Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot a box of CCI brass today with not issues at all. :) Shot one magazine of WWB JHP and had one FTF. I then shot Two magazines of UMC and had one FTF. Any ideas why my gun did this. I even pulled the trigger multiple times on the WWB and UMC and they would not go off. I was able to reload the UMC and then it went off, but the WWB would not go regardless of what I did.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
I had this problem once ... but I contributed it to me oiling the firing pin channel to much.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have been getting failers on WWB and UMC more and more latley. I'm not sure whats going on with there primers but they don't seem to be 100% like the years past. I save the ones that fail to fire and always try them in my Ruger P90 which fires everything becuase the hammer hits the firing pin hard as hell, and everytime I come accress something that gets a light primer strike wheather its one of my guns or not, it has alwasy fired in the P90. Lately though I have had quite a few WWB and UMC rounds that wont even fire in my P90. I have started using the blazer brass and I have not had a problem for well over 4000 rounds of that stuff

·
Registered
5 Posts
Even after Taurus fixed my PT745 for the 3rd and final time and got it just about perfect, it had a couple failures to fire with WWB. I have been getting a low opinion of that ammo. Much like Wolf ammo, it seems to have hard primers like military ammo often as. And I believe that Taurus designed the PT with just enough firing pin power to pop a regular primer vice mil spec ones. That, to keep trigger pull effort down. And for a DA only pistol, I do really like the trigger feel on the PT. They got it right.
And getting too much oil in the firing pin area will hydraulically lock it as it moves forward and lead to failures to fire as well. I flush that area out with CLP to clean it after each range session. (And clean the rest of the pistol as well.) But then I blow it out with compressed air to get out excess lube. A very light touch of grease on the rail contact areas and it's all set for next time.

I find if I run Aguilia or PMC or S&B as well as the Federal HP ammo it runs 100%. I tried some American made stuff that I can't remember the name of. Gunshop had it on sale. (I shoulda bought more!) It ran 100% too. But put WWB and you'll have a few failures to fire in a hundred rounds. Use Wolf ammo and you'll have even more.

Funny thing is I can use WWB or Wolf in my XD45 with no issues at all. All I can figure is that it's design allows the firing pin to strike the primer with more force. But then my XD is my only pistol that eats Wolf ammo with no issues. That amazes me! All my others get indigestion on it from one degree to another. I like Wolf ammo for my AK and SKS, but I don't buy their pistol ammo anymore.

I've asked about WWB on some boards and near as I can figure it's just ammo made by God knows whoever Winchester contracted it out to. Winchester doesn't make it. They farm it out. (If I am wrong on this please prove it to me!) So I stick with the better ammo in my PT and it runs happy and doesn't let me down.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does everyone seem to feel that CCI brass is pretty reliabe in their PT's? Also, do you feel CCI used the sames primers in their Gold Dots?

·
Registered
16 Posts
The only problem I've had with my PT145 was with failure to feed issues. Some of the JHP ammo with a large opening seem to hang up (nose of bullet appears to drag inside the magazine itself) as the magazine tries to push them into battery which causes them to not feed. Never experienced a light primer strike yet but don't doubt it's possible. Sent my first PT145 back to Gallery of Guns over this issue and they sent me another gun that wasn't as bad but still shows some finickiness at times with certain ammo. I've never had any problems with FMJ of any brand I've tried but do have concerns with over penetration when CCWing with it. I'm going to try out some Hornady critical defense and some Liberty civil defense to see if I have any feed or cycling problems the next time I can get out target shooting. The lighter weight of both those rounds may cause some cycling problems in my PT145 but the range test should tell me. I can tell that the Liberty ammo at 78 grains bullet weight does make for a considerably lighter carry gun compared to the 230 grain FMJ bullets in a full 10+1 round configuration and even more so when carrying an extra magazine.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
You revived a thread from 2007. That has to be some kind of record. :D

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts