Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Taurus 651 SS Protector .357. I have yet to go through and get all the grease out of the gun from the factory. However I try to cock it and the hammer stops halfway down. I can manualy rotate the cylinder and I feel a click, I can then cock the hammer. Sometimes this is sparadic. Squeezing it in double action sometimes works sometimes does not. HELP? :???: :'(

·
Administrator
35,401 Posts
hmmm....if there was that much grease, maybe there is some underneath the cover plate....? If there is, it could be gunking up the entire works and not allowing the cylinder to cycle correctly. I'd check this out first....once you take the cover plate off, if you do see excessive grease, and you don't want to take the parts apart, I would try spraying Break Free on it and see if that gets the grease out of there. That might do the trick, without having to perform surgery on it.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
O.k. I got it functioning well. It was just a bunch of grease on either side of the hammer that was gumming everything up. It's spinning like a fly-wheel now. Thanks.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jahfakin, I was just about to call the factory. I think I just need to take it to the range and fire a box through it and let it work its own kinks out.

By the way Jahakin what were the symptoms of your m85 when you got it, did it sound like my 651?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took my 651 to the range today and it worked fine, I shot it in single and double action. Do revolver require a "shooting in" period like a pistol or rifle? I assume it would for conditioning the barrell but does cycling the gun by shooting it help the overall shooting process?

·
Administrator
35,401 Posts
Sure - the springs and action loosen ujp a little bit over time, and everything smooths out. Double action will, probably, become just a little easier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts