Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know I like my Judge, but I was looking for a plinker for months.

It supprised the heck outa me, that if I wanted a Taurus 22LR 2 inch, to plink with I had to pay more than what it would cost me to buy a 5 shot 357, in the same barrel size or a 38. I mean even if I went to another make it was the same thing.

That has bugged me for a long time. If anyone has a reasonable explaination I would love to hear it.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Good question though unfortunately not one I have an answer to. IIRC my M94 revolver was almost as much as my PT92 9mm. However the real reality check I had was when I was pricing new .22 LR revolvers and a comparable S&W 617 I was shown at the time was $200 more than the the Taurus M94.

There are good deals on M94s though if you have no reservations about purchasing one online.

M94 Blue w/ 5" barrel NIB $247.95

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=86283627

·
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only thing I hate about gunbroker, is you apparently have to find your own FFL licensee, from their list, contact them yourself, before you can even arrange to buy the thing. Budsgunshop is the same thing.

Everytime I go to them, it is some place in Far away BFE, that has the gun. Yeah, I know if I want to save the money I need to do some work. But the fees are anything from 5 to 10 more than the one I used for my PT111, and they are all at least 15 to 20 miles away from me, or "a place I know will rip you off if they get the chance." I used Gallery of Guns before, and got my PT111 for just about $300 including TRF fees, and sales tax. But every time I look at their list they either do not have many 22's or like I said the price is more than a 357 or 38.

But it felt good to get this off my system, unless someone comes up with a better reason.

·
Super Moderator
35,686 Posts
Look for a used gun. I have a Rossi M511 Sportsman, well I had one and it got ripped off so I bought a used one at a gun show for 200 bucks, stainless, small frame, 6 shot. It's a VERY accurate gun and the SA trigger is fantastic, though the DA leaves a bit to be desired. Rossi no longer offers this gun.

I'd look for a used Taurus or Rossi. You'll get a good break on the price off a new one, but be sure and check it out for wear, timing, play. Not easy to wear out a .22, though, not a lot of recoil.

·
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did finally buy a Heritage 22LR/22M, single action, but with a 4.75 inch barrel, when I was looking for a DA.

I will still look for a stubby 22 LR or 22M DA if I can find one. Of course this old man, does not get to many gun shows or gun shops.

I shoot mostly outside at a home made range on the farm, because I am there almost constantly taking care of horses and working online where I do most of my looking.
Who knows I might get lucky as I really wanted it for a beginner gun to get the wife to start shooting.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
You don't have to use one of the FFL's on the Gunbroker list. You should be able to use whatever valid FFL holder you want to. If I ever buy a gun off GB I'll be using the little shop about 20 minute from here (next town up) that I got my AR from. He became a Rock River Arms dealer for that sale. I've since bought atleast 1 gun since from him that he had in stock (my M65).

Steelheart

·
Registered
846 Posts
Good question, I never gotten to see any Taurus .22 in my area, they just don't carry them. I'm old fashioned I ain't gonna buy a gun I can't hold and look at. Robby I got a steal on a Hert. Arms .22/.22mag new 6 1/2 barrel adjust. rear outlined and fiber optic front. This gun is a tack driver at 25 yrds. in either, haven't tried further yet. Yep I know I'm a traitor but it was $129.00 otd.
And I need cheap practice.

·
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
texas shooter said:
Good question, I never gotten to see any Taurus .22 in my area, they just don't carry them. I'm old fashioned I ain't gonna buy a gun I can't hold and look at. Robby I got a steal on a Hert. Arms .22/.22mag new 6 1/2 barrel adjust. rear outlined and fiber optic front. This gun is a tack driver at 25 yrds. in either, haven't tried further yet. Yep I know I'm a traitor but it was $129.00 otd.
And I need cheap practice.
Yeah, I know I felt like a traitor too! I got the fixed sight, 4.75" Heri, 22LR/22M, for $179, but I noticed that all of their guns have gone up in the last two weeks. Like you said it shoots straight, and is cheaper than 45 Colts,or 9mm by a lot! I even got one dead center bulls eye, from 30 ft. "do not ask about the other 30 rounds. "

Actually most of them were within 3 inches of the center, but left. Hard to be more than that, when your using 8.5 by 11 paper targets. Now if I could get the same pattern with the PT111, I would be happy man. I am on an 8.5 by 11 with most of my 9MM, but always low and left. Yeah, I have read about what I am doing wrong, but been harder than HECK to arrive at the solution so far.

I will keep looking for a snubby, 22 revolver, or maybe even a snubby 22 pistol (so I can work on my semi auto shooting.)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Robby try watching your little finger, if you got the sites down, a post from NYPD and site helped me to correct my pull down. I have little feeling in mine so I grip hard at times, this will pull down EVERY TIME so now I just put it under, fixed my problem. This is on the Mill. don't have problem on 24/7, different gun, grip.

·
15,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First reasonably warm day, I will go back to my home made range!! Yeah I live on a farm with horses!

I will try again with pinky, and without. I even strapped up my wrist to see If that would have any effect.

I love that little PT111, I just have to be able to get the rounds a little closer to the center consistently.

I still have to work on keeping them to the right, and higher at the same time. The Judge, and 22 seem to be right in line with the bullsey, but a little to the left of it. I think I am pushing it left at trigger pull.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts