Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting to get the bug for a 1911 and after some discussion need to find out is the PT1911 design based on a Smith-type 1911 or Colt-type 1911 or is it a proprietary design?

Basically, once obtained (whichever 1911 ultimately) I want to be able to work on it using Wilson Combat aftermarket innards, etc. to turn it into a smooth and extremely accurate target/match pistol.

Any insights GREATLY appreciated.....

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
RetiredSwabbie said:
Starting to get the bug for a 1911 and after some discussion need to find out is the PT1911 design based on a Smith-type 1911 or Colt-type 1911 or is it a proprietary design?

Basically, once obtained (whichever 1911 ultimately) I want to be able to work on it using Wilson Combat aftermarket innards, etc. to turn it into a smooth and extremely accurate target/match pistol.

Any insights GREATLY appreciated.....
Not to say it isn't worth tweaking, but the PT1911 is one of the best "Out of the Box" 1911's you can get. I have found mine to be extremely accurate, more so then any Kimber, Springfield or any other high dollar 1911. Even though I am a smithy, I have not done anything other then putting on a set of Colt Delta Elite grips to mine. It is also very smooth, reliable and I use mine for competition shooting often. Main reason I haven't done anything to mine is that it is a very early model, purchased in the first couple of months they were released and I like the idea of it remaining stock.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick response! Very much appreciate the guidance...

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Yo stingray: I just clicked on the thread you left on your post, & read
that review. If I am seeing clearly, those pictures of the PT1911 look
like a stainless model. And they are not even out for the public, as yet.

Very curious, I find that.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
(The official name is Taurus Model PT 1911, and this .45 ACP pistol was introduced at the 2005 S.H.O.T. Show in January.)

That's part of the article from the review that stingray posted. But, there's
really no way to tell if those stainless pics were indeed from the 2005 S.H.O.T Show,
or more recent pics. If indeed they were recent pics, then perhaps the stainless
version is just around the corner.

Oh well, time will tell.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts