Taurus Firearm Forum banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
The Millennials are now beginning to buy homes in greater numbers. I think that the Great Recession and college debt stunted the growth there and the possibility of home ownership. Gen Z, which is the group now just graduating college this year at the oldest part of that range have the college debt as well as the belief that the world will end in 12 years. When they hit 30 the realization that they are still here will dawn on them and they will begin planning more for the future.

https://realestate.usnews.com/real-estate/buying/articles/2019-01-04/will-2019-be-the-year-of-the-millennial-homebuyer

Another factor may be the burgeoning addiction that we see with the resurgence of marijuana use promoted by legalization, along with the kid focused alcohol flavors offered. Any addiction can slow or stunt the maturation process and also lead to depression.
All true. And also discussed at the seminar. But it all begins with the developing brain. I learned things that just blew me away. My purpose, and the purpose for the seminar was to give the people who attended a perspective on the development of the adolescent - particularly the Gen Z kids. Basically, if we don't know what makes them tick, we have a tough time connecting with them.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
All true. And also discussed at the seminar. But it all begins with the developing brain. I learned things that just blew me away. My purpose, and the purpose for the seminar was to give the people who attended a perspective on the development of the adolescent - particularly the Gen Z kids. Basically, if we don't know what makes them tick, we have a tough time connecting with them.

Ya gotta speak THEIR language --- sorry, but that's the way it is. They don't know any other.

·
Registered
18,485 Posts
Ya gotta speak THEIR language --- sorry, but that's the way it is. They don't know any other.
That leaves me out...:unsure:...I couldn't even learn to speak Canadian.

·
Super Moderator
35,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Reactions: Flash60601

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I'm old enough to remember when a 24-hour news network was a new thing. Shortly after CNN and Fox News became a thing, we saw the rise of the helicopter parent and similar phenomena as people who were so inclined could find a steady stream of really terrible things happening to people all over the world, because actual news is pretty thin on the ground, so networks with 24 hours to fill started running every small town terrible thing that happened. All of those terrible things are still quite rare (violent crime and the like is down pretty much across the board in the US over the last few decades), but now they got to hear about more of them, and they reacted accordingly.

Social media and always-on connectivity in your pocket only made this worse, while also allowing people the ability to self-select into groups that only reinforced their views. Now not only is your feed full of terrible things, but it's full of a ton of people that are all too happy to tell you how to feel about those and why you should reject any differing opinions. Not only that, but all of those people in your feed are clamoring to be heard, and the only surefire amplifier of volume in a space defined by 280-character missives is hyperbole. As a result, everything is the worst thing ever and everyone you disagree with is a fascist or a totalitarian or otherwise Hitler incarnate instead of just being someone that you disagree with, and things not going the way you want is a calamity of epic proportions because everyone else in your self-made echo chamber has laid out why it's awful and who is to blame for it.

For a recent example of the excesses of this hyperbole, #WWIII was pretty short and quite restrained compared to its predecessors.

The Millenials and Zoomers have the tragic misfortune of being the test case for what this media environment does to people in their formative years. I can totally understand them not being super thrilled about it.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Not so sure. .... My parents never spoke MY language and it never adversely affected my happiness. ...... But then, what could affect my happiness was the paddle that the principle kept in his desk.

Reactions: bigC and Czechbikr

·
Super Moderator
35,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I'm old enough to remember when a 24-hour news network was a new thing. Shortly after CNN and Fox News became a thing, we saw the rise of the helicopter parent and similar phenomena as people who were so inclined could find a steady stream of really terrible things happening to people all over the world, because actual news is pretty thin on the ground, so networks with 24 hours to fill started running every small town terrible thing that happened. All of those terrible things are still quite rare (violent crime and the like is down pretty much across the board in the US over the last few decades), but now they got to hear about more of them, and they reacted accordingly.

Social media and always-on connectivity in your pocket only made this worse, while also allowing people the ability to self-select into groups that only reinforced their views. Now not only is your feed full of terrible things, but it's full of a ton of people that are all too happy to tell you how to feel about those and why you should reject any differing opinions. Not only that, but all of those people in your feed are clamoring to be heard, and the only surefire amplifier of volume in a space defined by 280-character missives is hyperbole. As a result, everything is the worst thing ever and everyone you disagree with is a fascist or a totalitarian or otherwise Hitler incarnate instead of just being someone that you disagree with, and things not going the way you want is a calamity of epic proportions because everyone else in your self-made echo chamber has laid out why it's awful and who is to blame for it.

For a recent example of the excesses of this hyperbole, #WWIII was pretty short and quite restrained compared to its predecessors.

The Millenials and Zoomers have the tragic misfortune of being the test case for what this media environment does to people in their formative years. I can totally understand them not being super thrilled about it.
In addition, the people who are just marginally insane have their crazy thoughts and impulses ratified by some other crazy person 3,000 miles away...they start to think they are normal and free to act.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
In addition, the people who are just marginally insane have their crazy thoughts and impulses ratified by some other crazy person 3,000 miles away...they start to think they are normal and free to act.
Exactly - enough people find enough other people that agree with them and exclude all other input because it makes them feel bad and they collectively reject anything that doesn't reinforce that narrative.

This is the crux of social media's insidious twist on the already-extant self-selection of news sources - it adds ingroup/outgroup dynamics - you can't disagree with the group at all for fear of exile or your fake internet points going down.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
They don't think enough. Thinking deeply about where we are and why. Yeah it's a mystery - Jesus Christ provides us with a way to get home again. To be in God's grace and to know his ultimate will and power was, is now and for ever will be. He was, is and is to come.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts

"just marginally insane " ??????

I've never met any of those.

Everybody else is just like me, sane and direct and totally alright - - - or else totally bat-crap loony! There is no "in-between". If it weren't so, this world would be entirely polarized.:)

·
Super Moderator
35,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
"just marginally insane " ??????

I've never met any of those.

Everybody else is just like me, sane and direct and totally alright - - - or else totally bat-crap loony! There is no "in-between". If it weren't so, this world would be entirely polarized.:)
I meant those with the propensity to go off the deep end. Picture the person on the high dive...they have their toes hanging off the end of the board...but they look down and still imagine the consequences. Then..they see the other guy go off a higher stand and make the leap.

Reactions: Flash60601

·
Registered
962 Posts
One of the biggest things that I think is driving young people to being angry and unhappy is Lack of disappointment and discipline during young life. What I mean is everything has a label now. ADD, ADHD, Depression, Anxiety blah blah blah. Your kid is acting stupid in school, they have a label and cover for that, they have an excuse. Your kid has a conniption because something doesn't go their way, doctor has a label or psychological term for that. Parents being airheaded to the truth accept the label as truth and roll with the excuse. Fast forward to adult hood. That child has never experienced discipline, disappointment, or dealt with emotions growing up. They don't know how to deal with it. Now instead of just throwing a fit in there room they have access to weapons. Older folks, think about it. Really look at the trend.

School called me about my 8 year old constantly disrupting class. Teacher said I believe he has ADHD or something. The disruptions have been going on since the year started and she never told us anything though. No notes or phone calls. My son had some real behavior modification methods applied. Teacher told us at the parent teacher conference he is a different child and his behavior improved 10 fold.

·
Super Moderator
35,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
^^ A reality check was applied. When I was growing up and there was an incident at school, my parents would punish me for my part in it and for making the nuns having to apply discipline. Now the first call the parents make is to their attorney, and second to get the kid some pills (which many times the Mom then consumes).

·
Registered
962 Posts
I really don't understand, especially the older generation. Why everyone refuses to look at the trend. You can see as discipline has fallen off behavioral problems have went up. I mean, yea, all kids from all generations had trouble makers and kids doing stupid things. It's part of it. It's become more prevalent in recent years however.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
First day of shool, and we parents were taking our children to school. We were introduced to the teachers and each had abut a five minute coversation with child, teacher, and parents involved. In a classsroom with a teacher my eldest had the year before, I overheard a discussion another mother had with the teacher: "My llittle Claude will NEVER be any trouble. We've raised him by the advise of all the really authentic child-guidance experts. He is a terribly sensitive child, and if he does ever happen to give you a problem, just smack the child next to him."

·
Registered
16,860 Posts
Why are so many young people unhappy?
Well, maybe it's the 47 piercings, 18 tattoos and a hair color not found in nature
and they just saw themselves in a mirror for the first time.
Or, they've tried so hard to be an individual, to stand out and then end up looking
exactly like their peers.
Or, they just don't understand why working hard and being productive is a good thing
and why they can't earn a living living in mommy's basement.
Bring back the draft. It will either straighten them up and teach them respect or they will end up in jail.
Either way they will be out of our hair.
Or, like another poster said..........they just choose to be.
I know 3 people I have never seen smile, heard laugh or say something lighthearted.
They suck the light out of any room they enter.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I feel a major contributor is liberal fearmongering especially in the influential celebrity areas. So many millennials and Gen Xs are committing suicide and ODing more than ever. This sends a message to our youths to end it instead of deal with it.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
^^ A reality check was applied. When I was growing up and there was an incident at school, my parents would punish me for my part in it and for making the nuns having to apply discipline. Now the first call the parents make is to their attorney, and second to get the kid some pills (which many times the Mom then consumes).
I'll tell you what, when I attended "Religious School", I learned in fast manner that the Nuns could be one tuff bunch.
I can still feel the wooden ruler on my knuckles. I must have been a real pain in the ass to push them to that point.

Maybe that's why my Parents sent me to religious school?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
So many young people are unhappy? Duhh, i'm unhappy with the soiled little pukes too. LOL

·
Registered
244 Posts
The thing with that article (and everything by that same author) is that if you don't have the same values and beliefs as Dennis Prager, Dennis Prager thinks you must be sad, immoral, and a danger to yourself and others. Obviously, I'm not a fan of Dennis Prager.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts