Taurus Firearm Forum banner

I'd like to survey the interest and usage of the PT1911 (You may select two options)

• I bought it for the low cost

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've just always wanted a 1911

• I bought it for concealed carry

• I bought it for competition shooting

• I bought it for putting big holes in small cans

• I wanted a gun that I could customize

• I read the reviews and was impressed

• This is my first handgun and I wanted a classic

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious about the motivations that have led you as PT1911 shooters to select this gun. I am allowing two options per participant and you are invited to add your comments as replies to the thread. Thanks for your participation... P.S. There is no "right or wrong" answers, nor some sinister conspiracy to prove a theory... just good humored interest in "talking" guns.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Alright, I voted low cost and impressed with reviews...

I was looking for a stainless loaded 1911 that is affordable. And with the good reviews PT1911 was getting it wasn't a difficult choice. ;)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
The reviews it was receiving made my decide on the pt1911. I also wanted a 1911 since I was in the service. I really enjoy firing it and have fun with it. After firing 1000+ rounds through it with out a hiccup, I now use it as one of my carry weapons.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Low cost ($467 out the door when they first showed up) and good reviews of which there were only one or two at the time.

I had already been through a Kimber and two Springfields, of which none were reliable or worth what they cost. I like the 1911 style and trigger so I thought I'd try the PT and if it failed or needed modding, It would be no big deal. At least not as big a deal as dealing with a $1000 gun with problems.

The first PT turned out so nice I bought another, and will be buying a stainless model in the next couple of months. In fact the only 1911's I have left out of a total of seven owned is the PT's.

·
Super Moderator
21,946 Posts
I inhereted sp some money from my Grandfather and wanted to dedicate a classic gun to him I was impressed with the price and the quality and looks of the PT 1911b. So now I have what I feel is an excellent gun that When i shoot it I will always think of him. Thanks Gramps :)

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I had always wanted a 1911 and the various reviews I had read beforehand were extremely favorable. Being a longtime Taurus proponent, I knew I couldn't go wrong. Now I'd like to add the stainless model at some future point in time.

·
Registered
906 Posts
The reviews were great for this gun and the article by Ayoob had me sold.

I really enjoy my 1911 and yet to have people give me grief for purchasing a Taurus. Not that I would care.

·
Registered
197 Posts
every review I read couldnt say enough good about the new taurus 1911 that came hot rodded from the factory.. I knew a guy that shoots IPSC that shoots one of these and he did very very well with it. I had my eye on it ever since they came out, but was holding back for the stainless version. I figured if I was going to spend that much money on a pistol I was going to get it exactly the way i wanted it. then i came across it on sale and picked it up, and never looked back! I love it..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Initially I wanted to build a 1911 but once I added up all the components the final tag was about double what my budget allowed me! I have two other 1911s, a Springer and a BUL.

I could not resist the low cost of the PT and the features you get for the money.

I ended up modifying mine the way I wanted and now it's one of the best shooting 1911s I've ever tried.

·
Registered
968 Posts
always wanted a 1911

price was a factor but not a big one. from my pt92 experience i would not hesitate to buy any taurus gun that was close to what i was looking for. might have cost me close to the price of another brand, but i know taurus will take care of me

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I already owned a Springer and an RIA but was intrigued by the advertisements of the original blued model. Since my initial purchase I have acquired one more blued and a SS model. These are first class pistols with the only failure due to a magazine that was incorrectly seated. My original is at the smith's getting 10 line ribbing between sights and a ceramic coating. Can't wait for the commander model, I'll have one or two of those models also. ;D

·
Registered
88 Posts
The best bang for the buck and the blue finish began to show a lot of character quickly. Good working pistol. An American Icon.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I gotta admit, I never really cared for 1911's. I never thought I would buy one... until I saw the stainless PT1911 in a magazine. It caught my eye and I really liked the look of it. After that, it seemed like every time I looked at a magazine or talked to someone, the PT1911 was there. I figured it must be a sign that I was meant to have one. ;D Lucky for me my wife is as much into guns and shooting as I am so I didn't have any trouble convincing her. I went to our local shop and laid one away. I picked it up last week and it is driving me crazy because I haven't been able to get out and shoot it yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I has returned another pistol for store credit, and decided this was the time to get a 1911. I was originally looking at a Springfield Milspec, but the salesman pointed me towards the PT1911. First time I've ever seen a dealer recommend something that cost LESS than the gun I'd expressed interest in. FWIW, I've had no problems other than cheap-mag blues, and the ever popular loose ambi-safety. 1,000 rounds and counting.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Bought mine because I wanted something more accurate than my PT 145. Saw the pictures posted on this site of a stainless 1911 with the Pachmyer rubber/wood grips, thought it was a good looking gun and decided to buy. In fact, the picture I saw was placed on my desk top as wall paper and everyone at the shop ooood and aaaahd and drooled over it so now I have one. I as well have issues with the ambi safety, but otherwise, no problems..LOVE this gun!! :D

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
yogiboobooranger said:
Bought mine because I wanted something more accurate than my PT 145. Saw the pictures posted on this site of a stainless 1911 with the Pachmyer rubber/wood grips, thought it was a good looking gun and decided to buy.
Just out of curiosity, was it my gun?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have always wanted a 1911 and with the elections comming up I decided now was the time to get it. After 2 months of reading on the internet and several trips to several gun stores I decided on the blued w/rail. Well found a used blued standard gun that had maybe one clip thru it for a bit less and it now lives with me. 550 rounds later and I'm liking it better each time I shoot it, espically for the features you get w/o the fancy price tag. My Kimber owning buddies secretly like it but won't admit it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I bought a Hi-Standard 1911 (used) that the gun shop folks claimed was one of the originals, but when I got it home and began to examine it I learned it was made in the Philippines. Returned it and the gun shop folks felt bad about the misrepresentation (apparently they were fooled also) so they took the gun back and sold me a new PT1911 for considerably less than the sticker price.

Everyone who shoots it - mostly die-hard 1911 folks - does better with it than with their own pistol. They give it back real quick as they seem upset that they paid all that dough for theirs but get a higher score with my Taurus.

Mine is blue and is already getting lots of "character."

1 - 20 of 47 Posts