the present day 4th grader is far more advanced...and they will need to be to survive in this messed up situation inherited by his elders.

·
Registered
202 Posts
To equate everybody from Gen Y to being some lazy punk is like if I accused everybody from the 60's of being lazy, burnout, hippy druggies. Is that fair to everybody that wasn't? I know I'll probably receive some responses like "it was just a joke ease up", but people should watch what they say. I'm tired of hearing this stuff from older people...I live in Florida, I'm surrounded by old people. I'll have an old person kamakazie driving in a 6000 pound lincoln towncar run a stop sign they couldn't see and then yell at me for being a young whipper snapper who doesn't have respect for rules...People say respect your elders out of principle, but I don't respect people unless they warrant being respected. I'm not one to avoid generalizations...they make life easier and can be funny...Just wanted to have think about the fact that there are a LOT of losers from YOUR generation who gave birth and raised a bunch of losers in MY generation. It's a vicious cycle

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I think much of this comes down to just how good your parents raised you. I'm at the tail end of Gen X and some charts list me at the very start of Gen Y. I don't have a problem with any of the items listed. Thanks, mom and dad. You did good.

·
Registered
155 Posts
GetDown, you sound like a very thoughtful person. As a young "boomer" I can tell you I've been giving these classifications a lot of thought lately as well. My parents are also part of the "boomers", while my husbands parents were part of "the greatest". The truth is, every generation has had issues, and like it or not, "the greatest" (at least in my mind) are only called so because so many of their generation fought and died to keep our country free. But actions have consequences. They were also afflicted with PTSD of their time - it just went undiagnosed, and it exhibited itself in unexpected ways. Many fathers were the "stiff upper lip" types who did not get terrifically involved in their childrens lives, leaving the next generation with some conflicting emotions. Mothers tried to make up for the coolness by being more indulgent - and neither of those situations are good for growing children. So while I certainly would not blame today's ills entirely on "the greatest", I can see the roots of where today's Gen Y's came from. And yes, it is a vicious cycle - at some point, we have to reach a "reset". I'm hoping that with more younger people recognizing where we're headed that the reset is coming sooner rather than later. As a mother of two teen girls, I'm doing my best to help them keep their heads on straight - it's the best we can do - try to teach the next generation to know and do better hopefully than we have, and not to use our own failings or that of our parents as a crutch.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Picture added.

Getdown it's a joke.

Reactions: leftbrainfemale

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Of course based on the picture I guess all plumbers are part of Generation Y regardless of age.

Now I'll get hate mail from the plumbers. Darn it. :eek:

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
In before move to politics. :D

·
Registered
27,127 Posts
... The fact is that the world is infinitely more complex for young people in my generation to have to break into and find a niche and make a living than it was when the old folk were graduating high school/college and entering the labor pool. And the world isn't where it is because of any fault of the people who are 20 years old in 2012...what, 10 years ago when they were only 10 years old were they messing up the world by making stupid decisions in 4th grade?

Is anybody here willing to acknowledge that the world is a more difficult place for 20-somethings to become established in now than it was in the 1970s? Life is more expensive, minimum wage has NOT gone up with inflation/cost of living and a 4 year degree gets you a $10/hour dead end retail "management" job unless mommy and daddy know somebody on the board of directors at a major corporation. Back when my parents graduated from college in the 70's a college degree was like certification to being a well to do, aspiring, motivated and bright kid. Now graduating college is like graduating high school and then going into a tiny labor pool with few jobs where you're competing with people who have 20 more years of experience than yourself.

The fact of the matter is the world has become a tougher place. I know this doesn't mean that they're not lazy, but I seriously suspect that if you look at a 10 year old in 2012 vs a 10 year old in 1960, the present day 4th grader is far more advanced...and they will need to be to survive in this messed up situation inherited by his elders.
GetDown, you have some valid points - but if you don't feel like the group description applies to you, just decline membership in the group rather than trying to defend the entire group.
And this part of your rant is just flat false. And a bit whiny. I have to laugh at anyone complaining about how tough growing up is who did not spend their grade school years learning to duck and cover. Who wasn't convinced that nuclear apocalypse was eminent every single day. Who didn't deal with lynchings as a daily danger for minorities. Whose idea of poverty is being forced to put up with an antique iPhone 3 because their contract won't pay for the 4s.
When I was poor I rode a bicycle 13 miles to work and 13 miles home every day because we couldn't afford gas. I wore a backpack to collect empty bottles and cans so that we could afford to buy a second carton of milk in the middle of the week for the kids. Now, you don't even have to put up with the indignity of going down to the welfare office and standing in line to get food stamps - everything is on your EBT card.
The fact of the matter is that the world has not become a tougher place. You just don't have the perspective to see the hard times that your predecessors went through. Have the last 3 years been rough economically? Heck yeah, but not worse than the last time a Keynsian was in charge during a downturn in the economy. And if you think you've got it rough competing for a job in this economy - try being 64 years old and looking for work. If you think 20 years or more experience counts for anything in the job market you are blind. 3-5 years, sure, but the assumption is that older workers are both obsolete and about to die anyway.
The fact that a college degree does not qualify you for a job is an indictment shared by the college and the student. What in the heck gave the poor kid the idea that a degree in gender studies was worth anything in the job market??? Fact is, graduating engineers are still being hired. It is true that while 20 years ago a graduating engineer would be able to pick from an average of 11 job offers, today he may only get 3 - or even 1. But - if you graduate from college with a skill set that will make a company more money than it costs to hire you - you will get a job.

BTW - the use of the word "you" in the above rant is a rhetorical device. I am not attacking you. I have no idea what kind of person you are, or what kind of worker you'd make.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
That's a funny joke, btleslie.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
You have to log into Yahoo to see the image....I don't have a Yahoo account!

I have a son born in 1992 and he is as hard of a working kid as I've ever known. He starts back to class next week, but has been working at a retirement center for over three years in the dining facility, loves old folks, Tutors math after he gets off work at the Retirement center, and on his off days does odds and ends for some rich folks. When classes starts back he will cut down to 20 hours of work a week as he is an engineering major in his 2nd year. He's a likable kid, honest and will go far in life. Yes I realize this is in the funny farm, but I am proud of this kid. He works harder than I ever did, both at work and school.
Great to hear of your son and his self motivation. He'll do well and anything he tries.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Dear BTLeslie,
As the nephew of a plumber I take great offense at your resent comments. haha.

I also took great offense at the sight of my uncles butt crack.

every generations has it gems and it turds.

Reactions: btleslie
1 - 17 of 17 Posts