Taurus Firearm Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Wow! Nothing like waking up to a thread that forces me to examine my soul/psyche before breakfast!

In my life I've had three gun-buying periods and they all began with the idea/need for personal defense. During the first two periods, financial considerations limited the number of guns I could own. Both times I owned only one but coveted many more found in the gun magazines of the day.

The third period began when I saw how the election of 2008 was going to turn out: and if a gun ban was on the horizon I wanted to be (hopefully) grandfathered in.

While buying a Marlin 795 .22 rifle, I learned that Missouri laws regarding handgun purchases had changed for the better, so I had to have a handgun, too. Then I learned about CC laws also having changed for the better, so I needed something concealable. And then something both lightweight and concealable. Then something lightweight, concealable and of sufficient caliber/capacity to get me out of most any bad situation.

Of course, there is no one gun that fulfills all those needs and as I learned the art of compromise I also learned something about the joys of gun trading and selling - and also of owning a gun that may only partially satisfy SD requirements (or maybe not satisfy them at all) but which look good and which, when you pick them up and feel their workmanship and potential, give you the feeling that everything is all right with the universe.

The SD needs being filled (temporarily - until the latest and greatest comes along) - I now buy guns probably out of the same mentality that makes others want to collect paintings, sculptures or fine automobiles: to posess something that is truly a work of art.

·
Administrator
35,115 Posts
I'm starting to question the "because I can reason".
Agreed. I'm just starting to question "collecting". I do have all my "need" bases covered.

Really? Well if you do have your 'need' bases covered, then I'm very envious of you. I mean, I have more guns that your average person, but not all that many, when you consider that if you encountered a situation where you and your wife and perhaps some older children needed to be armed, you could handle that situation. I don't yet feel comfortable enough to proclaim that.

"Because I can" to me is sufficient for any questioning about why I own guns. I don't have to justify myself to the government, my neighbors, or anybody. James Madison was thoughtful and insightful enough to answer that question for me, with the second amendment. It's my duty to be armed, not only to protect my family but to be part of the populace that keeps our government in check.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Well I started out with personal protection, so I bought my P-64. After a while, I decided I wanted to carry a larger caliber so I bought my 945. Then I decoded I wanted a rifle that was affordable to shoot, but had enough punch to use in an emergency situation, hence the Hi-Point 9mm. Then came my Marlin 795, because everyone should have at least one .22 rifle. After learning about their history and effectiveness, I bought a Mosin-Nagant because it's the best $100 rifle ever. And last but certainly not least came my Mossberg 500 for home defense and because I needed to cross 'shotgun' off my 'Must Have' list. Still a few left on that list, but my next purchase will be a gun cabinet or safe of some type since tucking them into a corner with trigger locks on them isn't the prettiest way to organize them. As a law abiding American, it's my right to buy firearms not just because I want to but also because I can. It's my opinion that if more level minded citizens who don't have a rap sheet owned firearms, crime rates would drop like the stock market. As I've read in a number of places before, 'An armed society is a polite society.' You would never expect Granny to pull out a S&W from her purse when some druggy tries to hold her up at the ATM with a knife because she doesn't look threatening. When criminals have to think too hard about what she might have, it's enough of a deterant to avoid the confrontation.

·
Super Moderator
26,854 Posts
I bought my first handgun for personal protection. Then I bought a couple for competition. Then I bought a couple because I wanted them. No purpose. I found myself at my LGS today looking at more because I want them guns. I always have said that all my firearms are shooters. I'm beginning to have unintended safe queens. I'm starting to think it's time to thin things out and go back to the "purpose" idea of owning firearms. Whats your ownership game plan?
Because of the person that I am, I would be more than willing to take some of those off your hands. They would be fired on a regular basis, believe me. I would give you a regular report on how they are shooting, and I would definately make sure they are not lonely.

Reactions: Shokr21

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was fortunate and am very thankful for what I have. My Father was a dealer for some 47 years and a CIII for about 20 years. About 7 years ago he dropped his licensing and began replacing anything CIII with the same rifle in a semi-auto. There have been many hundreds of firearms pass through this place and up to that point, he had been collecting the best of the best for a very long time. He was Montana's first H&K and Valmet dealer, and his specialty was sales to law enforcement.
He reached a certain point and then told me that keeping a dozen FN's was pointless since most were never fired. Same for the Valmet's, H&K's, Swiss PE57's AMT's and 550's 551's etct. etc. He began selling to people he knew appreciated them and ended up keeping only one of two of what he considered the best.... with the exception of the early Swiss rifles. There are still a lot of those.

Two years ago he gave me the entire armoury and some advice. "There is no reason to buy multiples of anything if you realistically can't shoot them all. If something new raises it's head, ask yourself what is functionally different or practicably more advanced than what you already have, and are you willing to replace it. If it's a case of just wanting it, and the money wouldn't be used for family or true necessities, then buy it, but don't buy it just because. "

I have a great cross section of some of the most proven rifles and handguns I could ever find. I now have two children and if I feel the urge, I only have to look at my wife and children, go out to the armoury and look at the racks and ask myself what the realistic priority is.

Now, will someone take my soapbox and store it where I can find it for next time? LOL

Reactions: prb and rodfair

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I too bought my first handgun for personal protection. The last handgun I bought was a PT1911, because I just had to have one.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Because i want it.

Reactions: Armd2DaTeeth

·
Registered
591 Posts
i buy because

its stops the wife spending,
it gives me a reason to buy reloading parts.
more reason to spend time reloading
i love guns,
love shooting them
and i like showing off my home made stocks
i cannot be part of the armed forces to shoot for free because of injuiry.
and many more but that is top of list

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I bought a PT1911 and M85UL to carry(which I've yet to do).

I hear last year more Realtors were killed than LEOs and I don't want to be another statistic.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When my wife askes how many guns I own I always tell her "One more than I need and one less than I want." My first guns were purchased for a reason, then I found that I liked them and as long as I have the funds I will buy what I want. I have only sold guns, ever and thankfully, only regreted one of those. Some of my guns do not get shot very often, but none of them are purchased with the intention of not shooting them.

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
I plead the 5th. Actually, I purchased another firearm today... fiscally irresponsible to say the least.
The last three "o bummer" years haven't been good to me and I had to sell a good portion of my inventory to make ends meet. I'm still not out of the woods and what do I do? buy another gun, of course. This one hasn't even been shipped and I'm eyeing another one that's on my list.
I think I'm catching on to the obama economic plan...

·
Registered
431 Posts
At this particular point in time Im not buying guns because of a growing family,however I got my basics covered I believe and I have even sold off some of my handguns that I didnt shoot very much.So now I have a four inch revolver used as my sidearm in hunting purposes,a subcompact for my daily carry,a full size auto for home protection and a compact 22 for the range and other fun.Long guns are another story and I have more than I need but like I said I have a growing family and they can be armed with them when they get bigger.When I was buying guns It was because I had $$$ burning a hole in my pocket but thats something rarely seen now

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
I like them and want more.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
As an addendum to my original post, next year for political reasons ill focus my gun collection on acquiring either an AK variant rifle, or an M-4 type weapon.I only have the cash for one, and before November 2012 rolls around it would be wise for me to own a rifle that may be illegal or too expensive to buy this time in 2013 .One cannot predict the future, but its reasonable to say if Zero gets a second term it will be a case of better to have an AK and not concretely need one, than to need one and find it registered/banned/regulated/or priced off the market.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My first--personal protection (rossi .357 stainless 6")

Next I bought a 24/7 pro in .40 to have a semi auto.

Since then I've bought & sold a little of everything-- pistols, revolvers, rifles, tactical and everything in between. I've sold all of my oddball calibers and many "repeats" within the last year or so.

Now I'm more about quality over quantity. I've gotten rid of every problematic gun.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Really? Well if you do have your 'need' bases covered, then I'm very envious of you. I mean, I have more guns that your average person, but not all that many, when you consider that if you encountered a situation where you and your wife and perhaps some older children needed to be armed, you could handle that situation. I don't yet feel comfortable enough to proclaim that.

I do feel I have enough firearms for my family to protect themselves. My childrem are grown and on their own, and all have firearms. If they were at my home and needed more firepower. I can provide it.

"Because I can" to me is sufficient for any questioning about why I own guns. I don't have to justify myself to the government, my neighbors, or anybody. James Madison was thoughtful and insightful enough to answer that question for me, with the second amendment. It's my duty to be armed, not only to protect my family but to be part of the populace that keeps our government in check.
Agreed. My because I can statement, is based simply on economics, not duty. I will defend the second ammendment to the end.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I was fortunate and am very thankful for what I have. My Father was a dealer for some 47 years and a CIII for about 20 years. About 7 years ago he dropped his licensing and began replacing anything CIII with the same rifle in a semi-auto. There have been many hundreds of firearms pass through this place and up to that point, he had been collecting the best of the best for a very long time. He was Montana's first H&K and Valmet dealer, and his specialty was sales to law enforcement.
He reached a certain point and then told me that keeping a dozen FN's was pointless since most were never fired. Same for the Valmet's, H&K's, Swiss PE57's AMT's and 550's 551's etct. etc. He began selling to people he knew appreciated them and ended up keeping only one of two of what he considered the best.... with the exception of the early Swiss rifles. There are still a lot of those.

Two years ago he gave me the entire armoury and some advice. "There is no reason to buy multiples of anything if you realistically can't shoot them all. If something new raises it's head, ask yourself what is functionally different or practicably more advanced than what you already have, and are you willing to replace it. If it's a case of just wanting it, and the money wouldn't be used for family or true necessities, then buy it, but don't buy it just because. "

I have a great cross section of some of the most proven rifles and handguns I could ever find. I now have two children and if I feel the urge, I only have to look at my wife and children, go out to the armoury and look at the racks and ask myself what the realistic priority is.

Now, will someone take my soapbox and store it where I can find it for next time? LOL
Your father was a wise man. His advice is how I have been thinking lately.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I am very lucky to have all my "need it" guns, defense, hunting and sport are pretty much covered.
Why and what I buy vary. I pick up a couple guns a year just because they are such a good buy and aost always sell them very quickly. Sometimes a gun will just stike my fancy and I will buy it, new or used doesn't matter but I have found that I don't usually keep these guns very long either.

The guns that usually make it into my collection are either old, extremely beautiful or something I have always wanted but never ran across.

Here are a few examples,

I recently picked up a S&W K22 revolver, it was produced in 1950, NIB and so pretty, I knew I may never see another, so I bought it.
Same way with my CZ-75 SP-01 shadow target, it is a custom shop gun. To rare and nice to pass up.
A couple months ago I picked up a Llama 1911 comander sized, the gun was very nice looking, great blueing and cocobolo grips but it internaly it was in bad shape. Broken sear and disconnect, plus neither safety worked. I bought it for $100, spent another $100 on parts and a couple hours later it was shooting like a champ. Just sold it for $350!

21 - 40 of 74 Posts