Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got two questions. 1. If there is warning of a booby trap and the intruder is maimed or killed by said trap is it still considered a trap because you had placed warning signs? 2. Why is it illegal for me to place a trap to keep people out of areas that are marked private, no trespassing, and keep out?

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Blame Jessica Rabbit, no man needs to go through that...

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Are we talking a tripwire hooked to a bucket set to pour nasties on someone's head........or punji sticks and claymores?

·
23,101 Posts
First of all, wow.

Secondly, (and this is a totally theoretical "if," because it will not happen) I convinced myself I needed to do something so extreme, I absolutely cannot imagine a system so foolproof that the thought of a lost child wouldn't keep me from ever getting a wink of sleep.

Thirdly, wow.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not talking about walking through a yard and falling into a pit with sharpened bamboo sticks. I am talking about something that you have to FORCE YOURSELF into. My shop you can't get out if you get locked in. Theoretically, if you was a thief, broke into my shop through the window (only point of entry besides the door and gate) you can't get out because its secured from the outside and the window becomes in accessible. I have several warnings on the outside of the building. The locks are those Sargent and Greenleaf security locks. If someone was to break into the shop I can tell you they wouldn't get out until I came out there. For the hell of it I had a buddy attempt to get out after the window was secured. He couldn't do it. The window has a steel grate that falls into place and hooks into bar with a latch and spring mechanism. It requires a some tools to release it. Was told this is considered a trap and I could get sued even with warning signs, I like it, makes me sleep good knowing tools and toys are safe. .
Are we talking a tripwire hooked to a bucket set to pour nasties on someone's head........or punji sticks and claymores?

·
Registered
15,245 Posts
I believe booby traps are legal so long as they are non-lethal. If they weren't, the exploding paint packets in money stolen from banks would be illegal.

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its not where I live, We have a lot of meth heads coming out the county lately for some reason. My buddy lost a whole BOAT, a couple people had stuff stole out of a garage, storage shed, I mean, they are actually breaking into building and stealing stuff. Not just stealing everything that is exposed and not bolted down. (recent crackdown by local LEO) Has been pushing them to find more stuff.
If I ever feel the need to go to those extremes, I’ll either move somewhere I feel safer... or seek professional help.

·
Registered
19,576 Posts
Sounds like everything you have there is about as much a trap as a door closer or spring hinges.

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
23,101 Posts
Asking people on a national forum is no way to get the information you need. If you get the wrong answer and find out the hard way that it was the wrong answer, you may well spend twice what your entire building and contents are worth before it's all straightened out.

Talk to a lawyer, your insurance agent, maybe the Sheriff.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I never thought about it as a trap, I thought about it as being secured. Its just one of those, you cant get out once you get in secured.
Sounds like everything you have there is about as much a trap as a door closer or spring hinges.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
If the window has a steel grate, how would they break in?

·
Premium Member
5,495 Posts
I got two questions. 1. If there is warning of a booby trap and the intruder is maimed or killed by said trap is it still considered a trap because you had placed warning signs? 2. Why is it illegal for me to place a trap to keep people out of areas that are marked private, no trespassing, and keep out?
Typically in America, you are only allowed to use the amount of force necessary. Deadly force is generally only authorized when you feel an imminent threat of death or serious bodily injury and in most jurisdictions it is also authorized to protect others from death or serious bodily injury. A booby trap could kill or seriously injure someone when there is no threat of bodily harm to anyone.

It's possible you could get away with a booby trap in your own home, since you are there and could fear for your life, but it would still be hard to justify killing an intruder while you sleep (since you did not apprehend imminent harm).

Some don't seem to comprehend that it costs "life" to accumulate your property, so they don't believe property should be protected with deadly force. We risk our lives every day going to work to provide for us and ours, and we consume our lives doing so. I believe the value of property is in they eye of the owner. If you're an idiot crook and think my goods are worth your life, that's your call. If you don't think it's worth dying for, don't take it. However, common sense doesn't play in our society.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I once read that judges are so lenient on alcoholics because they are alcoholics themselves. Maybe the judges and lawmakers are so lenient on thieves...?
:)

What if the answer was "a little more than Home Alone, but not as much as Home Alone 2"? :)

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
If I ever feel the need to go to those extremes, I’ll either move somewhere I feel safer... or seek professional help.
1) Cost could be a factor here. Any sort of move can incur serious cost in terms of money and time. :(

2) Professional help is costly too. Have you seen the hourly charge to have someone from Blackwater patrol your premises? Not to mention the presence of an armed security detail might make people think you're nuts. ;D

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Super Moderator
20,062 Posts
I’m not really sure how this would be any different than any other warning signs that get posted. “Beware of Dog”; “These premises protected by S&W”; etc. I guess you could post a “Venomous snake storage” sign on the door.

Wouldn’t hurt to have a Masters degree from the Rube Goldberg Institute of Overthought Mechanical Engineering!

·
Registered
15,245 Posts
A person could do an awful lot with a large cache of rat traps. you don't necessarily want to kill the thieves, but after enough snaps, it would provide a pretty strong deterrent.

·
Super Moderator
40,657 Posts
One could argue having an alarm system is a booby trap.

My understanding of the spirit of the law is that anything that can cause harm or make one suffer is considered a booby trap. So having an alarm system could cause the police to show up and the criminal to get arrested. He would then suffer jail time and fines. I know i'm pushing it but snowflakes can push their agenda.

Reactions: kschilk

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Ask a fireman....maybe he knows.....

You might also ask the parents of most 8 year old boys. Dang they can get themselves into trouble.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts