Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my SC resident CWP about 13 days ago. The day I received it, I started on the next part of the journey of being an armed, responsible citizen:

Got online and requested my Florida Non-resident license.

Got the packet today, have started filling out everything.

I received:
-return manilla envelope
-DACS-16036 Rev 11/07 (formerly LC4E119) (aka "Application for concealed weapon/firearm license")
-FBI/DOJ FD-258 (Rev. 5-11-99) (aka "fingerprint card")
-instruction pub/Chapter 790 Florida Statutes pamphlet

all sent free for the asking, courtesy of the FL taxpayers ($1.51 postage- thanks very much, Florida!)

Anyone know if I'm missing anything? Got any tips, how long it'll take for them to get my license back to me, etc?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Make sure you send in proof that you attended a S.Carolina CWP class. (Sending a copy of your permit is not enough)

Go to the location you took your CWP class at and they'll give you the paperwork you need to submit to Florida. I went through this with my wife about a year ago when she got her Florida and Utah permits.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was about to call my CWP instructor and see if I could get some input from him, perhaps have him sign a letter stating that

"I, ____ _____ certify that ____ ______ attended a course for CWP certification at ______ on _____ day and successfully passed. My NRA certification number is ___ and I am a certified NRA instructor"

- and then have it notarized by the notary on staff at the gunshop.

(the certification and NRA stuff being his of course)

·
Registered
34 Posts
It is funny that they won't accept a copy of a CCW license, but I was able to use a copy of my Arkansas Hunter Education card. I had attended a class, but it was easier to just to copy the card than to call around and try to get some forms from the CCW instructor.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Did you get your utah license also?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I'm a Florida resident and have been waiting 64 days now. I called and they said they are really backed up.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
seems like everyone is that way. No matter, I'm not planning any out-of-state trips to SC-CWP-unfriendly states anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I'm a Florida resident and happy to contribute to the $1.51 postage! How about letting Florida CCW holders carry in S.C.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have no problem with it, it's SLED that's the problem

Given my choices, I'd have folks able to carry everywhere.

Given King of the World status, all law-abiding citizens would be required to carry, 24/7

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just got my FL ccw paperwork,and it doesn't mention anything about having to send a passport photo.I'm in GA and have my GA ccw permit.So what all extra do i need to send back with this paperwork?Also am i correct in that my fee is 117.00?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I'm lucky many of the states along the east coast that I go to are reciprical states for Alabama.

SC is not one of em of course :-\

·
Registered
16 Posts
They put your picture on the permit so if you don't provide a passport-sized picture, it'll just delay your permit.
Always got a chuckle out of the Commissoners name. "Charles Bronson".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Before I moved to Florida, I had the out of state license. I lived in NY at the time and I got my license in the mail like two weeks after I mailed out the application.

I came down to Florida and I did the livescan at one of the police precincts, so that probably sped things up.

You do need, I believe, two passport photos with the application. The instructions should say. I remember there being a sample photo of a lady in the paperwork.

And South Carolina does have reciprocity with Florida, the only hitch is that its only reciprocal with residents and not non-resident.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hmmm, sounds like it's starting to back up again -- I submitted my paperwork in mid-September 2009, and got my Florida CWP four weeks later...

·
Registered
876 Posts
NYPD™ said:
Make sure you send in proof that you attended a S.Carolina CWP class. (Sending a copy of your permit is not enough)
In MN, I added my NRA Instructor Number to the course completion certificate that I give to my students. This qualifies for FL.

·
Registered
113 Posts
two passport photos, actually had my wife take them printed at WM then cut to proper size, a copy of your training certificate, fingerprint card and completed application. I believe that is all you need. Be sure to read the instructions several times! Also handy to have 2 fingerprint cards in case one gets messed up. I ordered two packets myself, which turned out great, as I made a mistake on the first card.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Oh yea, money too!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts