Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
32,481 Posts
The only magical bullet is the Coors Silver Bullet. Reference their commercials for confirmation!
Stops Weirdwolves in their tracks. Railroad at that.

10-12 hits and whoever it is is out cold.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Everclear is the .45 ACP of the liquor world, one shot, one kill!!!!

LOL!!!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Everclear is the .45 ACP of the liquor world, one shot, one kill!!!!

LOL!!!
Shot placement is still king,as Everclear from a shot glass has a different effect on the target than one from a girls belly.

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
While some may feel that the .45, or the .40, or the 9mm are the "best", you'll note that I stay away from such claims. In today's world, there will always be some way to find a "failure" to stop, even if it's just due to sloppy records.

The 9mm FMJ has a record 100 years long, as does the .45 ACP. The rest are just new-comers. Of the two, in FMJ, the .45 ACP has the better record. As our military hedged it's bets, changing calibers, while giving the newer, smaller, one the benefit of almost twice the capacity, the results have been mixed. Making the gun larger has also led to problems in the ability of the people who use it to grip the weapon properly. I recall seeing in print how the 9mm, with reduced recoil, was going to allow for better hit potential by those with smaller hands, and more recoil sensitive. Then, we make the gun too large for small hands, and pump the velocity up, resulting in more recoil impulse. Sad.

For civilians, pick what you want. There are platforms in various calibers that meet just about anyone's need. Small hands? Just pick a smaller gun in the caliber that you want. Recoil shy? There are guns that chamber less recoil producing calibers.

Huge numbers of people were killed by projectiles managing to produce under 100 ft/lbs of energy. Huge numbers were killed by edged weapons, as well.

·
Registered
36,018 Posts
The military really doesn't care if the issue rounds that they use are available to the public, or not. It's the anti-gunners hysteria that has caused the military-grade 5.7x28 ammo to be restricted, and nothing else. We shouldn't allow such shenanigans to deprive our men and women of the best available.
Well and for good reason as well!
Just think if the 5.7 ever got produced with Black Talon projectiles no human being would be safe!
that killer round and those killer projectiles!
there would be blood in the streets I tell ya!

·
Registered
36,018 Posts
Shot placement is still king,as Everclear from a shot glass has a different effect on the target than one from a girls belly.
Well hell Yea!
I second that , maybe even a third!
sounds like this man has been to some firefighter parties!!!

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Why 9mm?
The OP is delving into the mysteries of the Universe and will never get an answer that can be understood by mortal men.

Might as well ask "Why is a Volvo?" or "How is an orange?" or "What is a freem?"

Be wary of soothsayers who pretend to have the answer.

·
Super Moderator
26,854 Posts
Why 9mm? Coz BUTT's not here!
Thats what I own and trust!

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
The 9mm is European, sized in metric. If it drank anything, it would have to be tea in the morning and wine in the afternoon..
The .45 on the other hand, is all American. We're talking, strong, black, bitter coffee in the morning and a beer with a JD chaser after work.

·
Super Moderator
34,942 Posts
In a 3" pocket 9 like my Kel Tec P11, I consider the 9mm +P load (CorBon 115s, 1260 fps) more the equal of a .357 magnum from a 2" snubby firing a 125JHP than comparable to any .38. It's HOT. The .38 is plenty enough for self defense, but the 9 is more when loaded properly. I shoot a Hornady XTP 115 JHP at 1263 fps out of my Kel Tec. It's pretty devistating on trapped hogs. I have confidence it's enough for self defense. I'm not in the military. I'm interested in personal defense and the little subcompact 9s are among the very best choices in compact power for self defense.

The military requires FMJ, I don't.

The difference in the 9 and the .38 is PRESSURE! The +P, IIRC, works at 35K CUP. I can't remember the .38 and am too lazy to look it up, but I think it's around 18,500CUP or so for +P, correct me if I'm wrong. But, it's considerably LESS pressure. The 9 pushes pressures closer to the .357 magnum and its faster, more efficient powders allow for the performance in short barrels of the .357 without all the flash bang.

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
Ok, but I have no idea where those velocities come from. The Speer +P 124 gr. GD, from a 3.5" barrel, makes 1150 fps, and 364 ft/lbs. A shorter barrel, by another .5" would bring it down slightly more.

The .357 ammunition, in a 2" VENTED barrel, uses a 135 gr. bullet @ 990 fps. and 300 ft/lbs.

HOWEVER, that same ammo, in a J-frame with a 3" barrel, handily beats the 9mm +P. Never mind the 3.5" barrel.

The .38 Special suffers from being old. There are guns out there that are chambered in .38 Special when it was loaded with black powder. A modern loading of +P would blow them apart in short order. There have been attempts load hotter .38 Special cartridges, like the +P and +P+, made in the 1930s.

In the end, though, the .357 Magnum was the answer that factories went to.

Then again, there are any number of 9x19 guns that will also disassemble themselves when fired with +P or +P+ loads with any regularity.

Short-barrel ballistics are a fairly new avenue, made important only in the past decade, with the passage of CCW laws nationally. Really, what passes as the latest and greatest loads in December, 2011, may well be relegated to the realm of the puny by December of 2012.

Great news for the debate, right?

·
32,481 Posts
Both calibers ( .38 Special and 9x19) give a good level of protection out of the short barrels if the proper ammo is picked.
Speer's 135gr. +P Gold Dot, Short Barrel ammo, LSWCHP +Ps made by Remington,Buffalo Bore, and Winchester are appropriate rounds as well. So are two of the three Buffalo Bore standard pressure rounds.

Corbon makes some wicked rounds as well. Hornady has excellent +P and standard pressure ammo. These are just examples, but what it boils down to is pick a caliber and proper ammo. Then you can feel confident in what you carry.

All this goes for snub revolvers or longer barreled gun brethren.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Short of religion and politics, nothing will stir folks up like "why 9mm."

A lot of GI's in WII did not make it home because of the 9mm, so the 9mm effectiveness in application cannot be dismissed.

A handgun is sub-optimal for self-defense, but a good compromise if you need compact, concealable firepower. Most factory ballistics are based on a "standard" 4" barrel. People will then assume the technical parameters translate to, say, a 2" to 3" subcompact. They rarely do if you get the gelatin and chrono out. The exception may be ammo specifically for shorter barrels. So in a very small configuration you will carry every day, no sin in exploiting the compact geometry of the 9mm.

I know a lot of LEO's still carrying 9mm. I also know that local PD's make cost decisions based on ammo, some with the old fashion notion that more range time means better officer performance in the field. I also know several "urban" departments which opted for 40 S&W not because they did not like the 9mm with respect to the effect on the bad guy, but 9mm would go through walls in apartments not separated by the concrete fire wall. 40 S&W has an interesting behavior in how it bleeds it's energy off in flight after a point, hence tends not to kill the baby in the crib next door as the round passes through a couple sheets of drywall or layers of plaster and inches of fiberglass or blown cellulose insulation (reference ballistics study performed by the Phillie PD during early 2000's). The PA State Police was unimpressed with 40 in application in the field and went to the 45 GAP (certainly not a cost motivated decision!!!). In addition to enforcing law in small towns and boroughs who no longer can afford local PD, they patrol long stretches of roads with no one around, and were convinced that 45 GAP delivered better performance relative to their concerns.

So what's my point? Modern bullets are pretty nasty. I have unpleasant personal experience being a backstop of 9mm EFMJ, and if the placement was right, I'd not be typing this right now. A 45 at same point of impact would not have changed the outcome one iota.

Keep this in mind - a .22 in the balls will cause the average male to bleed out in 4 minutes if medical assistance in not immediate.

Placement, placement, placement.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
A Phased Plasma Rifle in the 40 watt range with auto targeting and insta-kill is the best personal defense weapon.

Merry Christmas TA!! May your favorite caliber be waiting under the tree for you all.

Reactions: galawdog

·
Registered
548 Posts
I chose my 9mm simply due to it being cheap as hell to shoot and that its ideal for comps. 9mm in my eyes is also great for beginners (wives & kids) to start getting into shooting. Now as for self defense it would be used with Hydra shocks (or similar) only as a backup for my tactical 12ga that sits right under my side of the bed and it fully loaded with double 00 buck and there will soon be a AR15 sitting under my wifes side of the bed loaded with ballistic tips. I can honestly say being its the small town Im in I dont ever forsee needing to use anything for self defense but ya never know.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
A Phased Plasma Rifle in the 40 watt range with auto targeting and insta-kill is the best personal defense weapon.

Merry Christmas TA!! May your favorite caliber be waiting under the tree for you all.
I prefer 60 watts, you can keep your wimpy 40 watt plasma rifle. I'll come back with supportive data . . .

in about . . .

never mind.

:angel:

·
Registered
36,018 Posts
well I have the choice (several) of toting 45 Acp in a range of different configurations, same for the 380, and the 9 mm.
I tried the Taurus 709 as I really liked the size and weight, capacity ddin't really bother me in a tote pistol, I just didn't fit the 709 and so ended up with a Beretta PX4 SC in 9mm, not because it is cheap to shoot, or because of the recoil but because its small, fairly light but mostly because I can shoot the eyes out of a target at out to about 18 yards with it, fast recalibratcion of the target with the 92 grain all copper projectiles,380 ft pound sof energy and good penetration, capacity if I need it and still small size.
Now I can't get that in my beloved 1911 , yea i know the officers model but its a long story of reliability with me and an officers model, so not comfortable with any of them as tote pistols smaller than the commander size.
but as has been said it all boils dowwn to what you can shoot, afford, and like, I am never without my lil Sig 238 and thats the most important, to have soemthing with you when you need it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I prefer 60 watts, you can keep your wimpy 40 watt plasma rifle. I'll come back with supportive data . . .

in about . . .

never mind.

:angel:
No, no, no! Those 60 watt beams are too wide. This really is all about sectional density, you know...

·
Registered
733 Posts
Practice...
Placement...
One gun is better than none ;)

101 - 120 of 127 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.