Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know that we get what we pay for. I drool over the Wilson Combat 1911's. But they cost so much they even offer financing! I really like the Springfield guns and they are "reasonably" priced, but I picked up a PT 1911 for a lot less and it shoots just fine! I'm going to compete with it and I figure I'll take a bit of verbal snobbery for using it, but WHY pay $1K or more for any gun? I'll put my bullets on target and put my money into ammo and gas. Anybody else compete with one?

·
Administrator
35,278 Posts
I've read posts of people who competed with their PT1911. Why not? As far as 1911's go, they're really not bad at all. The only thing I'd like to change out on mine is the ambi-safety. I don't really have a need to flip the safety with my left hand, and it seems like just another thing to get in my way.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Now I know that we get what we pay for. I drool over the Wilson Combat 1911's. But they cost so much they even offer financing! I really like the Springfield guns and they are "reasonably" priced, but I picked up a PT 1911 for a lot less and it shoots just fine! I'm going to compete with it and I figure I'll take a bit of verbal snobbery for using it, but WHY pay $1K or more for any gun? I'll put my bullets on target and put my money into ammo and gas. Anybody else compete with one?
Well, I agree with that, but for me, none of the gun stores carry Taurus 1911's! Stupid, because I would buy one. I bought this Ruger SR1911 CMD at one store, but still paid 750 bucks for it...it does shoot and carry well though.

I would like to buy a full-sized government model, have been thinking about the Remington R1 because it's in my price range and is still a decent pistol, but I would consider a Taurus full-sized, if one of these stores around me would carry them. :(

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
I've read posts of people who competed with their PT1911. Why not? As far as 1911's go, they're really not bad at all. The only thing I'd like to change out on mine is the ambi-safety. I don't really have a need to flip the safety with my left hand, and it seems like just another thing to get in my way.
Agree with the ambi safety. I'm right handed, and to have that option would be just something else to "fatten" up the pistol.

·
Registered
17,062 Posts
Because I wanted one.
For the same reason I bought a $3000 lap steel guitar. Because I wanted one.
I feel no need to justify anything I buy. I made the money and I have my wife's permission to spend it.
However, if one of you folks buys a more expensive gun than I have, boy I''ll be so upset..
What really ticks me off is I can't hit the target at all with that darned guitar.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
A Taurus PT1911 is as good a platform as any and can be just as endlessly modified over time by adding custom parts...for that same matter, one could start with a $300 ATI and work it up from there as the itch strikes.

·
Administrator
35,278 Posts
I've converted from the full length guide rod to a GI guide rod, new recoil spring, new spring cap, I was just experimenting but I kept it in that configuration and it shoots just fine. I've had to replace the mag springs on the original magazines, I was getting nosedives into the feed ramp and it seems like the new mag springs have fixed that issue. I also ordered a 1911 mag from Woolf Springs that has an extra tension spring already in it, works great too. Simple upkeep will keep your PT1911 running.

The first mod I made to mine was right after I bought it, I put on Novak Tritium 3-dot sights, that was back in 2008. They're still glowing strong and that makes it a great home defense weapon.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
My PT1911 is old, and I have torn it down a few times to smooth and inspect how it is doing.............
Trigger is just right, runs anything I feed it, have changed out recoil spring once and use Shok-buffers in it to take wear off the slide.
Put Fiber optic sights on front and rear, other than that nothing else has been done to it...............
How does it shoot, impresses everyone who has pulled the trigger...................;)

Reactions: pwandrews and Sekol

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
I have a Taurus PT1911 Stainless and it is one of my prized possessions along with my PT92 and it's little sister PT58. I'll never sell them.

However, I also have a Kimber .380 Ultra Carry and a 9mm Ultra Carry. So, why would I want to spend about $800. for a .45acp Ultra Carry?

'Cause I want one, and once I have the extra disposable income to buy one I will. No snobbery at all...

·
Super Moderator
35,066 Posts
Because I wanted one.
For the same reason I bought a $3000 lap steel guitar. Because I wanted one.
I feel no need to justify anything I buy. I made the money and I have my wife's permission to spend it.
However, if one of you folks buys a more expensive gun than I have, boy I''ll be so upset..
What really ticks me off is I can't hit the target at all with that darned guitar.

Well, ya know, it might be a little tougher than a normal six string, but I've been watching old Hendrix tapes. I'd give it a try. :D Take THIS, you flippin', flappin' amplifier! :D

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Some people are more enamored with names than function, if they want to spend top dollar that's their problem to deal with. Me personally, I'm quite happy with my Rock Island.

·
22,292 Posts
WHY pay $1K or more for any gun?
Because you've tried two compact 1911s and they were both laughably unreliable, whereas the Colt version has been excellent?

Because they only hand-fitted so many revolvers in Hartford, Connecticut the year I was born?

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
Some people are more enamored with names than function, if they want to spend top dollar that's their problem to deal with. Me personally, I'm quite happy with my Rock Island.
Why do you think it's a problem? I doubt that any of our members spend the milk money on guns... or guitars... or golf clubs....

·
Registered
13,933 Posts
Being honest about it the Taurus PT1911 was at one time the bargain of the 1911 arena. For all that came/comes standard on the PT1911 where other manufactures either charged extra or could only be had as an aftermarket purchase and installation, it's a great priced firearm.

Then throw into the equation that the PT1911 can often be purchased in the $400 price range (albeit only one magazine at this price) it stands even taller on the list of super value for the dollar 1911s on the market.

I have owned a few of the multi thousand dollar 1911 firearms from the higher end manufactures. Notice that I said "owned", I just couldn't justify paying that high of a price for a firearm that would achieve no better results than a Taurus 1911 price in the bargain basement.

Many PT1911 owners jumped over to the Rock Island branded 1911 for value for the dollar. I'm guilty of doing so myself, but again, no longer own any 1911 pistols other than my Taurus PT1911s.

It is often said that you get what you pay for. The exception is the Taurus PT1911 and the Taurus PT92/PT99/PT100PT/PT101 in which case you get more than what you paid for.

As a disclaimer to the above statements: This is based on the full size model of the PT1911. I believe that the Commander and Officer models have not proved themselves to be as reliable in function as the full size models.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
^^^Last gun on my want list, an Officer model PT1911.^^^

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Registered
17,062 Posts
I will repeat a question someone else asked.
Why is me spending top dollar for a quality firearm a problem?
Exactly how does that affect you?
I have NEVER criticized or denigrated anyone's choice in firearms, whether they cost $500 or $1500.
They like their firearm? I think that is wonderful.
I like my firearms but you think some of them cost too much so I have a problem.
I just do not understand that statement.
I didn't buy them for you.

·
Administrator
35,278 Posts
FYI, I have a Citadel Officer 1911 that has been utterly reliable. It's a bit heavy, but I do carry it and I've never had a problem with it at all. Takedown is interesting, it's not like a 1911 at all but once you're used to it, not a big deal at all.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts