Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Ladies, the guys have given us a nice place to hang out, so lets not waste it.

Why are you a firearms owner? For me it was all about home security and self protection. My husband and I watched daily as our nice quiet neighborhood turned bad. We realized we needed protection as the news stories piled up around us. Although I am not able to carry outside the home, I carry inside the home daily. It is not unusual for me to wash dishes with the .357 on my hip. I know there are many reason's women decided to own a firearm and or carry. I am most comfortable with a revolver, but plan to move into the semi auto's this summer. Please tell me which firearm you prefer, what you chose and why. How do you prefer to carry? Also,I am interested to know if you are realitively new to firearms, or if you have been around them your whole life.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I retired from the military 19 years ago. I didnt give firearm ownership much thought, although as former law enforcement, I support 2nd Amendment rights. A few years ago we noticed a "ghetto creep" in the area where we live (not to be disparaging). A convenience store down the street was robbed and the owner shot and killed.
As for me, I am not so concerned about my own safety, but I have a handicapped wife. I will defend her with my life. I also thought a lot about the shooting in NV where the wacko shot up an IHOP with several unarmed soldiers killed. I dont want it on my conscience if innocents were hurt and I was in a position to do something about it and wasnt prepared.
I got my concealed pistol license last October and have purchased a few handguns. I am partial to semiautomatics.
My eyes arent as good as they once were, but I still have some gun handling and shooting skills.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I chose to carry. It took me a long time to get comfertable with the idea but you know what i wouldnt be coaught without my guns I carry 2 at all timeswhen I was young 12 yrs old I had been a victom of rape 2x and a couple of abustive relationships over the years and no more. I have a wonderful husband( do not tellhim i said that ) that has edgucated me to the fullest extent lol i grew up with guns but was never really comfortable with them till 13 yes agao when i met him.

·
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I chose to carry. It took me a long time to get comfertable with the idea but you know what i wouldnt be coaught without my guns I carry 2 at all timeswhen I was young 12 yrs old I had been a victom of rape 2x and a couple of abustive relationships over the years and no more. I have a wonderful husband( do not tellhim i said that ) that has edgucated me to the fullest extent lol i grew up with guns but was never really comfortable with them till 13 yes agao when i met him.
It's great that you have a husband that is helpful. In my first marriage my husband was not gun savvy nor did he want any in the house. I did want one so we butted heads about that often. Like you, I have a great husband now and he has been supportive 100%.

·
Premium Member
10,960 Posts
I got my CHL primarily so I wouldn't have to go through the background check whenever I bought a firearm (not required in Texas when you have a license). It was about two years after I got it before I carried a gun. For the last 16 years I've carried, mainly when out with my wife, but about 75% of the rest of the time also. I always have a firearm or two when driving (a recent study estimated that 80% of all vehicles on Texas roads had guns in them. We DON"T honk our horns, we just smile and wave.), and the folding AK with 5 mags has a special place for extended trips. You could say that self defense is a motivation, but the main reason is, because I can.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Come on Ladies lets give MissKitty some support and maybe even encourage more of the ladies to join our ranks. I know that Iwould not want to be standing in front of my wife while she is pointing a gun at me including my 1911A1. Why? Because she generallyhits what she is aiming at and I like my old body as it is without any additional holes in it!!!!

·
32,481 Posts
Come on Ladies lets give MissKitty some support and maybe even encourage more of the ladies to join our ranks. I know that Iwould not want to be standing in front of my wife while she is pointing a gun at me including my 1911A1. Why? Because she generallyhits what she is aiming at and I like my old body as it is without any additional holes in it!!!!
Just give it a little time everyone. It takes a bit of time to get things off the ground .It's not like we have a red button that one hits to announce this place to everyone all at the same time. It'd be nice if we did. :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
lol quick. that would be nice wouldnt it No seariously I got mine because my husband hes weard but i love him and we both have great senced of humor ill never forget this he got maid at me and JOKINGLY said I ought to put u out or my mizery patting his thigh and I said back to him thats ok honey i can shoot back and put u put of mine and he stood there dunbfonded with a scared look on his face it was pricless ( we have ben together for 14 years you older folks know EXACTILY what im talking about lol

·
Registered
436 Posts
Because I can not run for my life anymore and if I could the bullet moves faster. Then of course cops are to heavy to carry. Then when seconds count cops are minutes away. And there are many more but I will stop here.

·
Super Moderator
26,857 Posts
I do not carry. I sometimes have a loaded weapon in the car. When I am in the house my 24/7 is loaded with "extreme shock" rounds and sits next to me at the computer. I have 2 security cameras that cover front and back of the house Not just my neighborhood but the whole area seems to have gone downhill in the last 5-6 years. As I posted in another thread on TA.net, was at a bank in the town the other day and got very concerned. That has made me start thinking about getting a concealed carry permit. Especially as I just discovered that I do not have to do the concealed carry class as I have done the NRA one.
It would also make buying weapons all that much easier. I have to go through all sorts of hoops to buy a weapon being an alien. But I enjoy shooting very much. I want to try skeet or trap. But I hate the thought of having to take someone elses life. But on my territory, one or both of us will die!

·
Registered
436 Posts
I do not carry. I sometimes have a loaded weapon in the car. When I am in the house my 24/7 is loaded with "extreme shock" rounds and sits next to me at the computer. I have 2 security cameras that cover front and back of the house Not just my neighborhood but the whole area seems to have gone downhill in the last 5-6 years. As I posted in another thread on TA.net, was at a bank in the town the other day and got very concerned. That has made me start thinking about getting a concealed carry permit. Especially as I just discovered that I do not have to do the concealed carry class as I have done the NRA one.
It would also make buying weapons all that much easier. I have to go through all sorts of hoops to buy a weapon being an alien. But I enjoy shooting very much. I want to try skeet or trap. But I hate the thought of having to take someone elses life. But on my territory, one or both of us will die!
I also hate the idea of taking someone elses life too. But as the old saying goes better them than me. Several people on different forums and probably this one too have the saying " I would rather have a gun and not need it then to need a gun and not have it". And I definitely agree with that. I had mentioning for months before I got my CC that I was thinking of getting it. The clincher for me was a neighbors friend was robbed at gun point right outside my apartment.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have loved guns all my life. Started in police work at 18, and they have been a part of my life. Where I go they go. I firmly believe in the 2nd amendment, along with other rights, like the 1st, 4th, 5th, ect. W/O the 2nd, we loose the rest. As we used to say as kids, "God, Guts and Gun's made America, free, lets keep all three!"

I should add I did loose some personal interest in shooting for a while after I had to fatally shoot somebody at work. I eventually got over it and am back plinking away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own and carry cause i will do anything to protect my family. I grew up in a military family so i have always been interested in shooting. At the moment im teaching my wife and kids to shoot which is funny cause my 11 year old can out shoot all of us.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I own and carry cause i will do anything to protect my family. I grew up in a military family so i have always been interested in shooting. At the moment im teaching my wife and kids to shoot which is funny cause my 11 year old can out shoot all of us.
Hi MBastin:

Glad to have you as a new member of the forum.

When you have the opportunity, drop over to the "New Members" section and introduce yourself. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've got a gun, because I work night time and wanted something for protection for my wife and kids when I am away... but my wife is very insecure with guns and will take a whale until she gets used to them ,,.. if she does !!! She says that I got it for myself (which is partly true :), but I really am concern for her safety and am trying to make her feel more easy with guns, without to press her to much!!! Thinking to get a airgun, to shoot in the backyard as a first step...any advise is welcome!?

·
32,481 Posts
Ya know, sometimes taking someone to a Refuse To Be A Victim NRA Refuse To Be a Victim seminar gets one around the gun insecurites. That's not the reason for going to the seminar or the reason for it. There is no emphasis on weapons or their use by the victim during the seminar.

These are free and you do not need to be a NRA member to go to one. Sign up for one yes. Signing up for one is a prerequsite, but that's all you have to do. Other than that all one has to do is show up.

Where one is in your area is also in the link.

My family and myself attended one of these seminars and are better educated about things like this and ready if such a violent attack should happen.

There are other seminars like it at the website link. Take a look at them.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts